frozen edamame

Options
I bought a bag of frozen edamame still in the pods. I am not quite sure what to do with it or how to eat it. Do you eat the pods? Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Replies

• starz7elvin
    starz7elvin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You eat the edamame out of the pod. Don't ever eat the pod. They are so so good. I eat these all the time. I put some sea salt on them and then as you eat the edamame out of the pod you get the salt too.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love these, I buy them frozen and already out of the pod so it is easy to add them to anything but if I buy fresh ones in the pod I just pop them out, don't eat the pods! :D
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There should be directions on the back. The ones I have you put half the bag in a microwave safe bowl, add 2 TBP water and salt to taste, cover with plastic wrap and poke holes in it, cook for 4ish minutes, let cool for a bit, transfer to serving bowl and eat the peas, not the pods.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Either steam or microwave the pods then put the whole thing in your mouth but the very end, bite down until you feel the pod between your teeth and pull, this will pop the beans out into your mouth. Discard the pod.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    You can microwave them for a few seconds to thaw them enough to open the pods. I never add any salt or anything to them, as they are great just like they are- as a snack, or throw them into stir fry or other veggie dishes.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yum yum yum!!! Love those things. It's like the cheapest appetizer in some restaurants too - and they take forever to eat, which is good! I got a $10 stovetop bamboo steamer that sits on top of the boiling water pot and I steam those suckers until they turn that beautiful bright green. Add a little sea salt ( and sometimes some butter when I'm feeling indulgent and messy)... then chow down!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Either steam or microwave the pods then put the whole thing in your mouth but the very end, bite down until you feel the pod between your teeth and pull, this will pop the beans out into your mouth. Discard the pod.

This ^^ the pods are not edible.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of the following each sunday and eat a cup on my salad at lunch the rest of the week:

1/2 c. dry quinoa (cook, with vegetable boullion cube)
    1 c. frozen edamame - steam a few minutes
    1 c. chopped carrot - steamed or boiled

Quinoa should fluff up to about 1.5 cups, so mix it all together and season as needed. Delicious and high protein!
  • tinglesby
    tinglesby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    they're AWESOME with some Old Bay or cajun seasoning on them! eat them right out of the pod...finger-lickin GOOD!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    In Japanese restaurants, the pods are steamed, the salted with course salt. You put the end of the pod in your mouth and bite gently to pop the edamame see out the end, then discard the pod. They're an appetizer usually shared by everyone at the table.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You just squeeze the pod and eat the seeds inside, DO NOT eat the pods.
    The bag I bought is microwavable and you don't have to remove from the bag. I don't add salt because it is not needed they are great just the way they are.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the goodness usually pops out the sides, not the end. EIther way, you can use your teeth to guide them towards your mouth, instead of across the room.
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i love love love edamame!!!
    i went to the cayman islands a few months ago and they had a szechuan edamame appetizer that i've been trying to recreate ever since!
    i found this recipe and it's pretty close: http://wildmacaroni.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/szechuan-edamame/

enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! While the bag does have seaming instructions it does not say anything about the pods. I am glad I asked. I am going to try these tonight. Maybe even get lucky and the kids will like them.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! While the bag does have seaming instructions it does not say anything about the pods. I am glad I asked. I am going to try these tonight. Maybe even get lucky and the kids will like them.

Do your kids like soy sauce? Dip the pod in soy sauce, stick it in your mouth and suck/squeeze out the beans.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Where is edamame usually located at the grocery store? Produce or frozen vegetables?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Where is edamame usually located at the grocery store? Produce or frozen vegetables?

Frozen veggies. One store here has them in the organic/vegan frozen aisle. Another has them in the regular frozen foods aisle. They're about $2.50 for a 14 oz bag. I buy the shelled edamame and put the bag in the fridge to snack on them cold.
  • Bellusion
    Options
    They taste good in oatmeal