Firm luncheon question

Options
We are having a firm lunch tomorrow from a place called Flying Avocado, I can not find any nutritional information for this place and nothing is listed in the food information for this place or the sandwich I ordered. SUGGESTIONS.... do I simply tell them to cancel my order and eat from home while everyone else orders for free? Do I try to list everything and see what I get? Sandwich is Blackened Chicken and Brie - Free-range blackened chicken breast, brie, honey, granny smith apple & organic field greens on natural ciabatta. Got a side of Hummus with veggies and Grilled Pita.

Replies

• MichelleRenee_76
    MichelleRenee_76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just attempt to do your best with logging what you have eaten. Last night I had to guess too as I had a date that took me to a restaurant that did not have nutritional information available on site or in store. So I logged using similar items from other restaurants. And I made the rest of my day VERY light in calories to try to compensate if my calculations were off.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I would just try my best with logging. I, personally, would try to enter each aspect of what I ordered separately. If I ordered a turkey wrap and I know what comes on it, I'd enter the wrap/tortilla, the turkey, the mayo or mustard or whatever, all separate and just select the option that sounds the closest. If there are options that are lower in calorie and others higher, I tend to go for something middle of the road.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Do your best logging similar or by ingredient. It sounds yummy.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Make it fit!

Get the basis for what is included and track the best you can!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Do not cancel your order. Log each ingredient and try to get a decent calorie count guess. You also have an option of eating half the sandwich and taking the rest home for another meal.
  • ddarpel
    ddarpel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have to eat out or order in a lot for my job here are some things I have done:

Let the person ordeing know that I eat low-cal. They can pass that on and maybe get you a recommendation.

I have also eatten ahead of time and then simply turned the meal down. I do this ALMOST every time they bring pizza in.

Trade out of the boxed lunch - I'm very popular when I give away that cookie! I'll just log what I can and assume I ate a few uncounted calories. Not the best, but not the end of the world.

I have also called ahead to where we are eating, talked to the chef and had a special meal made! It takes some time, but they are usually very helpful. An oriental place makes me a special stir-fry using less oil. At a high-end Mexican place they actually made my call-ahead dish the special for day - low-cal chicken taco salad. He calculated the calories and printed it on the specials menu. Can't say that has ever happened again, but hey, you never know.

Hope this helps!
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Food is a very much a social activity. Part of your journey will be learning how to eat out and be sociable at events centered around food.

When eating out, I will use a similar item from a chain restuarant. For example, my husband and I went out for pizza with my father in-law last Sunday. We went to a local place that we all like so the information is not available. I just logged a similar pizza from Papa John's and made not of it in the notes section of my diary.

For items that are hard to find, I tend to guess calories based on ingredients. This is probably your best bet for this occasion. You can log each ingredient individually. I would also use the quick add feature to put in an additional calorie margin because restuarants are great at sneaking in more calories.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Food is a very much a social activity. Part of your journey will be learning how to eat out and be sociable at events centered around food.

When eating out, I will use a similar item from a chain restuarant. For example, my husband and I went out for pizza with my father in-law last Sunday. We went to a local place that we all like so the information is not available. I just logged a similar pizza from Papa John's and made not of it in the notes section of my diary.

For items that are hard to find, I tend to guess calories based on ingredients. This is probably your best bet for this occasion. You can log each ingredient individually. I would also use the quick add feature to put in an additional calorie margin because restuarants are great at sneaking in more calories.

This is what I do -- I either use a similar item from a chain that has nutritional information available and that I know has similar ingredients, or I do my best to log individual ingredients. Using a food scale and getting better at eyeballing portion sizes at home is a huge help here -- remember that portion sizes at restaurants are often larger than your average "serving size"
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian restaurants are pretty good about offering healthy choices. Enjoy your free meal.