Weight Watchers or Counting Calories?

Options
Okay so i have done weight watchers after i had my first son, and lost 30 lbs... then got preggers again... Im wondering should i try doing weight watchers again, by myself or should i just count my calories?

Lately ive been trying to do both but im confused on what i think would be better!?

Replies

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Both work, you just have to decide which suits you and your lifestyle best. I prefer cal counting, but only because MFP makes it so easy, and it means I don't have to carry my points book around and keep looking everything up all the time.
    Good luck with what ever you choose!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If weight watchers worked for you then give it another go but ultimately its a case of calories in v calories burned. WW has recently changed its system so be careful if using the old system when looking up values on the net as the poster could be working on the new system
  • debbieemmett
    Options
    i track all my food on mfp, even weight watcher food...its helped me shift a stone in two months...good luck on your journey..
    you can do it...
  • suzukigrl
    Options
    Okay so i have done weight watchers after i had my first son, and lost 30 lbs... then got preggers again... Im wondering should i try doing weight watchers again, by myself or should i just count my calories?

Lately ive been trying to do both but im confused on what i think would be better!? i've done both and both work. the only thing about ww is, i'm through most of my points by noon. lol. so, it is a little more restrictive at least in my head. you can do both though, i was keeping track of my points on here in my notes at the bottom of the page. weight watchers is faster in my opinion because of the very low fat intake but i'm a little less restricted on calorie count. i know, you're strattling the fence and i'm not helping. lol.
  • bucky17h
    bucky17h Posts: 120
    Options
    My vote is do MFP!!!! I have done WW on and off for 10 years - even go to lifetime. I was never able to maintain on WW program (even tried Jenny Craig at one point). I find the Website and the support on the site to FAR EXCEED any support you get at WW plus if you have an Android phone MFP has an app, WW does not. Plus MFP is free. I find the news feed with friends to be far more inspirational and supportive than any meeting I ever attended.
  • katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... i think im gonna stick to MFP... liek you guys have pointed out, its free... there is an app... i dont have to carry around my booklet and look up points... All things i knew... but i just needed to hear from other!

Thanks!!!! :)
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    IVe done ww several times...they both work...when you thiink about it..>WW is counting calories. Ive calculated my points and calories before...really your daily point allowance is your caloric goal ..activity points are the extra cals u get when you workout...its all the same so if you want to save some $$ do MFP ...its awesome
  • jenseninc
    Options
    My daughter did Weight Watchers for 7 months and lost 50 lbs and did My Fitness Pal for the last 7 months and lost 60 lbs. The weight seemed to come off the same but she feels that MFP allows her to monitor all of the categories of nutrition better allowing her eat smarter. She also likes the ability to log exercise and see how many calories she was burning at the gym. I personally have never used Weight Watchers but in using MFP for the last 3.5 months have lost 43 pounds. Being able to use the app on my phone keeps me on the straight and narrow throughout the day and has made it to where it is a habit now. I also like the idea that when I reach my goal in another 15 lbs I will continue to use MFP to maintain the weight. It didn't take me long to realize that calories are like money and can get away from you quickly if not tracked. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I think this, MFP, works easier and faster.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I like MPF, this and exercise and I've only been here since the beginning of October and I've firmed up and lost weight. Plus it is free &no meetings or anything like that.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers and i did lose some weight but i wasn't really understanding what the points amounted to and why. With MFP I completely understand counting calories (calories per serving is on everything you eat not weight watcher points) and it's much easier and might i add ITS FREE.

And I think it's easier to communicate with people on MFP! Just my opinion.
  • rjlam
    rjlam Posts: 149
    Options
    As a lifetime member of WW, I've tried both and personnally I prefer is way. I've since gained back the weight I last 20years ago but I'm back on track and know I can do this with the support I get from this site. If find calorie count is better instread of points. What I suggest is the one week do both at the same time and see what you get. Hope this helps.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I did WW and found I used the points to eat the WORST food, and so high in sodium. MFP forces you to see the TYPE of food, more than a point value. This works much better for me.
  • julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    . It didn't take me long to realize that calories are like money and can get away from you quickly if not tracked.

Great analogy!
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW, but essentially, isn't it still counting calories, in a way? MFP uses the actual caloric numbers, while WW assigns a certain number of calories a "point"? Do whichever works for you! The fact that you're ready to make a commitment to a healthier lifestyle is all that's really important. Good luck! :)