I miss beer!

Options
I never had any idea how caloric alcohol is until I started tracking it here. I often go out drinking with my buddies and it's not unusual to have 8-10 beers each time. But now when I'm at the bar, all I think about is having to log in my calories when I get home. So now I find myself ordering the strongest drink I could get and served straight, not chilled, so that it'll take me all night to drink sip by sip.

What alcohol-related changes have you made since you started tracking calories?

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I drink less. Usually.

If I go out for a drink with friends, then I'll have a pint of water every other round.

As for changing what I drink, not so much, no.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love a good import beer and once in a while I indulge. Mostly I stick to wine with a dirty martini now and again. I don't go out to bars much but do enjoy a drink with my dinner. Just got to take them calories into account.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I miss wine!!! Can't wait until Friday, I've had a dry January. I can't say I've lost any weight from not drinking as I've eaten the calories instead. However, I've discovered lovely sparkling flavoured water at Lidl.
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy my Jack Daniel's every now and then. Of course it's on the rock and not mixed in coke or anything now.

Check this out if you like http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    <
    rarely misses a beer...or three.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I used to have a beer almost every night with dinner or afterwards and go out to the bars and over-indulge 1-2 times a week too. I have cut back a lot, but I still enjoy a good beer.

Now, I try not to drink at all during the week and I try not to drink more than 3 if I'm going out. It's a lot cheaper! I was craving a good German wheat beer for a while though so I just picked up a case this weekend. I'll drink it slow and it'll probably last me nearly 2 months to go through it.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

IPAs are the one item I've cut out that I really did enjoy, but I still enjoy a glass of bourbon or the occasional glass of cab with dinner.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Honestly no changes...

I drink my beer, my coolers, my wine and my hardstuff...it's always the food after that gets me...hehe:drinker:

But as others have said my vodka is mixed with club soda...my choice of beer is light beer....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    My drink of choice is a Rioja and a diet coke (bottle-not tap...with lots of lemon) on the side. Can make that last a good couple of hours. It's the speedball in my life.
  • lesnicba
    Options
    I guess I would be called a social binge drinker. I go out for pool league on Thursdays (3 or 4 whiskey & 7's), fun and frolicking on Fri or Sat nights (another 5 - 6 whiskey and 7's) and often on Sunday afternoon (1 Bloody Mary).

So now I have not not had any booze for the last 3 weeks, due to the calories. Im not having any problems, but I did drink because I enjoy it (I really dont want any sermons on my drinking) I worry that once I do get to my appropriate weight, if I start drinking again the weight will come right back.

Is there a way to drink AND keep on track?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I just drink less and make sure it fits into my day. I really enjoy the taste of a good beer, so that's what I get.

That said, at my age, I don't generally go drinking, it's more like "go to dinner and have a beer or two," which probably makes it easier. I used to get to a restaurant and order a beer or wine while I decided what to eat. Now I get water or unsweetened iced tea while I choose my food, then order the drink to come with the meal (which also makes me consume it slower).

There are some nights when I go to functions where there is a lot of opportunities to drink (weddings, etc.). In those cases, I work some extra calories into my week (either extra exercise or slight deficit for a few days) so I can indulge.

ETA:
    Is there a way to drink AND keep on track?

Track your food/drink and make sure it fits into your calories...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I drink once a month now as opposed to once a week as before. Beer is great there is an obvious trend for beer that has contributed towards obesity rates in the UK.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go all 2014 sober. While I've cut back immensely over the last 5 years and rarely overindulge I'm feeling like a total detox from alcohol for a year might really benefit my physical and mental health. So far I think it's working. Good luck on cutting back!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I love the dark thick beers. Guinness is actually surprisingly low in calories compared to other beers. Since it is so rich and thick tasting, I tend to sip it slowly and one or two will last the evening.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband still has his 8-10 beers on the weekend, but he saves calories just for that. He doesn't want to give it up and it fits into his caloric goal. He rarely eats all his calories in a day, just because he's not hungry, and doesn't eat supper on Friday nights if we are going out.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You drive home after 8-10 beers?
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You drive home after 8-10 beers?

Walk home, live close to the bar
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I drink high quality, craft beers. They are higher in calories, but I don't every drink tons of them (my wallet would give up on my long before that). Or, if I want something I'll really drink slowly, I'll switch to single malt whisky.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink less. Usually.

If I go out for a drink with friends, then I'll have a pint of water every other round.

As for changing what I drink, not so much, no.

^^This for me, I have also tried to get out of the habit of ordering alcohol with dinner. Alcohol is for out with friends
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    limit yourself to once per week - and make sure you rehydrate the next day

or just practice moderation

I am old I don't drink much anymore lol