Options
TDEE: 2199 depending on activity.
BMR: 1519

Why has myfitnesspal only giving me:
1880 to lose 0.5lb
1630 to lose 1lb
1380 to lose 1.5lb
1200 to lose 2lb

Does this sound correct to you? Seems a bit low to me.
Isn't 2000 the average of what a women should eat?

Replies

• naomisnook
    naomisnook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with the caloric intake confusion.

It's taken me about 4 months to lose 7 pounds when I'm tracking my calories here. MFP suggests 1390 calories/day to lose 2 pounds/week for me and I'm getting no where (and I do CrossFit 4x a week). The past few weeks of no scale progress has got me pissed off enough to research the hell out of nutrition and was learning about TDEE yesterday. According the the IIFYM Calculator (http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/), my BMR is 1708 and my TDEE is 2424, so for Fat Loss, they're projecting I need around 1900 calories.

I've started eating more the past week or so and I've finally started to see the scale creep down. And just for the record, I have been measuring every month and taking comparison pictures and there are changes, but I've just been obsessing over why the scale isn't moving because I'm sick of seeing that gigantic number on there.

I'm definitely not an expert, but 1200/day to lose 2 lbs/wk seems really low. I'm curious what the IIFYM calculator will output for you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP sets a goal for you expecting to add extra calories to it once you log your exercise. This is the biggest difference between MFP, which is a NEAT style calculator, and your TDEE calculator which already includes your exercise calories. Usually, logging your exercise here will bring the two numbers closer together.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    MFP sets a goal for you expecting to add extra calories to it once you log your exercise. This is the biggest difference between MFP, which is a NEAT style calculator, and your TDEE calculator which already includes your exercise calories. Usually, logging your exercise here will bring the two numbers closer together.

If you were to burn about 250 calories a day and then eat them back that would bring your numbers up to be compatible with TDEE minus -250 calories which would result in .5 lb a week, MFP and TDEE are right about the same.

ETA- they are at least within a 100 calorie margin.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    Options
    Try using this it might give you the answers you need :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

1880 to lose 0.5lb
    1630 to lose 1lb
    1380 to lose 1.5lb
    1200 to lose 2lb

2000 is kinda the ball park for maintenance...as evidenced by your roughly 2200 calorie TDEE. To lose weight you would have to eat less than that. 500 calories less to lose roughly 1 Lb per week....1000 calories less to lose roughly 2 Lbs per week. You have to keep in mind that the less you have to lose the slower you have to go to do this safely and in a healthy way. 1200 is the minimum.

Also, with MFP you don't include exercise in your activity level like you do with TDEE...you log it after the fact and earn calories to eat back...that's the part that people really fail to realize...there are two different methods at work here and you need to understand which one you are using. If you're doing it right, the two methods are basically 6 of 1.

Here are my numbers...MFP to lose 1 Lb per week (light active setting WITHOUT Exercise) = 1,850 calories...this means that my MFP maintenance goal with no exercise would be 1,850 + 500 = 2,350. On average I burn around 400 calories per day with exercise so I would gross 1,850 + 400 = 2,250 and still maintain my 500 calorie net deficit because now my maintenance with my exercise included would be 2,350 + 400 = 2,750. And 2,750 - 2,250 = 500 calorie deficit still.

IIFYM gives me a TDEE of 2,800 that is inclusive of all of my activity, including exercise (so I wouldn't eat back calories with this method). If I take a 20% cut that gives me roughly 1 lb per week weight loss...2,800 x 0.80 = 2,240 calories to lose roughly 1 Lb per week.

As you can see, the difference in gross calories with MFP vs TDEE is a mere 10 calories...and the difference in my net deficit between the two methods is 560 - 500 = 60 calories. Totally negligible differences.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

1880 to lose 0.5lb
    1630 to lose 1lb
    1380 to lose 1.5lb
    1200 to lose 2lb

TDEE table method:
    BMR 1519 x 1.45 Light to Moderately Active = 2203 (your site was rounding with kg probably)
    Assumed you took the average between 2 levels, so that includes 1-5 hrs of exercise weekly on top of sedentary life otherwise.
    Expected exercise included would be average daily of 380 calories.

MFP method:
    BMR 1519 (or abouts) x 1.4 Lightly Active (not exercise just daily life) = 2127 (probably slight difference in BMR formula used)
    Non-exercise maintenance 2130 + 380 average exercise = 2510
    Non-exercise days Maintenance 2127 - 500 for 1lb weekly = 1627
    Exercise day maintenance 2510 - 500 = 2010

The difference is because in MFP you are likely honest with Lightly Active as your non-exercise level of activity. Then you add exercise burn on top.
    But the TDEE tables always start with sedentary and merely add on exercise, you have to bump it up a level if above sedentary.

That would make TDEE method.
    1519 x 1.55 Moderately Active = 2355
    With exercise above a Lightly Active style averaging daily 265, or 1855 weekly.

Does that now match MFP Lightly Active with calories added?
    MFP non-exercise maintenance 2127 + 265 = 2392

Within 40 calories.

With TDEE method you eat the same daily, can plan better, and may be goal oriented to get the workout in.

With MFP method you eat different daily depending on the workout, and may be more reward oriented to want to eat more food.

Edit - just noticed Wolfman analysed it too.