I am so sad

Options
I started back on here on 1/3/14 with all my hopes of being down 50 pounds by May. Well as of 1/21/14 I am down 5 pounds (I weigh one time a week). When I checked my weight this week I am up 3 pounds and I am not doing anything diffrent. I feel so down and depressed. My Calories for a day is to be 1480 and I try to not go over and sometimes I am way under. SW was 226 last week 221 and now 224 What do I need to do.

Replies

• gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First, don't panic. If you've been sticking near your calorie goal there is no way you've gained 3 pounds of fat. It is most likely water weight due to higher sodium meals or hormone related water retention. Just stick with it.

Second. A word of advice: Set goals that you can control. I just had a realization this week as my weight loss has slowed dramatically over the past few months to 2 pounds or less per month. While you may be able to lose 50 pounds by May, your body may have different plans. Instead, try setting goals like "I'll exercise 5 days every week" or "I won't exceed my calories this month" These are things you can do.

Good luck--you can do this. You don't want it to be a quick fix, you want lasting results. :smile:
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    First of all, don't feel sad. Healthy weight loss should be around 1-2 pounds per week. AND for most people, it takes time to start seeing results after starting a new program/fitness routine. It took me 4 weeks to start seeing any changes and then the weight really started to come off. Give it another couple of weeks and then weigh yourself again. If you are working out regularly and eating at a deficit, you WILL lose weight. It just takes time to get started sometimes.

Keep at it! :smile:
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. But what it is likely NOT is fat!!! So, try not to lose heart. Stick it out! This is a journey in life change, not a sprint.
  • sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started back on here on 1/3/14 with all my hopes of being down 50 pounds by May. Well as of 1/21/14 I am down 5 pounds (I weigh one time a week). When I checked my weight this week I am up 3 pounds and I am not doing anything diffrent. I feel so down and depressed. My Calories for a day is to be 1480 and I try to not go over and sometimes I am way under. SW was 226 last week 221 and now 224 What do I need to do.

I don't know for sure but it's probably water weight. (I am speaking from my own experience). I only weigh myself once a week as well but only usually 2 weeks a month. The week before my period and during I do NOT weigh myself as I am ALWAYS (alwayss!!) up about 3-5 pounds but it falls off at about 4 days after my period finishes. I don't usually drink enough water which is why I may have this problem of water retention.

Just an idea..don't be discouraged as I doubt it's actual fat if your only having 1480 calories/day.

To make u feel better, one day I randomly weighed myself in the evening and I was up 2lbs...was like omg...then said to myself just wait til tomorrow morning I bet it will be gone. Yup...within 12 hours or so I actually dropped 3.5lbs! So I was down more than I thought just by waiting until the morning haha.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get sad when you don't see the results you want right away. Keep in mind if you are eating below your daily caloric allowance, you could be in effect hurting yourself. You're body might hold on to everything, thinking it won't get enough. It will turn around again, but there is a reason you should keep to a low limit as well. Plus there are many reasons you could be up again. Water, cycle, movements.....sorry for the detail, but its all true.

You've set yourself a pretty heafty goal and kudos to you for doing what you can to achieve it. But the best way to loose the weight and keep it off is by a lifestyle change which is a long run type of thing...not a sprint (as someone else put here).

Take your time and don't get discouraged. It's about progress not perfection!

Edited because I really need spell check! (haha)
  • ticred
    ticred Posts: 5
    Options
    If you are working out a lot, are you gaining muscle? Isn't muscle heavier than fat?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) One month isn't much time.
    2.) You ARE seeing progress
    3.) Weight loss isn't linear.
    4.) Don't give up
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    "What do I need to do?"

Keep going. Don't give up. Stop expecting short term results.
  • LittleMissYoYo
    LittleMissYoYo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat so I think you're losing fat but gaining muscle and that's a good thing! xxxx As long as you feel happy with your size that's all that matters, weigh means very little xx
  • Seabully
    Seabully Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a few have mentioned, it could be sodium and/or water retention. I had a cheat day, and I freaked out because I shot up about 6ish pounds. Completely water, and it's almost all gone. Just be careful with the high sodium. Eat lots of protein and drink lots of water. The people in these forums give awesome advice. :-)
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just took a look at your food diary and it's a little erratic. You didn't log on Saturday and Sunday and you have a lot of quick add calories so it's hard to say what you're actually eating...is there a lot of sodium in the foods you're eating? Are you logging absolutely everything? weighing everything?

How much you lose will be very dependent on how much you need to lose. For instance, I needed to lose 40lbs and it took me 7 months. The last 15 lbs took forever. On average I only lose 1/2 to 1 lbs a week. Stick with it and be very very consistent in logging and the weight will come off. The more pressure you put on yourself the more stressed out you'll get.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have to give yourself time.

For me, making it past the first month was the hardest. Log everything you eat and drink. If you do this and you have no existing health issues, you will succeed.

You can do this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. One could lose weight one week, do the same EXACT thing the next and gain. Why? Because there are still subtleties that we don't have control over such as water retention (most common), hormone regulation (stress) and metabolism.
    The key is to be consistent. One can have a bad day, a bad week or even a bad month, but if consistent, never a bad year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    "Keep swimming." Don't let one weigh in derail you. Be patient.:flowerforyou:
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Well, all the above posters. First off it has only been a month, just keep with it. And actually log your foods. Quick add calories are not always accurate. Yours seem to be estimates as well. Its ok to quick add here and there but you are doing it for everymeal almost. You need to log the actually foods so you can track your macros as well, and often times when we quick add we are way off.
  • FitForFunKanata
    FitForFunKanata Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. But what it is likely NOT is fat!!! So, try not to lose heart. Stick it out! This is a journey in life change, not a sprint.

Agreed! Don't lose hope.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You were hoping to lose 10 pounds a month? There's your problem right there. Of COURSE you're downhearted and disappointed with yourself, you are setting yourself up for failure by making your goals nigh unto unachievable.

Try making realistic goals for yourself. I's shoot for a pound a week, not much more than that. Going slow keeps your eating levels sustainable, and also reduces the chance of you ending up with loose skin after the weight is lost.

You didn't put on your extra weight in the space of 5 months, it's insane to think you should lose it that fast. BE NICE to yourself, and give your body time to respond to your new lifestyle. You'll get there, just be patient.