Struggling with the Daily Calorie Target

Options
So I'm looking for some good advice. I currently use MFP to assist in my journaling but mostly I try to write it out every day. I have found that this method works best for me. The problem I am having, and have been having for some time now, is sticking to the allotted calories for the day.

I am 24 and currently in my final semester of college. In the past its been hard for me not to turn to eating on campus (which is very high in fat and calories) so lately I try to pack a lunch every day, along with snacks. I also try to eat a filling breakfast with protein to help prevent me from needing an extra snack mid morning. All in all I do pretty good for the better part of the day but its the evenings, including dinner, that really does me in. Its also the weekends that kick my butt. Does anyone else struggle with their eating habits when there isn't a routine? How have you handled it? What have you done that you've found that works?

Replies

• florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I was on 1400/day, i had the same issue, moved it up 3 weeks later to 1500, same thing. Moved it up 3 week later to 1600, now I'm shooting under by 200-400 daily. Go figure.

Aside from that, I use fiber supplements to create bulk after my last meal. This absorbs water in your system and will expand considerably. Making you feel full.

Drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces of water is a standard, this TOTALLY changed my satiety.

These are personal tips that helped me.

Hope this helps you =)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If I understood correctly, the challenge is mostly healthy food to meet your cals being a challenge - not that you're still starving after eating your cals?

--Cooking in large batches & freezing/refrigerating portions
    --Keeping some frozen burritos in the freezer (I found some w/acceptable calories/macros)

These are the two things that have consistently saved my sanity over the years. It might take a chunk out of a weekend day or a weekday with light classes to do the cooking, but sooooo worth not having to think when you get home after a long day.

Cooking is also a useful time to either re-listen to a lecture you taped, or listen to something relevant to your studies - you don't have to be paying 100% attention for it to help. Every little bit counts!

Wishing you all the best success :flowerforyou:
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I can relate. This has definitely been a problem in the past.

Right now - knock on wood - I want to be fit more than I want any food, but I only recently re-joined. I'm sure there will be more difficult times ahead. I'll keep reminding myself what I want and why I want it

Hope this helps.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Things that work for me: more.water, a walk around the block before dinner, keeping grape tomatoes, cucumber, and blueberries around for late night munchies and getting enough sleep. Oh and 100 calories bags of microwave popcorn.

Good luck! I know it is tough.
  • annastasia_82
    annastasia_82 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I do all my cooking on the weekend and package up all my meals and snacks for the week, so I can plan ahead of time what my calories for the day will be. Also, if you know what part of the day you tend to feel tired or need more energy try to plan your meals/snacks that are higher in protein around those times. If I know I'm getting close to my calories, and I start thinking about it eating, I either drink water, go for a walk, or try to just grab carrots or celery. I have a hard time staying close to my calories when I'm home with my fiancé. I'm always tempted to eat what he's eating instead of what I know is right for me, so you aren't alone on this one.
  • fuzzyink72
    Options
    I've found planning out everything I'm going to eat that day helps. I take 10 minutes every morning (or sometimes the evening before) and work it out. I allow treats, occasional fast food and have been able to stick to under 1300 calories for all of January so far. I've never felt the need to eat back my exercise calories and try to keep snack sized food on hand (fruit, snack portions of nuts and popcorn in ziplock bags, carrot sticks).

If eating out, I try to look at the menu before hand and work out what I can eat and stay in my calorie budget.

Maybe try freezing portion size dinners to have with veggies or a salad to stay on track?
  • cevalid
    cevalid Posts: 59
    Options
    I also struggle with nights, so I try and leave myself room by keeping breakfast and lunch under 450 cals. I'm still learning how to get weekends under control, but have had moderate success with not buying pub food while out and avoiding the snack table at parties. If I do need dinner when I'm out I will get a steak or chicken without gravy and side salad/ veggies instead of chips or something similarly substantial.

Also, have made places 'no-food' zones. Like my desk, the couch, my bedroom. This means that I no longer associate studying/tv/reading/stress with food. Just green tea and water. Its boring but it works.

Not assuming you are undereating, but I noticed that when I was eating below my bmr and way too little for my activity level I was ravenous at night. I upped my cals and increased the volume of low calorie foods in my diet (went from 50grams of green beans and carrot to 100grams, chucked in an extra handful of spinach) and got it under control.
  • Thank you all for the great advice! I'm going to start working on my water intake, something I know that has been lacking, and having smart, healthy snacks ready to help me out in the evenings when I need a boost.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Always factor in a snack for just before bedtime so you don't finish your meal with the idea that OMGZ! I can't eat again until morning!!! Then, you can feel ultra virtuous by skipping the snack if you want to :-)
  • moira222
    moira222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just reading this and understand especially the chaos of weekends when you are completely off schedule. I've started keeping a few low fat protein bars in my glove box and in my "everything" bag. This way when I am caught up in my usual weekend chaos and suddenly realize that I am starving, I can have something on hand as opposed to grabbing something at a drive through or at a convenience store that is junky. Most campus dining areas (at least in my areas) have nutrition guidelines handy. Familiarize your self with the usual offerings so that if you find your self hanging out with friends, you at least have an idea of the better choices.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Weekends are tough, because for me they are always like a celebration! I try to workout more on Saturday to make up for anything I went over on Friday or will go over on Saturday. I try to have a couple low calorie days mid week for this reason too. Another thing I aim for is not to go over for two weeks and then have one weekend that I'm not so strick. Good luck to you! You will find something that works for you!
  • Sarahkov12
    Sarahkov12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came to the community! I'm snowed in for third day with my husband (the ever grazing snack monster) and my three year old son. Yesterday I thought it would be nice to bake cookies with my son (my mom always did that on snow days). So last night I ate cookies. And this morning I ate cookies. And all I can think about is cookies! I have been logging every day this month and exercising 4-6 days a week this month. I have lost some weight but I do struggle with my calorie allotment nearly every day and definitely on the weekends. I also clearly struggle when there are out of the ordinary treats in the house! It was good for me to see your post and be reminded that many of us struggle with the same things. Great advice everyone! I needed to see it. Now I'm gonna friend request all of you. Then I will fill my water bottle and head downstairs to workout!!! THANKS :)
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to stay in my calorie goal when I exercise and earn a few calories to eat back. If you are on campus you may have access to equipment for exercise. Also most campus cafeterias have some healthy options - if not, don't be shy about asking for something healthier. You pay for a meal plan and they should be offering healthy food. Good luck!