Polar FT7 heart rate monitor

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I received a few suggestions to purchase a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor but I was curious if I needed to use the chest strap that was included or can I workout without it?

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    The chest strap is what gathers your heart rate, so yes, you need to wear it.
  • npostemni
    Options
    Can't you buy heart rate monitors without chest straps?
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You can but this FT7 is not one of them. I actually believe Polar doesn't make one that doesn't require a chest strap.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You can but theyre typically not as accurate...strap up!
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    Those are nowhere near as accurate.
  • Krista916
    Options
    Some can get a radial pulse HRM but the F7 is not that type. Chest strap monitering is more accurate.
  • npostemni
    Options
    Oh ok. So I wouldn't be able to check my calories used while out on a walk with the polar? I'm getting it for intense cardio but I also want something to track calories for simple things like walking while grocery shopping
  • Krista916
    Options
    Not without the chest strap.....
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've heard that strapless heart rate monitors are not very accurate.

Are you opposed to it because of comfort? Because I don't even notice mine. In fact I often forget to take mine off after my work out until I get in the shower. lol!
  • npostemni
    Options
    Yeah, I just feel as if it wouldn't be comfortable. I wanted a heart rate monitor that I can use for everyday things too. But I guess I can use my phone for that. Because I have heard great things from so many people about the polar.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you are wanting something to track things like "grocery shopping", then I would suggest something like the Fitbit to track all of your activity throughout the day. Use a heart rate monitor to track calories burned through exercise. Grocery shopping in my opinion is just part of your everyday activity. I would be eating WAY too much if I counted those calories as exercise.