Would you rather run in 80°F or 30°F?

Options

Replies

• RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    right now....80s. Winter is too long in alaska at 6 months.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I hate running but 32 degrees F = 0 degrees C, right?

30 degrees F sounds like the ideal temperature for me to do cardio type exercises. When I used to play ice hockey, on the rare occasions we actually played in the proper cold, i.e proper sub zero (Celsius) as opposed to British ice rink temperatures (about 5-10 degrees C) I had a lot more stamina.

I like the cold a lot and don't like hot weather much.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would say between 30 and 80. Closer to 30 is mor comfortable. Below 30 my teeth hurt and above 80 I start melting. perfect is 40s or 50s.
  • lldelfos
    lldelfos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    30 definately! Can add layers and remove if necessary. 80 degrees? Can only take so much off without getting your name in the news.
  • frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I prefer 30. These days I train for a half marathon happening in april so I have to train no matter what. I live in Quebec so it's not unusual that I go out for a run at between -10 and -20 fahrenheit. That's rough!!!!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    30 definitely!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to run the last few weeks but it's been ~10 or less degrees with a -15 wind chill...any tips for running in the super cold??

I haven't figured this out myself outside of being sure to cover all of my skin (including some vaseline on my face). It's been extra cold in the DC area this winter...
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to run the last few weeks but it's been ~10 or less degrees with a -15 wind chill...any tips for running in the super cold??

I haven't figured this out myself outside of being sure to cover all of my skin (including some vaseline on my face). It's been extra cold in the DC area this winter...

This website was helpful for me....although I've still been too wimpy to run in temps below 20ish F (especially if its windy like it has been recently:

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30 any day over 80. I run so much better in colder weather and last longer. As others have said, I can warm up but it's harder to cool down while running. Plus, since I live in Florida...it always seems like when it is 80, it is humid.
  • chrisrc131
    chrisrc131 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Definitely 30. That's around the point where I consider wearing pants or something under the shorts. I don't consider it too cold for me until under 10 or so and that's largely because I hate running dressed for the cold weather and that has a lot to do with the fact I'm too cheap to properly equip myself for it.

Anything much over 80 and I think I'll just be taking a slow stroll toward that shade over there. I mean, I'll deal with it, but the heat just sucks the fun right out of things.
  • killerbunneh4
    Options
    30. My fastest run time ever was at 21 degrees and a much higher altitude than where I live.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    80 without a doubt. I've lived in Florida all my life and used to running in the heat. Anything under 50's I'm uncomfortably cold!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'd take the 30º any day! I run faster and farther in cooler temps - I prefer temps below 60º.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    80? That's nothing. Unless you count in humidity...then I guess I'll take the 30
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Depends on humidity....if it's not humid, then 80, if it is 30.

I just ran a 5k race in single digits though, and it wasn't that bad.

My best running, zero humidity, like 65-70
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    At 30 achilles get too tight too easily otherwise. Either takes forever to warm-up, because if dressed properly it's not that warm for awhile.

Worst was starting at 12 going up to 22 F for a marathon in November.

Water at aid stations was frozen (why did they prefill and set the cups out?).
    Long Lines formed, got little bitty 25% filled cups.
    Other remote aid stations (race on bike/walk trail following creek basically) were abandoned, with at least insulated water containers with water in them - self-serve.

And had never tested the effects of energy gel on not enough water, nor enough blood to the stomach. Bad, ohhhh bad.
    Let's just say the forced slowdown from that had positive side effect of I didn't need them at that slower pace.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    80 for sure! No doubt about it. Love heat, hate the cold!:tongue:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    80°F for sure! I've done races in 85 degree temperature. It's nothing. I love the warmth. I don't care for very cold temps.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    80. I get injured in cold weather.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona,Az native, so definitely 80. Actually 80 here is really nice weather....here in Phoenix it's very dry so that makes a difference.(well,except during the monsoons) I go hiking when it's over 100 degrees...just need lots of water! When it's over 115 it's just too hot to do anything.