Are the calories burned accurate?

Options
When I enter my exersize for the day the amounts burned seem high? Does anyone else notice this or do you think the numbers are fairly accurate?

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    No, I dont think they are and a friend of mine who was a pro body builder and is now a sports and fitness coach says theyre way off...with some of them stating more than double what he would estimate them to be
  • athenafl
    athenafl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Compared to my HRM, the MFP readings are 30 - 70% higher. For example, I did a bike ride this morning at a low heart rate (recovery intensity) and my HRM says 726 calories. MFP, before I adjusted it, put the same length/speed of ride at 1296 calories. If I went by MFP and added my exercise calories to my daily eating, I'd be gaining weight. YMMV.
  • lat1tude
    lat1tude Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has been said the figures are way to high. I wear a HRM when doing my cardio and use these figures.
  • iwantmyskinnyjeans
    Options
    I've noticed this too....I don't have a HRM but I use the amount listed on the cardio machine vice that in MFP. I know that might be high as well but is hopefully closer to being accurate.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You can't trust the calories burned in the database. The best thing I ever did was buy a HRM.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    not accurate. MFP says walking @ 3.5 mph for 1hr. I should burn about 800ish calories. my HRM says 1200 calories.
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    Options
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

I use this many times. The calories burned on my home machines tends to be close to this too. Check it out
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I find the machines at the gym to be fairly accurate for me, and they are lower than MFP guesses.
  • getinmabelly
    getinmabelly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I asked this question a few months ago as well as I was noticing quite a variation. If whatever you're exercising on gives you a calorie read out, maybe work out the average between what that says and what MFP says. At least that's what I do with my cross trainer :-) Might not be so easy if you're out jogging though...
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    If whatever you're exercising on gives you a calorie read out, maybe work out the average between what that says and what MFP says. At least that's what I do with my cross trainer :-) Might not be so easy if you're out jogging though...

Good advice here. My HRM burn is almost always HIGHER than the MFP number...so it definitely varies person to person. If you don't have a HRM, averaging is probably a good bet. For jogging/running, a general rule is about 100 calories per mile as a starting point. Less if you do a walk/run.
  • rokikio
    Options
    Great tips on here. Thanks for sharing. I have a question though about the HRM. I have a watch that does my HRM through a chest strap that I wear during work outs however it doesn't tell you calories burned, etc. Is there a math formula you can use on your own to possibly figure that type of information out?

I am thinking this watch may have been a waste of money if I can't figure out how it can benefit me in the end. Any suggetions or resources would be greatly appreciated.