..for women only... (Men...No PEEKING)

Options
Ladies, I need some counseling ....

It's that time of the month and the day before "Erma"came, I went on a willing and crazy food frenzy. I ate cake, ive cream..... All the while telling myself NO!!!!!! It was like I lost complete control.

I am terribly upset for my lack of impulse control but this eating crazy occurs every month before before my menstrual ( there I said it) and I'm not sure how to gain control so this won't happen to ne again. I feel like I'm the only one this happens to. Like I willingly just overrode all my hard work for a monthly day of binge eating....

Any suggestions? Serious talk? Ideas?

Signed,
One a month Taz ( from the cartoon). :)

Replies

• iwillwalkinchanel
    Options
    I've never had a problem like this before, and the best thing i can suggest is, just before you reach that stage, clear everything bad out of the house, and if you will be tempted to go to the shop, lock your door, and get someone to look after the keys for you.

I know it sounds daft, but im being serious. Its the best thing I can think of:)

Good luck with achieving your goals,

Sophie x
  • Nowaypaddles
    Options
    That crazy food frenzy happens to the best of us! Don't let it get you down. Don't be so hard on yourself- you certainly AREN'T the only one this happens to. Just get back on track & keep going with the hard work! I always feel better during that time by sticking with my water intake & exercising. ; )
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    What are some things (non food) that relax and calm you that you enjoy doing? Try that. If meditation is your thing, do it. If you like a good movie, then curl up on the couch in your favorite jams & a heating pad and enjoy. If you are relaxed and happy, maybe you won't crave junk as much.
    Also it's hard to want food when your belly is full, so make sure you fill it with twice as much water than usual.
    TOM is a stressful time for our bodies, and they will lash out if we don't pamper them a little.
  • cehrenhaus
    Options
    Have you tried to change the things that you eat? maybe if you gorge on fruit you can still get your sweet fix but you will not pack as many calories. Or try super healthy recipes that would give you the calories but also a lot of nutrients. For example, all my muffin recipes have oatmeal, so I am adding a lot of fiber to my diet and I have a long term carb source that will keep me satisfied for much longer, so I don't have to eat again too soon.

Also, what about distracting yourself when that feeling comes over you? Instead of eating, maybe you could go get a manicure. That will get your head out of the food, you out of the house, and you will be treating yourself to something nice :)

Just some ideas, hope something helps!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I try to keep healthier versions of the things I KNOW I'm going to crave around me. For example... I know I'll want ice cream... so I stock up on skinny cow cones. I'll probably want pizza and fries... so I get lean cuisine and fries that you can bake. Sometimes Mcdonalds and Wendys still call me... and I can't resist. But those things usually help me for the most part :)

Hope this helps!
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    personally for me i think it habit forming. i use to be like that and even though i not going to dein that we do feel" crazy" around that time of the month i notice as time did progress i was able to bite that bullet. i eat more greens around that time of the month make sure i eat an extra 300 to 200 calories as well and this has work for me as a matter of fact i get no tell signs at all it just comes and goes...............but don't beat yourself up take the energy for that and take the time to make a plan for yourself next month visit the doctor to make sure blood ok and be game and armed for next month. (hugs) but don't beat yourself up again a waste of energy it make it that much harder to move forward.
  • jessimacar
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel... my body hates me about a week before, it's like a little flag warning me it's on it's way. I try to eat more, but healthier things. If I go over my calories, so be it. But I do it with veggies and fruit rather than chips and sweets (my faves). Then, if I feel like a piece of cake or something one day, I'll try to make sure everything else I eat keeps me close to my calorie limit. One or the other. Eat a lot or eat a little junk.

Have your cake, just don't eat it too. :P Moderation right?

Not that we all haven't heard that word before!! Lol.

Good Luck for the next week or so! :)
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    girlfriend, i can relate!! before "it" strikes, i crave any and all chocolates. i'd have to agree, clear everything out of your house that is tempting to you. i understand that you can't always be so strong when you are out of your protected little environment, but when faced with those temptations, i would stick to the "3 bite rule"- take 3 bites of it and your done. and tell yourself you know what it tastes like, so you don't need anymore. when you DO have bad days and all hell breaks loose, you can't beat yourself up . you've just got to accept it for what it is, and move on. the important thing is to not make it a few days in a row. if you go crazy one day, that's it. you get one free day! good luck!
  • lindastanley82
    lindastanley82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! Been there and definitely done that. I recently found Think Thin protein bars and snacks. Being a chocoholic, when I want my chocolate, I want it now! These protein bars have a high protein content and NO SUGAR. The bars come in several varieties of chocolate, fruit bars and several kinds of mixed nut bars and snacks. I also made a gradual switch from whole milk to skim milk (to go with my chocolate snacks and for a high calcium drink). You might consider Think Thin bars to help manage those snack attacks. Check out their website - thinkproducts.com

:smile:
  • lisa150
    Options
    I have the same type of problems and it I exercise, like and hour morning and night 1. It's help with the craziness and two the overeating is off set somewhat by the exercise. Hope that helps and don't worry I think we all do it
  • oracle730
    Options
    No, you are not the only one! I get those cravings at that time of the month. Buy some Chocolate Fat Free Frozen Yogurt (I like Mayfield) or some of those Skinny Cow "Truffle" ice cream pops (those are AWESOME and I can't tell that they are not "real" ice cream). Then you can have some of something that is chocolatey without the guilt (just alot for it in your daily calories). If you want cake, you can buy those weight watchers snack cakes and just have one with your ice cream...it isn't as bad as a huge chunk of cake and you won't feel like you have blown it all in one sitting. I know it sounds crazy, but I have gotten addicted to caramel corn rice cakes and Kroger hazelnut spread (like Nutella, but about 40 calories less per serving). That is sooo sweet that by the time I eat two of the cakes with a tablespoon of spread on top, I can't think of something sweet for a while. Again, it is less fat than a piece of cake smothered in ice cream...but I still get my chocolate fix. That's my trick, but I am sure others have their's...
  • blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i agree with clearing out those foods from the house... or finding some healthier options. i have a serious sweet tooth and so i've found some organic granola bars that have SOME dark chocolate and coconut in it. i also have a granola bar that has salty pumpkin seeds (but not too salty) from natures path. it's a much better option than stuffing my face that time of the month and they really do taste great. :D also, guzzle as much water as possible so you feel fuller. :D

Keep up the hard work, things will get better!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    it took me a while to realize that that bored munching crave for whatever was a TOM thing (irregular so I did not make the connection for a while), but once I identified it I could control it. It's like when you realize you eat when you are sad or bored. Giving in because it's biological or something you "can't control" is a weak excuse. If you think that way, you will do that way. If you think, oh, this is just what it is, I can control this - then you will. I usually allow myself a little something (like maybe a funpack M&M or maybe even a SMALL or $1 french fry) but found that something moderate like granola with blueberries hits the spot just as much as 1/2 a cake.

PS, there is also the matter of water as bloating etc - try drinking water to help. For me, unidentifiable cravings, even at TOM are usually for water.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    hahah laughing at your cute subject line which guys will see and jump in even faster:tongue: then they'll leave just as fast!:tongue:

It helps to keep in mind our estrogen level drops during that time as well as our Serotonin
    levels. All the junk food get the Serotonin level up temporally but then drops back down and then we continue the cycle with the junk comfort food.

Nothing wrong with pre-planning a treat when you know you might be going bonkers (but don't wait until you're already there)...say some dark chocolate and plan on eating a square or two each day during the rough times (my hormone hell time is ovulation AND just before my period..so I get the double whammy...so figure that out and I get about 1 decent week a month...so NOT Fair!:sad: :grumble: :laugh: ). If salt is your thing during your period then pkg. up some healthier crackers (Kashi comes to mind) and allow yourself a treat of those as well.

Everyone reacts so differently but for the most part the women I've seen respond to posts like yours can TOTALLY relate to the chocolate/salt crazies during PMS time. You're definitely not alone, it's the difference of pre-planning vs. being caught like a deer in the headlights and simply grabbing junk and not even being aware until later how much you ate.

I don't know...hopefully something here helped you feel not quite so alone... there's actual chemical reasons our bodies crave certain things during that time so it's not like you're lacking will power, it simply a time I've found I have to be extra careful in planning.:flowerforyou:

*Serotonin =a neurotransmitter, derived from tryptophan, that is involved in sleep, depression, memory, and other neurological processes.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    For me, it's bread...I crave bread, lightly buttered and toasted. Sometimes I don't want to eat anything else, ll. So, I know what you mean. Stay strong, motivated and encouraged. We can all triumph over this, even though that little voice keeps saying, "it's ok, it's that time of the month."
  • NoraBarnes
    Options
    I have definitely had this problem for myself before. I deprive myself of all sweets and snacks and shortly after, snap and devour anything in sight(ice cream,cookies, cake) I have learned through dieting that when you have a craving something like ice cream or birthday cake for example you should eat however you should eat in moderation. If you are craving comfort food eat it but make sure to balance it out with an appropriate amount of exercise and healthy foods. Never deprive yourself of something you want because you will build up an even bigger craving for it and when you finally break down you will over eat. Also, when dieting you need to start off slow. For example if you usually eat a sandwich, strawberries, cookies and chips for lunch don't automatically cut the chips and cookies out and switch to whole grain bread. Start off slowly by switching to a healthier bread and then go step by step over a few weeks so that eventually you are eating a meal with your desired calorie count. Also when you have a certain craving plan to modify it so that it will be better for you. For example eat one candy bar or switch from ice cream to pudding. This is a much healthier alternative. I got a little off topic but i hope this can help!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    girlfriend, i can relate!! before "it" strikes, i crave any and all chocolates. i'd have to agree, clear everything out of your house that is tempting to you. i understand that you can't always be so strong when you are out of your protected little environment, but when faced with those temptations, i would stick to the "3 bite rule"- take 3 bites of it and your done. and tell yourself you know what it tastes like, so you don't need anymore. when you DO have bad days and all hell breaks loose, you can't beat yourself up . you've just got to accept it for what it is, and move on. the important thing is to not make it a few days in a row. if you go crazy one day, that's it. you get one free day! good luck!
    I like this idea! :flowerforyou:
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Girl it happens to the best of us. At least I know it has happened to me. Just move on for the rest of the month. Don't get discouraged. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. Slow and steady wind the race and all the other sayings. If you deprive yourself all the time then you will never make it. You will be fine. Just get back on that horse and eat right from now on.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I generally have either a sweet or salty craving. Most of the time it's salty, which isn't good for bloat. Sweet usually is fatty. In any case, I don't buy anything that could potentially result in my cheating.... especially favorites. I figure if they're not in the house, I can't eat them. I look for healthy alternatives and stock up on them instead.

Shannon
  • _Sarah_
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I just started on MFP and I know that my monthly will be just one of the many bumps on this journey. I usually crave dark chocolate, ice cream and french fries. I will be on the search for healthier alternatives and let you know if I find a healthy way to get sate my cravings.