Ladies - How do you exercise during that time of the month?

Options

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I workout the same as when I'm not on my period. Just because I'm grumpy, bleeding and tired doesn't change the fact that I still owe myself a workout.

Exactly!!!
    This is the only way to be...
    i'm pretty sure it isn't.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    don't fret about what everybody else is up to.
    figure out what works for you.

This. Some people find exercise makes them better. Some people worse. Some people find a certain type of exercise works better others can just stick with the same. There's no right answer.

For me I'm quite lucky. Nothing too severe just tiredness and general lethargy. So generally I keep it the same except I usually skip swimming (which I generally do daily) for a day or two, especially in winter. For some reason during those first couple of days of my period I seem much more sensitive to the cold and getting in a pool at 6:30am which isn't overly warm is really unappealing. Normally it takes me about 15 laps before I stop feeling unpleasantly cold - when I have my period I sometimes finish the whole 60 laps and still feel chilled.

But it depends on the month.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I lift like usual, but typically pop an aleve before hand to kill the cramps. I've hit some major personal record in my lifting during that time of the month, so I learned my lesson to never skip.

And most of my personal running records are from that time of the month!

Power through it - it makes the cramps go away!
  • glovepuppet
    Options

This. Some people find exercise makes them better. Some people worse. Some people find a certain type of exercise works better others can just stick with the same. There's no right answer.

For me I'm quite lucky. Nothing too severe just tiredness and general lethargy. So generally I keep it the same except I usually skip swimming (which I generally do daily) for a day or two, especially in winter. For some reason during those first couple of days of my period I seem much more sensitive to the cold and getting in a pool at 6:30am which isn't overly warm is really unappealing. Normally it takes me about 15 laps before I stop feeling unpleasantly cold - when I have my period I sometimes finish the whole 60 laps and still feel chilled.

I find working out makes my flow heavier (i'm on meds for heavy flow too. we're talking tsunami), makes my back ache worse and exhausts me. plus I've found i'm far more likely to injure myself.

the world doesn't end if I skip it. I don't suddenly balloon 20 pounds and lose all my stamina. after my period i'm still the same relatively healthy person I was before my period.

I don't see why some people feel the need to make others feel like they're quitters or failures or letting themselves down just because they do things differently.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I pop some Tylenol beforehand if needed. It's business as usual for me!
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I get it all. The mind numbing pain, the cravings, the crying...all of it. I do find that going to the gym & taking out my period pain/anger out on the elliptical helps, a LOT. I use the 5 days (that's how long it usually lasts for me) as a huge motivation for me to make an extra push to lose weight. It generally works too. I'll usually lose a pound or two on my period. It's the craving sweets right before that's the harder part. :tongue: But that's where discipline comes in.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It depends how I'm feeling - my only consistent symptom/complaint during my TOM is that it screws up my sleep (I either can't fall asleep, or I wake up every half hour, or I wake up 3 hours before my alarm and can't fall back asleep). Valerian tea helps, but sometimes it's just a lost cause. This usually occurs during the first day or two, which is also my heaviest - on these days, I'm exhausted and I allow my body to rest, and I try to add iron-rich foods. Other than that, I just work out depending on how my body feels, i.e. if I'm crampy I like to do gentle/restorative/yin yoga (I think the breathing and relaxation helps). If my boobs hurt, I stay away from anything that involves laying face down on the floor or jumping up and down and usually just lift weights. If I'm feeling emotional or b*tchy, I avoid the gym/yoga/ballet studio and do something at home.

Just listen to your body - it'll tell you what it needs and what it can/can't handle!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to get a bit of exercise even if you can't do too much.
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    I lay in my bed and cry and sleep on a heating pad. If I do well, I don't do chocolate truffle curls from morning till night. My periods are horrible and there's no way I could walk much less work out.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Recumbent bike, if needed you can put heat on your bike while you ride for the back pain...but you aren't putting unnecessary pressure on anything that already hurts. I have permanent back pain due to 4 bulging disks in my back, when things are good, I'm on the treadmill, when I'm in pain, recumbent bike.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    With a cup.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I find working out makes my flow heavier (i'm on meds for heavy flow too. we're talking tsunami), makes my back ache worse and exhausts me. plus I've found i'm far more likely to injure myself.

the world doesn't end if I skip it. I don't suddenly balloon 20 pounds and lose all my stamina. after my period i'm still the same relatively healthy person I was before my period.

I don't see why some people feel the need to make others feel like they're quitters or failures or letting themselves down just because they do things differently.

You seem to be taking other people's words of encouragement to the OP as offensive towards you. It's cool if you don't like/want/can workout during your period. No one will fault you, or even really care. Just don't get on here and start spewing negativity. No one wants to hear that. The OP was asking what to do and how to control her situation...which probably means she doesn't want to sit around and veg out. So unless you can help the situation, and give some advice or encouragement, silence yourself.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything differently, workouts are still the same.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Because exercise helps relieve PMS symptoms. Especially cramps.
  • DaniMarie180
    Options
    Whenever I get my period, I get the worst cramps and back pain, and just have no energy. Any suggestions for what to do? I also get extreme cravings and find myself eating all day. I don't want to gain! How should I control this?

I am the very same way, and have been this way since I was 13. I Regarding cramping and back pain (which I too get) I've found that once I get myself to the gym that I DO feel better when I finish than if I stayed home on the couch curled up. Not gonna lie--it's hard sometimes! I really listen to my body and know when to back off a bit or to modify my routine.

For cravings, I know of nothing other than just powering through the crave knowing it's going to be just 1 day. Maybe 2. The crave battle is my biggest hurdle.

Hang in there, Moon Sister! :flowerforyou:
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Unless I have a migraine I continue to keep to my routine. However, I also try not to be too hard on myself if during that time I dont run as fast as I normally would or need to take a few more breaks for water. The most important thing for me is getting out there and doing it. I do find that while getting motivated during that time is difficult, I almost always feel better once I get my workout in. As for the food that's a hard one for me because I end up craving a lot of sweets during that time. Lately I have been snacking on grapes to help.
  • socomary
    Options
    I pop ibuprofen and go for a good walk, and I make time for it because I owe it to myself to be mindful of me and my needs. It's hard to find the energy sometimes, but once I get moving, I feel so much better. If the weather is crappy, I also have easy access to an elliptical trainer - I'll find an interesting podcast, plop on the headphones, and just go for it!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am/was the same way, but I am definitely one who has found working out through the cramps has made them generally more bearable. Cravings I give in to a bit, sometimes I can balance them out in my day, not always, but then we move forward. But as others have said, you just have to find out what works for you, whether or not that is exercising, or moving about, or just lounging until they are over and going back to your routine afterwards.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I do it with a pearl tampon...not sure about anyone else
  • glovepuppet
    Options

You seem to be taking other people's words of encouragement to the OP as offensive towards you. It's cool if you don't like/want/can workout during your period. No one will fault you, or even really care. Just don't get on here and start spewing negativity. No one wants to hear that. The OP was asking what to do and how to control her situation...which probably means she doesn't want to sit around and veg out. So unless you can help the situation, and give some advice or encouragement, silence yourself.
    no, i'm taking some of these words exactly as they're typed. blanket statements help nobody.
    the op asked what others do, but that doesn't mean she's up to doing the same (or not up to doing the same). she could be feeling guilty about not working out when she's feeling dire, or she could just be feeling a bit grotty and wondering if others get through it. plus, this thread will be opened by other women with similar questions.

it's great to encourage, as long as it's done by using encouraging terms. if it's done with undertones of guilt tripping and failure labels then it's unhealthy. they are spewing negativity under a guise of positivity. aren't we already made to feel guilty enough? I consider my counterpoint to be encouraging and helpful... women don't need to beat themselves up over this stuff.

so I won't be silencing myself on this issue. she needs to do what is right for her. feel free not to read my expressions of free speech if they offend you.