Should I Join a Gym?

Options
Especially with the cold weather (it's 10 F where I live right now), I've lost a lot of motivation to go outside and run. So I've turned to online workout videos. I started doing the 30 Day Shred, but once I got to Level 2, I lost motivation for that too. I'm debating whether I should join a gym. I think making a paid commitment might be what I need to push me to keep up with it, but maybe my lack of motivation is just that, and joining a gym won't help. I should also note that I wouldn't know how to use any of the equipment aside from the treadmills and the elliptical. Have any of you found joining a gym to be particularly helpful in pushing you to work out?

Replies

• biggestkahuna
    biggestkahuna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, planet fitness , only $10 a month. hope there is one near you
  • frank6666
    frank6666 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You should join a gym and pay for some private sessions with an instructor. When you have that scheduled you can't use an excuse not to go

It's also a good thing to find a buddy to go with. It help with the motivation

For my part I went to the gym for 4 years until I had a career shift that forced me to cancel (no time between job and the kids). But at least, I still had th emotivation so I purchased some equipements and some DVDs and I train at home after the kids are in bed
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    First you should define your goal. Once you've determined the goal, you then need to make a commitment. A real commitment.

Until you do that, you won't really be motivated for the long haul.
  • Phanatical
    Phanatical Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness. $10 a month isn't too steep, but it makes me want to go since I'm paying for it! Also, once I get into a groove at the gym I hate to miss a session. Since I've started back up I'm way more motivated and feel great, never exhausted after work anymore! I also live in super cold temps right now in Philly and the gym is so warm and inviting!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yes, planet fitness , only $10 a month. hope there is one near you
    holly molly that is cheap. I have never seen a gym that cheap around here. Gym membership for adults start at $50 and up , except some women only gym with $30 monthly membership IF you commit for 3! years.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I personally did not want to join a gym as I knew I would not go often enough to make it worth it (even at that price).

So I sucked it up and bought a weight set. Best investment ever! I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I adore it!

For the record, I loathe cardio, and this is the only kind of workout I have ever stuck to.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm always so envious of people who can workout at home. I always associate home with rest and relaxation, so when I try to work out there, I find myself slacking off and wanted to relax.
    I'm on a real tight budget and I joined Planet Fitness. I pay $10 a month. I really like Planet Fitness. If all you plan on using is the elliptical and treadmill, you're in luck. They've got tons of them.
    They have a trainer there who can set up a workout plan for you, if you wanted that. There are also "classes" but they're not the stereotypical gym classes like Zumba or Spin Class (which is a plus for me, because I, personally, found it easy to slack off, but others view it as a flaw.) The classes are about 5 people who the trainer works with. We use a lot of the free weights and we focus on arms, legs, shoulders, neck, abs, etc.
    I also really like going to the gym because it's a time for me to escape and get some healthy me time :) And it's great to be surrounded by people all working for the same goal.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I personally did not want to join a gym as I knew I would not go often enough to make it worth it (even at that price).

So I sucked it up and bought a weight set. Best investment ever! I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 and I adore it!

For the record, I loathe cardio, and this is the only kind of workout I have ever stuck to.

Good point about knowing how often you'd go. My gym is no more than 10 minutes away from my house and it's like 5 minutes from my office, so I knew I would have time to go and I knew I'd go frequently.