eating back the calories you burn

Options
2»

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    perhaps this will simplify the MFP model:

If you eat back your exercise calories, you will be eating at a calorie defecit.

If you do NOT eat back your exercise calories, you will be eating at a bigger calorie defecit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I burn about 700 cals a day or 650 and i eat 1100 and im staying at 115-117. im 5'3 also and 22 yrs old

You're saying your maintenance is 400-450 calories a day?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back, but don't trust the number of calories burned by what you find here....I would do about half of what they say unless you are using an HRM.
    If you are following MFP the way it's designed, you eat them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...assuming the numbers are all accurate for your body...

Unfortunately, that' s not a good assumption. We know that people, in general, are even worse at estimating calorie burns than they are at estimating calorie intake.

And like clockwork, we get an example of that from the Land of Impossibility...
    I burn about 700 cals a day or 650 and i eat 1100 and im staying at 115-117. im 5'3 also and 22 yrs old...

No, sorry, you don't. 400 net calories a day is half the net calories provided to concentration camp prisoners. If you were truly doing that, your body would start looking like the body of a concentration camp survivor.
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am counting my food calories accurately, but possibly not my exercise calories. It doesn't make sense though because I have been eating just under 1200 calories and exercise 45 to 50 minutes a day on weekdays and I haven't lost weight for 2 weeks. I am eating healthy too and I just eat when I'm hungry.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I am counting my food calories accurately, but possibly not my exercise calories. It doesn't make sense though because I have been eating just under 1200 calories and exercise 45 to 50 minutes a day on weekdays and I haven't lost weight for 2 weeks. I am eating healthy too and I just eat when I'm hungry.

Two weeks is not enough time to determine whether or not a system is working for you, especially once you factor in the extra water weight your body tends to hold when you start a new exercise program, which can mask any fat loss that's happening in the background.

Unfortunately, hunger is one of the least reliable methods to be sure that you're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control hunger can be suppressed by a number of different factors, including undereating.

When you say that you're "pretty sure" that you're counting food calories accurately, does that mean you're using a well-calibrated food scale?
  • JLBurke1
    Options
    I admit that I didnt read all the way down so I apologize in advance if someone said this...For ME, eating some of the calories I earn from exercising creates huge motivation for me to do the exercise to get the extra calories and then have the room and the right to a treat at the end of the day: like a 1/2 cup serving of icecream or eating a bit more dinner than I normally would. I have been doing this and I continue to lose weight so far. I am often inclined to just use the extra calories calculated by MFP instead of recoding that I was running rather than walking and the time, etc. It seems that MFP gives me less extra calories than entering what I actually did and that keeps me losing weight. Another tip that has worked for me is using the Fitbit Flex and taking the stairs every day. I have to do about 12 flights to get to and from my desk to outside. Since the Flex does not record stair climbing it does not calculate the stairs, it just views them as steps which works for me as it does not then give me extra calories. Good Luck on your journey.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Two weeks is not enough time to determine whether or not a system is working for you, especially once you factor in the extra water weight your body tends to hold when you start a new exercise program, which can mask any fat loss that's happening in the background.

Unfortunately, hunger is one of the least reliable methods to be sure that you're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control hunger can be suppressed by a number of different factors, including undereating.

When you say that you're "pretty sure" that you're counting food calories accurately, does that mean you're using a well-calibrated food scale?

agree that you need to give it more time. sometimes the ball doesn't really start to get rolling for a month or a month and a half, even when things are basically perfect calories wise.
  • jenni_d1990
    jenni_d1990 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yeah I lost 9 lbs the first 2 weeks but I suppose maybe that was just water weight? Now I'm not losing, but it's just been a month since I started...
  • Jaeger80
    Options
    fitnesschange_zpsf71e0d73.jpg
  • Jaeger80
    Options
    finally got the damn pic to post HAHA