polycystic ovaries - Sugar's and fruit crisis :/

Options
hello,
due to having polycystic ovaries i have been told to watch my sugar and carb levels - as it gets turned into fat...
i love fruit like apples and pineapple but they are full of sugar.
should i avoid all sugar like this or just mainly avoid sugar from sweets and biscuits :S
sorry its probably a stupid question - i just wondered what you thought.

MFP says i should have 24g of sugar but i have gone over today due to fruit, what would you recommend to do?
thank you x

Replies

• McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding the sugars in fruit as well... your body takes longer to break them down anyway.
  • fairy06
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding the sugars in fruit as well... your body takes longer to break them down anyway.

ooo thank you! x
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I think this would be a question for the doctor who told you to limit your carbs and sugars. He may have meant refined sugars, or all sugars. Also, does your doctor know your vegetarian lifestyle? There's carbs and natural sugars in all things fruits, veggies, and grains....
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to get all the necessary servings of the food groups, including fruit. There are some fruits that have less sugar than others. Check the glycemic index to see which ones might be more beneficial for you.

I have PCOS, diabetes, and thyroid problems, and I eat fruit daily. I don't think I could live without it!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    my wife was diagnosed with pcos before we had our daughter. She dropped 82 lbs by watching her carbs and exercise, then got pregnant she also has thyroid issues. Try to be low carb and you should be ok
  • fairy06
    Options
    I think it's important to get all the necessary servings of the food groups, including fruit. There are some fruits that have less sugar than others. Check the glycemic index to see which ones might be more beneficial for you.

I have PCOS, diabetes, and thyroid problems, and I eat fruit daily. I don't think I could live without it!

thank you i can have fruit and stay within my limit but i went a bit fruit mad today because i thought it was good for me but then worried about it after - too late really lol x
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is a link about PCOS and eating.

http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/pcos.asp?page=articles/pcos_and_diet_mckittrick

Low carb is only recommended if you are definitely insulin resistant. Yes, there is a high instance of insulin resistance in women with PCOS, but not all women with PCOS have insulin resistance. And exercise will help improve insulin resistance, so you need to continuously have your labs done to make sure you aren't going too far in the opposite direction. (IE: Between exercise and low carb you could drop your blood sugar too low, too)

The best thing you can do without knowing if you have insulin resistance or not, is to go with a low glycemic diet. You still get your carbs, but they don't effect the blood sugar as much. When you do eat a high glycemic food, be sure to mix it with protein or fat in order to decrease its glycemic load. Here is a list of fruits with the glycemic index listed. 100 is the standard of white bread or pure glucose, so you want to stick to lower then that. Anything 55 or below is considered a low GI food.

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html
  • fairy06
    Options
    my wife was diagnosed with pcos before we had our daughter. She dropped 82 lbs by watching her carbs and exercise, then got pregnant she also has thyroid issues. Try to be low carb and you should be ok

thank you x
  • fairy06
    Options
    Here is a link about PCOS and eating.

http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/pcos.asp?page=articles/pcos_and_diet_mckittrick

Low carb is only recommended if you are definitely insulin resistant. Yes, there is a high instance of insulin resistance in women with PCOS, but not all women with PCOS have insulin resistance. And exercise will help improve insulin resistance, so you need to continuously have your labs done to make sure you aren't going too far in the opposite direction. (IE: Between exercise and low carb you could drop your blood sugar too low, too)

The best thing you can do without knowing if you have insulin resistance or not, is to go with a low glycemic diet. You still get your carbs, but they don't effect the blood sugar as much. When you do eat a high glycemic food, be sure to mix it with protein or fat in order to decrease its glycemic load. Here is a list of fruits with the glycemic index listed. 100 is the standard of white bread or pure glucose, so you want to stick to lower then that. Anything 55 or below is considered a low GI food.

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html

thanks ill look into this, should have all the tests back soon and that will help :)
    x
  • misstri
    Options
    I too am polycystic. I try very hard to avoid refined sugar. I've found the more of it that is in my diet - the more I crave it, and that's not a good thing as it leads to binge eating. Fruit does not have this effect on me, but I always choose fruit that is low on the glycemic index (ie: eat apples, oranges rather than pineapple and kiwi fruit). I also make sure that every time I eat fruit I'm also eating a meal (even if a small one) with other things like protein etc., this in turn reduces the glycemic load of the food - as in it changes how your body processes the food, and how your body reacts to what you are feeding it. I've had the most success eating six small meals a day with about 200-300 calories each. Eating a low glycemic index diet has been where I've achieved the most success. Be prepared - its alot of work to plan ahead for the meals, but totally worth it in the long run as you will achieve the results you want. Definetely keep track of what you eat daily so you can check how many carbs/sugar you are consuming vs how you are feeling, and vs how much weight/inches you are losing. When your keeping track its nice and easy to go back and see what was wrong or right with the plan you are on. Exercise is a must. For us polycystic ladies - the more frequent, the better. The plan I use is high protein from lean meat (usually over 100 grams a day), high fibre, calories adjusted for my lifestyle and exercise level, low sodium, low carb (almost all carbs are complex), fat from good sources (in whatever quantity as long as their "good" sources), and low GI.

Whether you will find this or not, I'm unsure but....if I eat white bread (which I never do now) is causes stomach issues - meaning I'm bloated and uncomfortable. Rice cakes, white potatoes eaten too often, popcorn, white breads, items made with white flour. Sodium has a huge impact on me too, insta weight gain if I'm consuming too much. My stomach physically feels fantastic when I'm eating whole grain foods, quinoa, sweet potatoes over white potatoes, brown rice. Give it a try :)

Good luck :)
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Please ask your doctor... a quick call to his/her nurse would suffice. I have pcos as well. I limit refined sugars and only eat natural sugars, including plenty from fruits... daily. This works for me, but we are different people with different medical histories. Your doctor can better guide you based on your specific needs.
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My Reproductive Endocrinologist reccomended that I eat the max protien, max fiber, and enough fats. She reccomended that I limit my carbs and the carbs I eat should be not processed or refined. That's for me anyways. I try to stick to it, but I screw it sometimes...
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I also have/had a repro. endocrinologist (you can see, he worked wonders) and a general endo now that we are finished having babies. Friend me if you want to share stories!