Healthy, inexpensive snacks?

Options
I'm looking for some healthy, yet inexpensive snacks that I can keep around the house for when I get the urge to nosh on something.

Replies

• Amazonbella
    Options
    I take a canister and mix walnuts, dried cranberry's and white chocolate morsels and use that as a trail mix. Then I have a measuring cup beside it and scoop out 1/2 a cup. You get good nutrients and it fills you up....you don't really "over-eat" it.

Another great thing to get is an air-pop popcorn machine....you can make up to 5 cups and the calories are almost none, I flavor mine with 0-cal butter spray and seasoning, like pampered chef citrus basil, so good :)
  • emma1115
    Options
    *Weight watchers chocolate mini rolls are great and a good price

*tin of tuna

*50g of baked beans

*1 scrambled egg

*pistachio nuts
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't recommend nuts as they are so calorie dense, 600 cals for 100g!

How about veg slices, cucumber, peppers, carrots, very low calorie too
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    baby carrots are about a dollar a bag

buying yogurt or cottage cheese in a big tub

popcorn is super cheap - I have a whirlypop and make it on the stove, there are also microwave air poppers

pretzels can be good (sometimes I feel like salt sets off my snacking instead of satisfying it)

cheese string sticks are nice, too.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yogurt (from the big containers), cheese sticks, apples, cottage cheese, popcorn, peanut butter
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    baby carrots are about a dollar a bag

buying yogurt or cottage cheese in a big tub

popcorn is super cheap - I have a whirlypop and make it on the stove, there are also microwave air poppers

pretzels can be good (sometimes I feel like salt sets off my snacking instead of satisfying it)

cheese string sticks are nice, too.

Ha! Exactly :drinker:
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Apple is a great snack, fills me up, sweet, good energy. I purposely look for bags of small apples at the store as it usually suffices the need at smaller calorie consumption

I second the discouragement of nuts, 3 tablespoons of peanuts, 170 cals! 3 tablespoons ... cant even take the edge off!
  • VegJoJo
    VegJoJo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I made some snack bags of dried fruit with choc chips. Some 150cal mix and some 100cal mix. As the fruit is quite sweet, it doesn't matter that there isn't lots ????
    Homemade houmous from canned chickpeas with veggies.
    Cupasoups.
    Rich tea finger biscuits as 5 is just 100cals.
    Potato crisps made in oven or peelings baked and salted.
    Air popped corn.
    Dried cereal great substitute for nuts/seeds. Maybe mix in some dried fruit.

Hope that helps ????
  • VegJoJo
    VegJoJo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also as a sub for nuts, roasted seasoned chickpeas! Just toss/spray with tiny drop of oil, toss in seasoning and bake until crispy golden ????
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn
    banana/apple
    dates
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own beef jerky. I buy a rump roast trim off as much fat as possible then slice it in to strips, put it in a container with soy sauce, a bit of honey, onion powder, red chili flakes and some liquid smoke. Let that marinade for about 24 hours then take the beef out pat it dry with paper towels and lay it out on some furnace filters (don't use fiberglass filters) and strap them to a box fan and let it run on high for about 24 to 48 hours when it is dry it is done. Put in to a mason jar or plastic bags.

Much cheaper then the stuff at the store and no nitrates or other stuff I could not pronounce, also as long as it is dry it will keep practically forever.

You can make it out of other meats just try to find a lean piece which is why I use the rump roast trim off the fat and it is very lean fat is what will go rancid. I know wild game is known to make great jerky because it is normally very lean meat. Lots of protein almost 0 carbs and a great salty treat, chewy so you eat slower.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I make the "Healthy Cookies" from the blog Skinnytaste. They are just made with overipe bananas and oats (and any chip, nut or dried fruit you like in a cookie). Tastes like banana bread and does a good job curbing cravings at about 45 calories a cookie.

Also, light string cheese (takes forever to eat so that helps too) and low cal popcorn measured out to 1 serving size are favorites of mine. I find the longer I can pick at something, the better.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Apples. bananas and grapefruit as they are so filling. Pop corns are good too. Sweet low calorie snacks like would trigger my cravings.
  • cclarocque
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is my go to snack. I keep some small ones at work and a tub at home. My favorite is with some sunflower seeds and a touch of honey. Also the tubs seem to often be on sale at my local supermarket.
  • kshaw5501
    kshaw5501 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I make the "Healthy Cookies" from the blog Skinnytaste. They are just made with overipe bananas and oats (and any chip, nut or dried fruit you like in a cookie). Tastes like banana bread and does a good job curbing cravings at about 45 calories a cookie.

Also, light string cheese (takes forever to eat so that helps too) and low cal popcorn measured out to 1 serving size are favorites of mine. I find the longer I can pick at something, the better.

There is also the PB & J healthy oatmeal cookies on Skinnytaste.com. So good and only 91 calories for 2 cookies.
  • shellabc1
    Options
    Apple cinnamon rice cakes with a little bit of peanut butter spread on them
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I make some of my snacks more inexpensive by shopping at Costco. Roasted Seaweed, Mini bags of microwave popcorn, Pistachios, almonds and edamame are regulars around our house. Oh, and for special treats, Brookside Dark chocolate covered fruit thingies (they have different ones, but they are really just gourmet chocolate covered jelly beans).

Cheaper yet I like peanut butter with celery. Or cheese and an apple, cheese and V8, cheese and popcorn. And my husband just eats cheese with his cheese.

In season fruits can be pretty reasonably priced, depending on where you live.
  • lygillette
    lygillette Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I also like the cracker cuts cheese. I buy trader Joe's or the giant store brand. I count out 2 or 3 and add to a water cracker. Lots of protein to fill you up and a bit of carb to satisfy that craving. Also olives are a great snack too. And dill pickles...crunchy and salty and no calories. Any veggie soup made with vegetable broth or chicken broth...add non starchy veggies, like carrots, green beans, onions, zucchini, summer squash, celery, egg plant, kale, spinach, mushrooms....whatever, can of diced tomatoes, seasonings..and it's a freebie, calorie wise. Tons of fiber and it fills you up. I also add a spoonful of grated parm when I eat it. Actually great all year round! Not too expensive to make...and freezes great so you can make a big batch. If your in a pinch for time and prep, canned veggies work great too. Just be careful of the sodium content if that's a concern.
    Hope this helps!
    Lynn