Women Only!!!

Options
Ladies, I've got some concerns...

In the past month, I've been working out about 5-6 times a week, counting calories, and in the past 2 months total, I've lost almost 10 lbs, and almost 4 inches off my stomach. Here's my issue:
I had a baby in April. I quit nursing in August. I got my first.. er... monthly visitor.. the beginning of October, and haven't had it since. I've had occasional cramps almost all month long, but nothing! I'm wondering, is it normal to be irregular for awhile after nursing, and could my intense exercise have something to do with it? Who knows! Help, help!

Replies

• andeeinevansville
    Options
    Well, all I can do is tell you from my personal experience...I have had 5 babies, and nursed all of them..Nursing can keep your period from coming for months..so once I quit nursing, it took a good 6 months or so for my monthly cycle to get regular again..Plus weigh loss and stress can also affect your cycle...Us women are very complex! :)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've never been pregnant, but I was a highly competitive athlete for a long time & my period were super irregular, I'd skip a month or be 2-3 weeks late several times a year. Your body changed from pregnancy, then you stopped nursing, and now you've thrown regular exercise in the mix. I'd say if you don't get by some time in December/January then you should check with your doc.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the nursing ... but I just started working out a bout 2 months ago as well, and I've always been regular. This month, I was a week late. I've heard the exercise will have an effect on that time of the month.
  • _Sarah_
    Options
    After I had my son my periods weren't regular for about 6 months. It's not uncommon. If you are concerned you could always ask your doctor.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Combo of hormones changing from being pregnant, to not be pregnant but nursing, to not nursing is enough.

If you resume or begin to use birth control, that will regulate your hormones again. Personally, I can't take the pill because the hormones introduced send me into migranes. I used the patch for some time but due to my weight, it was not able to provided an adequate amount of hormone. So, I use the Nuva Ring. Once a month. Doesn't mess with me as far as migranes.

Maybe more info than you were looking for, but everyone needs to know their options.
  • blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i know when i was in sports in school and college, it was irregular. i got on birth control and then it was more regular. drinking water really helped, but all the energy going towards my sports and the stressors of being in college/ all the exercises really screwed up the hormones that cause that time.

hope that helps, don't stress over it!

kristy
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have got 8 kids nursed them all .. like an above poster mentioned all I can tell you is from my personal experience. because all of us are dfferent. . For me, when the baby was weened AF returned within a few weeks and I was always regular from that point on. Though stress and exercise can affect your cycle.. but I suggest you take a pregnancy test. it is very easy to get pg again right after the birth of a baby.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've bf three for between 14 and 29 months each and it took a very long time for things to get close to regular again. If you're at all concerned, I would definitely take a pregnancy test to ease your mind, but it's probably just that your body is still trying to get back to normal.
  • nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies- i better not be, or my husband is a dead man! lol. i am just going to chock it up to my change in activity and weight loss.