Help me pick the healthiest restaurant meal options

Options
I have to travel to Seattle for work for a week next week and I have to have nearly all of my meals with coworkers. I think they will be bringing in our lunches (so I won't have options and it will be quite difficult), but I was just informed of two of the restaurants we will be having dinner at. I am a pescetarian - a vegetarian who occasionally eats seafood - and am allergic to mushrooms. These are my only dietary restrictions. I would love some help trying to figure out which options would be the healthiest (I'd like to come out of this with a first choice and a back up in case the first isn't available), so I can continue making good choices on my trip.

The first restaurant is Ivar's Salmon House. Here is the menu: http://www.ivars.com/locations/salmon-house/salmon-house-menus . I was thinking about ordering one of the starters as my meal, particularly the fresh sauteed mussels or seared ahi tuna. Many of the dishes seem to be butter laden or breaded :/

The other restaurant is Bucca di Beppo. Here's the menu: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/menu/dinner/ . I don't want to do pasta (but I guess I may not have a choice), and I was thinking perhaps the mussels marinara would be a healthy option (steamed seafood and a tomato sauce - can't be too bad, right?), but according to a google search there are 1690 calories in a serving (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-appetizers-antipasti-mussels-marinara_f-ZmlkPTIwMzUyMg.html )!

Help!

Also, I do not have the option to sit out any of the meals - these are mandatory.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would suggest calling the restaurant ahead of time to figure out what to order, especially since you have an allergy and a lot of vegetarian dishes include mushrooms.

Also since you have a food allergy and preference you can have a separate meal made for you. I know when my work is bring lunch in, they ask about any dietary needs or restrictions before hand. (I have found usually that the special made meals are better then what is being served to everyone else)

Sometimes I just want to say I am vegetarian and allergic to mushrooms so I get a better meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well the first one they say they are available simply grilled, so ask for whatever you like but without sauce... The sides being roasted is probably not too good though.

Second one, yeah... tough one. I'd get a small of whatever you like, it seems everything is going to be a calorie bomb.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I would go with the Salmon place. I've been to Bucca di Beppo and those are family sized portions. So even if it's a healthy option, plan to share or have lots of leftovers. That wouldn't be such a bad thing if your hotel has a microwave though. Anyways, they both sound great! But I'd personally choose the salmon place if you're looking for healthier options.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You're lucky! What a great place to take advantage of fresh seafood prepared by people who know how. Anything not fried is going to be great.

Bucco di Beppo will be hard, but the mussels marinara is probably not too bad. Just watch how much bread you sop it up with :)
  • FreedomSand
    FreedomSand Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ivar's menu look so good I am drooling, lol. The mixed greens salad, the Ceasar salad (hold the cheese) with the anchovy - garlic dressing OMGOSH YUM. They also have a papaya - ginger vinaigrette (listed on the Taste of the Northwest dinner) you could ask for that!

If you eat beets (I love them) the Roasted Beets and Humboldt Fog salad means they have beets in stock. And they havea a Tuscan white bean salad ( may want to learn what is in that). They offer sauteed spinach, and the Alder grilled Alaska black cod has lots of options!

I find, if you spend some time with the menu so you find what they have in-house, then you just order what YOU want, picking something from this dish and something from that. You are using things they have available, so the kitchen is happy. Let the manager figure out what to charge ha haa.

At Buca, get the antipasto, with no pepperoni. Not sure if you eat cheese or not. Also the side dish, green beans in olive oil will be excellent. The apple gorgonzola salad will also work for you (hold the cheese if need be). Also, ask what is the soup of the day, that may work for you depending what it is.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Remember that you can always ask that your meal be prepared in a specific manner that lightens the calorie load. For example, steamed vs. fried, etc. Subbing veggies for a side is always an option as well. For italian places, you can also see if they have spaghetti squash to sub for the regular pasta (which is where a ton of the cals come from). Good luck, you can do this!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've been using an app called Healthy Out. You enter your dietary guidelines and it pulls up all the restaurants near you with items fitting your requirements. You can then browse each restaurant and select specific items to see the breakdown of cals, carbs, protein etc. Most chain restaurants are included although smaller places won't be.
  • Palak1020
    Palak1020 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would suggest calling the restaurant ahead of time to figure out what to order, especially since you have an allergy and a lot of vegetarian dishes include mushrooms.

Also since you have a food allergy and preference you can have a separate meal made for you. I know when my work is bring lunch in, they ask about any dietary needs or restrictions before hand. (I have found usually that the special made meals are better then what is being served to everyone else)

Sometimes I just want to say I am vegetarian and allergic to mushrooms so I get a better meal.

I will definitely call ahead and see if they can help me out with calorie counts and perhaps other (off-menu) options.

I have to say, I've never had a decent special made meal when I tell them about my dietary restrictions. Last time - about two weeks ago - I ended up with a lettuce and cheese sandwich. I couldn't believe it. Especially when the place they order from HAS vegetarian options without mushrooms...
  • Palak1020
    Options
    Ivar's menu look so good I am drooling, lol. The mixed greens salad, the Ceasar salad (hold the cheese) with the anchovy - garlic dressing OMGOSH YUM. They also have a papaya - ginger vinaigrette (listed on the Taste of the Northwest dinner) you could ask for that!

If you eat beets (I love them) the Roasted Beets and Humboldt Fog salad means they have beets in stock. And they havea a Tuscan white bean salad ( may want to learn what is in that). They offer sauteed spinach, and the Alder grilled Alaska black cod has lots of options!

I find, if you spend some time with the menu so you find what they have in-house, then you just order what YOU want, picking something from this dish and something from that. You are using things they have available, so the kitchen is happy. Let the manager figure out what to charge ha haa.

At Buca, get the antipasto, with no pepperoni. Not sure if you eat cheese or not. Also the side dish, green beans in olive oil will be excellent. The apple gorgonzola salad will also work for you (hold the cheese if need be). Also, ask what is the soup of the day, that may work for you depending what it is.

I didn't even think about the soup! Maybe they'll have something like minestrone and I can have that with a salad. My main concern is that lunch will likely be carb heavy, so I need to keep it as light as possible for dinner. I usually like to have a lighter lunch (read: salads every day) and a really yummy more calorie dense dinner. Looks like my tastebuds and tummy will not be happy on this trip. And spending 12+ hours a day with my coworkers won't make things better, haha!
  • Palak1020
    Options
    Remember that you can always ask that your meal be prepared in a specific manner that lightens the calorie load. For example, steamed vs. fried, etc. Subbing veggies for a side is always an option as well. For italian places, you can also see if they have spaghetti squash to sub for the regular pasta (which is where a ton of the cals come from). Good luck, you can do this!

Oooh, good idea! I hope they have spaghetti squash - then I will definitely have a healthy option. So smart!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would personally select a plain grilled fish or meat with steamed veggies and then eat half. I have found that most of the time when I box up half of a restaurant meal and spread the other half out on my plate, it turns out to be about the same amount of food I would be eating at home. Hopefully, your hotel has a mini-fridge and microwave.
  • aprilmchone
    aprilmchone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recently had lunch at Bucca and they have lunch portions now :-).
    As for other suggestions anytime your eating from a restaurant....Ask for any dressings or sauces on the side and that gives you more control over your calories. While you can't opt out of the meal, you can take some healthier choices (apple, grapes, raisins, etc) in your bag....eat 1/2 a salad from the restaurant plus what you brought to add to it. The problem with anything "fresh" from most places is that it's covered in preservatives.
    Plan ahead for a calorie heavy meal...get a workout in that morning at the hotel gym or even if its just running in place in your room to get some calories burned.
    Ask for anything you can to be grilled or steamed.
  • Palak1020
    Options
    Recently had lunch at Bucca and they have lunch portions now :-).
    As for other suggestions anytime your eating from a restaurant....Ask for any dressings or sauces on the side and that gives you more control over your calories. While you can't opt out of the meal, you can take some healthier choices (apple, grapes, raisins, etc) in your bag....eat 1/2 a salad from the restaurant plus what you brought to add to it. The problem with anything "fresh" from most places is that it's covered in preservatives.
    Plan ahead for a calorie heavy meal...get a workout in that morning at the hotel gym or even if its just running in place in your room to get some calories burned.
    Ask for anything you can to be grilled or steamed.

Thanks! Fortunately, the hotel I'm staying has an amazing gym and I will be able to go to Zumba or cycling every day I'm there.

As for your suggestion to bring healthy additions - is that weird or frowned upon? Or should I just eat half a salad and then eat my healthy option when I get home?
  • Palak1020
    Options
    Also, I checked google maps and found tout that there is a Whole Foods three blocks from the office. I was thinking about going there in the morning and picking up some prepared oatmeal for breakfast and a prepared salad for lunch every day and avoiding whatever they have catered. I also found some lunch places with healthy looking salad options, so I will try to convince the boss to order from one of those places one day. The only problem is that my team is composed of 6 guys and only one other girl and salads never seem to fill the guys up...
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure in WA state its required to post calories on the menus or at least have it available. So if its not on the website ask for it when you get there. Maybe sneak to the "bathroom" and go find your server so everyone doesn't have to know.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    For the Italian place I would start with a garden salad, vinegar only for dressing and I'd go with the Salmon Sorrento, no sauce. I would also ask for a double veggie (looks like they have green beans) or whatever their veggie of the day is, vs. a veggie and a starch if that's an option. I would also ask for a to go box when the food arrives and I'd split the portion on the spot. It's likely they give you way too much even with the lighter fare.

For the salmon place I would go for either the mixed greed salad and add blackened salmon, again vinegar only. Another choice for me would be the wood grilled halibut (yum), with the dressing on the side and a double order of spinach instead of the rice and the spinach. My last choice would be the cedar planked wild sockeye, hold the pudding. Again, double the veggie, skip the starch and ask for a to box when your entree arrives.

I love salmon and all seafood so....

Last, I would save up the calories on the entrees and my last night there I would indulge in the double dark chocolate cake at the Italian place hahaha :smile:

For the catered lunch stuff I have been in many situations like that... everyone loves the panini sandwiches and I hate them, grilled over the top buttery bread loaded with disgusting meats and way too much cheese and on top of that they have to add mayo and chips? really? bogus! Either I bring my own e.g., green salad with all the veggies and some tuna, tofu or fat free feta cheese to top it off. Sometimes with a piece of Josephs lavash to be more substantial.

If there is no other choice I would just try to pick apart one of the sandwiches and remove the stuff I don't like or won't eat. A lot of times a catered lunch includes a salad at least.

Hope this helped.