Heart rate monitor

Options
npostemni
npostemni Posts: 102 Member
I'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor but I do not know the right kind to buy. I don't even know where to start with research. Do I need one with a chest strap? Or not? I don't want to spend a small fortune. Maybe up to $60. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
Thanks!!

Replies

• amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and Love it. The ones with a chest strap can be more accurate.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/heart-rate-monitor.html
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think only the chest strap versions give a continuous readout, others require you to put a finger on a sensor to measure pulse.

One thing to consider is whether you intend to just use it on your person, or whether you want something that uploads data to the web etc.
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my polar ft4. Super affordable, and I hate having to workout without it!

It does include a chest strap, which I didn't know about until I opened the package.
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I have a polar ft40 I loveeee it, it is a little pricey mine was around $115 on amazon but after waiting years to decide to get it, it was way worth it.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Several have already mentioned but for the money, you can't beat the Polar FT4 with Chest strap. Inexpensive, accurate and if working in gym will sinc with many of the elliptical machines and treadmills to give readouts on screen. Versatile enough to wear in the pool although I found it does shorten life cycle
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a polar FT4 from pedometerusa.com. It's brand new and was 61.52 BUT if you go to retailmenot.com they have a 5% off coupon code. So all together I ordered it and had it shipped to me for $59.47 Can't beat that! This is my first HRM and I'm excited to actually SEE how much I am burning each workout session!! I also researched before buying and found that the chest strap HRM's are THE most accurate one's and Polar came highly recommended. Good Luck!