p90x vs Insanity

Options
Now that it's winter, I'm looking for something to do inside... I've heard alot of good things about P90X and Insanity. Any feed back from anyone who has used one or both programs would be great! Are you seeing results? Which one did you like better? :smile:

Replies

• Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing......Thanks for posting.....!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Both are great programs. I'm actually doing my second P90X/Insanity hybrid (have done 3 rounds of P90X also). Insanity is much more cardio intense with NO weights and, believe me, it's INSANE. P90X is a combination of weight training along with Kenpo, plyometrics and yoga.

For a first timer, Insanity could be tough. Whichever program you choose will really depend on your goals.

As far as which one I prefer? I actually prefer both combined although I'd probably never do a round of Insanity. Can't give up lifting heavy weights. :happy:
  • toasterhez
    Options
    i've been jogging in place on a mini-trampoline while watching TV.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I haven't done P90X but I'm Team Insanity! LOL

I didn't even get into shape for it (tired that route and I ended up hating my body even more)

So if you have that mind set "Go Hard or Go Home", Insanity is worth (so is P90X - both intense workouts and give great results) (I admit I'm impatient and rather see fast results and Insanity gave me just that)

I seen all types of body shapes do Insanity and see changes when they post their progress pics.

Shaun T says to do it at your pace and the best you can do. Since the other people take their own short breaks through out the workout it doesn't make me feel guilty when I need a little break.

It's also about choosing a fitness trainer that will keep you going! In a few months I will be owning P90X since my husband wants it but for me I'm a Shaun T fan. Just love him whether its in Insanity or Hip Hop Abs =). For the most part my body transformation was made by Shaun T =) LOL
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I haven't been able to finish a round of Insanity because I always seem to get sick around the second week (yay working with little kids!!). But, even with the off-and-on, stop-and-start, I've noticed great results. I'm working on it again and I'm trying my hardest to get through it this time!! The main reason I chose Insanity over P90X is because I didn't need to buy extra equipment, it's purely your own body resistance and weight. I've heard of people adding ankle or wrist weights on their 3rd or so round but its not necessary. I know a bunch of people that have used P90X and LOVED the results. Whichever you choose you'll see results if you're dedicated!
  • Roskarin
    Roskarin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have done both (P90X twice). This is my first time doing Insanity, I started the first week of November. And to be honest I have seen faster results in Insanity. My first week I have lost 1.5 inches off my waist and the second week another 1- 1.5 inches. However I am not quite sure if it is really accurate I keep thinking I must have measured wrong or something but it's just me doubting myself that it is too good to be true. But it feels GREAT!!! I do however like P90X Tony Horton, he's funner and funnier and entertaining. Shaun T from Insanity is just like blah, push it!!! Tony's motto is Do you're best and forget the rest and I like that. I saw results with his program as well but it took just a little bit longer.
    P90X works all the body and confuses your body's workout, whereas I think Insanity your body kind of gets use to it. I definitely like P90X AB workout better so I incorporate that in my Insanity workout instead of Shaun T's AB workout.
    Also it depends on your time constraint. Insanity is nice because it is only like 40 mins and you burn a lot of calories.
    P90X videos are an average of 50-75 minutes depending what day. But you really work all parts of your body and feel it everywhere.

When I finish Insanity I will let you know for sure the difference in my results.
  • BeNNNN_
    Options
    whats p90x and insanity? O_O link me plz D:
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bring up this topic: P90X vs. Insanity.
    I will be starting the Insanity Challenge in Jan. '11 (60 days), followed by P90X (90 days).
    So reading this gives me an idea of what I need to expect.
    I will keep everyone posted on how the body is changing, so if someone ask the same question again can give them evidence on both.

Good luck everyone with there weight loss.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    im doing insanity its hard its alot of the mental aspect you get out what you put in i still cant complete the warmup im 11 pounds lighter in 3 weeks id probably be less but the damn weekends haha and ive heard alot about p90x too theyre both good p90 is more strength training ive heard it has more breaks but its longer but the cardio end of insanity is just that its insane im probably gonna do both tho im gonna do p90x when im done with insanity
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I've done a round of P90X and I just completed Insanity. They both have their positives and negatives. I absolutely loved Insanity, but would not have even come close to completing it if I hadn't done P90X first. The cardio in P90X doesn't compare to that of Insanity, but P90X has the strength trainging part down. Which is why you are seeing alot of P90X/Insanity Hybrids around lately.

And just when you thought Insanity was crazy enough, along comes P90X MC2 and Insanity: The Asylum (both coming soon). LOL! I love new challenges. 8-)
  • sherryg
    sherryg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone! I think I need to join the P90x nation and go from there! Thanks again!:glasses:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've done 3 rounds of P90X and then I followed it up with a round of Insanity. I like both programs, but for totally different reasons.

If you want a great all-around program, P90X would be the way to go. I also am a big believer in strength training for a variety of reasons. If you are trying to lose weight, strength training is going to increase your lean muscle mass and help boost your metabolism. Also, as a woman, you need strength training to help prevent bone density issues in later years.

I was already in pretty good shape when I started Insanity, but even after 3 rounds of P90X, it was very challenging. I did get into tremendous cardiovascular shape, however, I found that I was losing lean muscle mass in the process. While they do say that you get your strength training using body weight (there are push ups and such), it's no comparison to actually lifting weights.

I also found Insanity to be VERY hard on my knees. After my 60-day round, I was glad to be done and my knees were more glad. I won't ever do another full 60-day round of it...it's just too much wear and tear on my body, but I will throw a workout in here and there to humble myself. : )

I found that Turbo Fire was a much better cardio program for me...while it may not seem as 'extreme' as Insanity, it's still a great workout and I find that I actually burn more calories doing those cardio workouts than I did Insanity. Coupled with a strength program, it's a good combination.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bimmerchic74
    Options
    I am on my second week of Insanity. When I go to log my exercise workout in my fitness pal I have been using the Aerobics- High Impact to log the number of minutes done. Is there a better way to log this? Insanity is not listed in the drop down menu of choices. How can we get it in there?
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get on the Insanity Team
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am on my second week of Insanity. When I go to log my exercise workout in my fitness pal I have been using the Aerobics- High Impact to log the number of minutes done. Is there a better way to log this? Insanity is not listed in the drop down menu of choices. How can we get it in there?

I just use circuit training
  • stafjeremy
    Options
    I have done both and to be honest I prefer Insanity because it is what I call a "real challenge"! However I had to mix it with some body pump sessions in order to keep muscles mass lean and at a normal level (Insanity made me sweat like hell). It is not for beginner but if you re in good shape and have the time go for INSANITY + BODY PUMP. Don't forget that you're diet is 80% of your final result. Otherwise great result, great after workout feeling! Dig Deeper ;)
  • Margarette_d
    Margarette_d Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this website is reliable but this is what I've been using
    www.insanitycalories.com