runners or past runners - need some advice

Options
June 2012 ran my first 5k race and was pleased with my finished time. After that I thought I could run increased distances and I tried and in November 2012 ran my first 10k. Then I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon for May 2013. 2 weeks prior to race I ran 11.5 miles and the next day my quad hurt so bad and the pain moved into my sciatic nerve - that thought was my sciatic nerve started it. Well for 2 weeks did a lot of stretching and seeing the chiropractor as I couldn't transfer my registration anymore. Finished the 1/2 marathon running 7 to 9 miles and finished walking and in sooo much pain. After that i started physical therapy and for 8 weeks did that and got it better and during that time i walked and biked and used upper body strength training (not too heavy as that affect my nerve). Got back into running and in Oct 2013 did a 10k + 5k challenge and my sciatic nerve on my other side flared up and my IT band on the first side was snapping. Back to Physical therapy and after about 5 sessions have gotten better. September last year I signed up for the 1/2 marathon again for this coming May 2014.

My question is when do you accept defeat and realize that running a 1/2 marathon is not for your body and that if keeping pushing it you are just back to so much pain and therapy? Should I consider backing off and focus on 10k's until I can run those without feeling the mild flare up I am experiencing while training. Just looking for others suggestions or experiences. Thank you!

Also should add I have had my gait analysis done by the Physical Therapist and all is good and had an analysis done with my shoes and I am in the right type for my gait.

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Back, It. Off.

I understand you have goals and ultimately want to run half marathons in great times. But, look at the price you're already paying. Why would you bump up the distance if you're in pain? It just doesn't make sense. You need to back it down to a couple miles at a time and then increase the distance SLOWLY. Add maybe half a mile to a full mile every week and see how you feel.

Additionally, you need to ensure you're taking care of your body. Are you warming up properly? Doing any dynamic warm ups? Cooling down? Stretching? Foam rolling? Using "the stick"? Ice? Motrin?
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Usually things like IT band problems are the symptom and not the problem. Are you working on strengthening your quads and glutes? That's what will keep those injuries away. I would say increase your mileage slowly, add in some cross training and some strength work and make sure you are keeping most of your runs at an easy pace and you should be fine. Also pay attention to your form and cadence, that can make a big difference too. And then what was already suggested, ice, foam roll and stretch.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    A family friend had similar issues, the IT band being the most recent. She ran five times a week and did lifting 2 days. After many conversations, we talked about the 'glute guy' (search glute guy) and core body work. She replaced two day runs with core and glute work, her IT issue, knee, and hip issues have all subsided. So, balance of work outs, core work(strong core easy running), and not pushing for a 'time' have reduced her injuries and provided for some joy in running. Best of luck.
  • NoVABill
    NoVABill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ran many years of 5 and 10Ks before moving up to 10 milers and half-marathons. Had run for at least two decades before doing a marathon. Even then, I was not always injury-free. The key IMHO is moderation and slow build over time - probably much slower than you think. Takes lot of patience.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like the advice above BACK OFF. you have to. The biggest thing you can do to improve your fitness is not to mess your body up so much you have to stop training. I am saying this though personal experience - I did a half when I shouldn't an knackered my Achilles tendon. it took me 2 years before I got back into it and now I go slow. I would recommend a brilliant book called the triathletes training bible by Joe Friel. Although it is triathlon specific most of it is transferable to other sports. He looks at training as a game of Risk management. The idea is to maximise fitness while minimising risk because that is the best (scientifically/mathematical) way of getting as fit as you can. There will be plenty more 1/3 marathons. If you have any doubt don't do it.

also look at peridoization in training, Again Joes book talks about this, it is a way of increasing fitness while minimising risk. HITT / Tabata's are also good if you do them correctly because although they are maximum effort, they are short duration so they do magic for your fitness levels without much risk.

Good luck mate, I know you will get there, its just our bodies will get there when they will not when we want them to.
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all responses so far and giving me ideas (books and things to research) and things to think about. A little more that might help too - I do bootcamp 2/3 times a week with a personal trainer - we do anything from battle ropes, squats, lunges, & weighted squats/lunges, burpees, sprints, crab crawls, planks, obliques crunches, mountain climbers, floor jacks, kettle bell, and the list goes on and on. We do a new routine every month. I don't run everyday - I also do elliptical, biking, intervals for cardio. Being in the cold ND in small town no access to pool except in summer. But this past summer couldn't do the water aerobics as it was too tough on my legs during healing. I tried it, but my physical therapist did advise against it.

That is why I am frustrated because I did so good with running up the point of breaking and I increased slowly. I tried keeping running outside in the snow and cold as well as the treadmill last winter and still doing the same. I increase slow, but I seem lately to be stuck at the 6 mile mark and there a bouts and can't get past it.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I agree with "back off" and hold to never giving up. This applies to every aspect of life where we have set goals for ourselves. Assuming these goals were realistic in the first place, and completing a 1/2 marathon is realistic for all but a few, we may have to drop back and regroup then continue on in pursuit of a goal.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    June 2012 ran my first 5k race and was pleased with my finished time. After that I thought I could run increased distances and I tried and in November 2012 ran my first 10k. Then I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon for May 2013. 2 weeks prior to race I ran 11.5 miles and the next day my quad hurt so bad and the pain moved into my sciatic nerve - that thought was my sciatic nerve started it. Well for 2 weeks did a lot of stretching and seeing the chiropractor as I couldn't transfer my registration anymore. Finished the 1/2 marathon running 7 to 9 miles and finished walking and in sooo much pain. After that i started physical therapy and for 8 weeks did that and got it better and during that time i walked and biked and used upper body strength training (not too heavy as that affect my nerve). Got back into running and in Oct 2013 did a 10k + 5k challenge and my sciatic nerve on my other side flared up and my IT band on the first side was snapping. Back to Physical therapy and after about 5 sessions have gotten better. September last year I signed up for the 1/2 marathon again for this coming May 2014.

My question is when do you accept defeat and realize that running a 1/2 marathon is not for your body and that if keeping pushing it you are just back to so much pain and therapy? Should I consider backing off and focus on 10k's until I can run those without feeling the mild flare up I am experiencing while training. Just looking for others suggestions or experiences. Thank you!

Also should add I have had my gait analysis done by the Physical Therapist and all is good and had an analysis done with my shoes and I am in the right type for my gait.

Have you considered switching to cycling instead? I use to run marathons and it takes a huge, huge toll on the body. Not just the marathon itself, but the training schedule to prepare for it.

Sounds like you are working with your physical therapist, but as I mentioned, low impact cycling also has events similar to a marathon that will not decimate your body as much as running will. Running is great when you're younger... ;-)
  • palomalou2
    palomalou2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You do not state your age, and in my case, it mattered a lot. In my twenties I often ran every day 4-5 miles and was fine unless I fell into a pothole or such. Now in my late 50s I try to run twice a week and use the elliptical on the other 4 days. Your body definitely can help you know what it needs if you listen to it.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You haven't said what your running base is - just what longer races/challenges you have tried.

How many times a week do you run shorter distances and what is your total mileage per week when you were trying to run the HM and/or the 5K+10K challenge?

I had a lot of success in 2012 building up from nothing to HM distance and had two very good experiences in HMs before the end of 2012.

In the first half of 2013, my weekly mileage dropped off a lot. I was only running 3 days a week, and relied on my long runs for WAY too much of my weekly mileage... sometimes more than 50%. In 4 races (2 10 milers and 2 more HMs) I had hip flexor pain and pain in the arch of the opposite foot en each of them.

When I went back and looked at my training logs, I realized that I was not running enough miles to support the long runs, let alone the races.

Running HM distance (or longer) takes a lot of dedication because you need to put the miles in.

If you are interested in running HMs, my recommendation is to plan on building up to at least 4 days a week of running (and preferably 5 days)... but keep most of the runs shorter. Try to keep the long run to no more than 33% of your weekly miles - and ideally 20 - 25%.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The symptoms have me wondering if your form is breaking down on longer runs leading to injuries.
  • KezJB
    KezJB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Agree with some of the comments above, sometimes you have to back off to get further. Making a niggling injury worse is only going to hold you back in the long run.

I really bad tendinitis in both my knees and had a few months doing very short runs, I then got some new trainers (from a proper running store) and have since done a couple of half marathons fine. I know with me I can't run every day, that sets my knees off and I can't have even a week off and go straight back to it -I will suffer after.

Take things slowly and don't push your body beyond its comfort zone too much!
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I will be 40 this year.....yikes! I have only been working out for 2 years where I can say I am dedicated and have seen my body change and gotten better physically. Before that - let's say walking, biking and mowing the lawn was a workout for me. I couldn't do 1/4 of what I do today and survive during work hours - back then it was working out after work and I crashed hard at night where now I do double time and make it through the day. Huge NSV right there.

As far how much I run a week - I have never kept my mileage per week but if I had to guess I say during the summer under 10 miles a week and winter even less. I hate treadmill running but do it to keep some condition and I got cleats so on decent days I am stuff like a snowman trying to run. So I could see where I lose some of my form, but I am only running a couple miles to keep my breathing of the cold and body use to the cold cuz as the snow melts in April and temps overnight are still cold I can get out and run.

I appreciate everyone's comments, suggestions, and concern. I have decided to back off and not do the 1/2 marathon in May but am doing the 10k and the night before doing a 5k. At least I know I can do this and be able to walk afterwards and enjoy my time. So instead of focusing the next few months on distance I am going to work on lowering my mileage time and start doing more intervals.

Mentally it is hard because I want to do this - just my body can't seem to catch up. I see so many people who have the opportunity and great bodies to run, but they are not mentally ready and hold themselves back. i don't want to do that, but I also don't want to injure myself so bad that I have to quit completely. So maybe over time as my body becomes more conditioned I can keep trying to increase that distance.