Protein ideas

Jocampgrl
Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
I am consistently low on my protein allowance every day. Low by like 30 grams. I'm looking for quick recipes or ideas that pack a powerful protein punch. I don't like eggs and the cost of protein powders are hard to swing. I am guessing that since I am low my three young children are as well so any ideas are much appreciated.

Replies

• CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    I roast chicken breast chunks (sometimes I season them with different flavors) and we snack on these instead of reaching for cookies etc.

6 1" cubes is around:

188 cals
    0 carbs
    4 fat
    35 protein
    0 fiber
    0 sugar

and very filling!!!
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you! That's a great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Edamame, nuts, yogurt and hard cheeses all make excellent contributions to your protein intake.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    pb-450x355.jpg

It's fabulous and more protein than regular peanut butter :)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Kashi oatmeal has one with 9 grams. Its a good way to start out the day and keep you feeling full.
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Parmesan cheese crisps? They're yummy. Google for recipes.

Kroger's 'carb master' yogurt is pretty cheap and decent on protein.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Protein powder isn't expensive at all once you do the math on it. I'm not sure there's actually any cheaper source of protein.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Egg whites! Low cal and high protein. I started baking mine in small foil pie dishes. I'll add peppers and green onion plus some flax to change up the taste. Serve with some mustard.. Yummy.....but I also eat natural PB by the spoonful... Mm yummy
  • Hummus on carrots and celery
  • I like Greek yogurt mixed with cottage cheese it ends up being around 20 grams of protein for about 250 calories or so.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Salmon caviar, lobster, shrimp.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    just want this on my newsfeed
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    My MFP friends got me started me on Quest bars, 21g protein and lots of fibre. They are the first protein bars that I actually enjoy eating.

Beef jerky for snacking.

Wafer-thin low-fat turkey or chicken slices from a deli - rolled around some low-fat cheese and a veg (like a leaf of lettuce or a cucumber stick).

Plain greek yoghurt over berries.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    I do the roast chicken (or turkey) as well. Jerky is a good source as well - unless you have issues w/sodium (I make my own now because of that). Egg whites (make a shake w/egg whites, greek 0% yogurt, unsweetened almond milk and almond butter - gives you over 30g of protein). Ricotta cheese or dry curd cottage cheese are also good sources.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member

....and your back....and face.....
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member

....and your back....and face.....

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: '

everywhere but the hair...
    giphy.gif \m/
  • kblifestyle
    kblifestyle Posts: 8 Member
    http://naturalred.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/protein-lunch-options/

We have incorporated more protein into our diets recently after increasing the amount of workouts we do. You may find my blog posting helpful.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Nuts! Almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc.....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I've got some pretty good protein ideas. PM me for details.