Ladies - How do you exercise during that time of the month?

Options
Whenever I get my period, I get the worst cramps and back pain, and just have no energy. Any suggestions for what to do? I also get extreme cravings and find myself eating all day. I don't want to gain! How should I control this?

Replies

• phrendlynut
    phrendlynut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I force myself to walk. I start off at a super slow pace and then increase it as I go. I ***** to myself the entire time but I'm at least moving.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising helps my cramps, particularly stretching and working my abs helps any back pain I get, and boosts my energy. I pop some advil to make the cramps less (and stop the inevitable period headache) first. Maybe go lighter on your intensity to match your energy levels, but just do it.

I'm not sure how to control the cravings, because I totally give into them to a degree, but find that drinking water or tea constantly keeps me from eating all day. Think about what you're craving and see if you can fit it into your macros or if there are alternatives to them. I was seriously craving sweet yesterday, so ate a bunch of oranges and then a little tiny bit of nutella to ease the chocolate craving.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising helps me with the cramps.
    I do nothing different when I'm in that TOM, I tend to eat chocolate but I fit it in my calories/macros
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I workout the same as when I'm not on my period. Just because I'm grumpy, bleeding and tired doesn't change the fact that I still owe myself a workout.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I drink even more water than usual, and my workouts tend to be a little slower than usual, but I just keep on keeping on. Sometimes I add more stretching or yoga, but I do that whenever my back is bothering me.
  • kballard66
    Options
    Yes, can't let that mess slow me down.
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing I always do.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I try to exercise more as I have a bigger appetite so it keeps me away from food,
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work out exactly the same during my TOM as any other time. Exercising definitely helps me with the cramps
  • snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same as most of the others. I do the same as always. Exercise helps the pains and the time you spend exercising is time you're not feeding your face! :D

As for the cravings, just weigh up whether or not it's worth it. If you can fit it into your macros, then great. If not, it's your choice whether you sabotage your diet or not.

Drinking more water will help with both the cramps and the cravings.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Working out actually seems to help me with cramps. I just make myself get up and do it... Will power!!!
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Harder! I read once that we feel less pain and recover faster during this time of the month!!
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I lift like usual, but typically pop an aleve before hand to kill the cramps. I've hit some major personal record in my lifting during that time of the month, so I learned my lesson to never skip.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    even with the prescription pain meds, I feel like dung.
    so I just have hot baths & early nights instead.
    i'm perfectly happy with that.

don't fret about what everybody else is up to.
    figure out what works for you.
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Harder! I read once that we feel less pain and recover faster during this time of the month!!

^^this I didn't know - but I like it! Next month I work harder!
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I workout the same as when I'm not on my period. Just because I'm grumpy, bleeding and tired doesn't change the fact that I still owe myself a workout.

Exactly!!!
    This is the only way to be...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get my period, I get the worst cramps and back pain, and just have no energy. Any suggestions for what to do? I also get extreme cravings and find myself eating all day. I don't want to gain! How should I control this?

Walk. It's the most natural movement. If you feel like doing more, fine, do it. But walking is great exercise and may help with the cramps.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, even if it is just walking. I find it helps with cramps, and if nothing else, it takes your mind off of it. Once you start doing regular exercise, your cramps are supposed to get easier. Mine did, once I got active.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I just do it.
    I may be more tired and a bit weaker but I just lift lighter and go a little easier on my cardio (not much). Having your period is not an excuse to not do something.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Work through it man!!! NO excuses! Seriously there should be no difference of how you work out. Unless there is a medical reason why you can not....just power through