How Much Protein at a Time?

Recent recommendations call for 1.1-1.4 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM) during caloric restriction. For me, I am ~151.8 pounds with ~27% body fat so that makes about 41 pounds of fat and 110.8 grams LBM. So, on a daily basis I should eat from ~122 to 155 grams of protein per day.

Some studies I have read suggest that we can only use about 20 grams of protein at any one time for muscle repair/gain, the rest is "wasted".

Do you think this is really true? I question the 20 grams at a time first of all because of differences in individual digestion/absorption rates. Secondly, it would seem that this would require an individual to eat 7 - 8 times throughout the day to optimally obtain the recommended levels of protein, which seems like a lot of work to me.

I would like to hear some perspectives on how you make this work with your day/schedule/lifestyle.

Thanks!

Replies

• kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    I have read ~30 grams at a time... Different sources, different information, so frustrating!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Some studies I have read suggest that we can only use about 20 grams of protein at any one time for muscle repair/gain, the rest is "wasted".

This is pure broscience. Can be effective, but not based on science.

I'm going for 200+ gr of portein and I eat 4 times a day, shooting for 40-50 grams a meal. I've heard of people having success with 120 gr in one meal. Experiment, see what works for you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    If this was true, then eating a chicken breast would put you over...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Paige said it best. A good size chicken breast has more than that.

I eat twice a day and get between 130g and 160g a day normally, which means at least 65g a meal, although the biggest I go is about 84g when I make my super protein pancake.

So far so good, I bulked that way as well and never had any issues.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,882 Member
    Basically that refers to hours and not per meal. Digestion takes hours and it's in the 30g's range not 20. If you ate 100 g's of protein at one time it all gets used because it takes 4 or 5 hours to digest.
  • Basically that refers to hours and not per meal. Digestion takes hours and it's in the 30g's range not 20. If you ate 100 g's of protein at one time it all gets used because it takes 4 or 5 hours to digest.

Yes, this makes sense to me; thanks :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Paige said it best. A good size chicken breast has more than that.

I eat twice a day and get between 130g and 160g a day normally, which means at least 65g a meal, although the biggest I go is about 84g when I make my super protein pancake.

So far so good, I bulked that way as well and never had any issues.

Thanks. I'm trying to do 40/30/30 Protein/Carb/Fat and I'm getting in around 30-50 grams a meal. It's hard though! I"m not trying to bulk as I'm still on a deficit. I'm glad all my protein efforts aren't going to waste!
  • PRMinx
    Basically that refers to hours and not per meal. Digestion takes hours and it's in the 30g's range not 20. If you ate 100 g's of protein at one time it all gets used because it takes 4 or 5 hours to digest.

Thank you.