Nutritional Yeast

Options
I saw this on a cooking show, and was wondering if anyone has cooked with it? It seems to be an amazing replacement for so many different things. Says it has a cheesy, kinda nutty taste. And you can make mac and cheese, bread chicken, make 'grits', etc...

But first, I have no idea where to find it. I've never seen it before that I know of.

And is it really has good as they say, taste wise?

Replies

• cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can find nutritional yeast (or nooch!) at natural food stores like Whole Foods in the bulk section, or on amazon.

It's a staple in many vegan diets, because it provides much-needed B vitamins that non-dairy/non-meat diets lack. It's also a good source of protein. I'd say the flavor is definitely cheesy, but something you have to adjust to. Thinking about how nutrient dense it is definitely helps.. and then you start to love it. Think of it as it's own thing, and not as a replacement for cheese.

I'd use it as more of an added flavor punch to recipes, like Seitan, soups, batches of quinoa or to top salads. It's cheap, healthy and really delicious.. and you can start by checking out vegetarian blogs where you'd most likely to find all sorts of uses for it. One of my favorite snacks is popcorn dusted with nooch.

It's not expensive, so pick a bit up in the bulk dept @ WF... google it for uses, and enjoy :)
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    im with cactus.. love nooch.. its awesome i make cheesy black bean enchiladas. i put it in soups. on roasted chickpea popcorn, i use it with oats and walnuts to make a parm cheese to make veggie fries.. . love it!

i also agree you have to adjust expectations its not parm, but for plant based peeps its wonderful.. ohhh nutty cheesy kale chips.. uses are endless.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I use nooch quite frequently. I would say it has more of an "umami" flavor, not "cheesy".
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I hate it

so much hate
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I love it! But I'm weird that way. I like it on popcorn or rice.
    I don't eat enough protein or B12 vitamins in my normal diet because I'm vegetarian and rarely drink milk. I use nutritional yeast as a needed supplement to my diet. Really though, if you don't like it and you don't need to eat it, I don't think you'll be missing out on any amazing health benefits.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I buy it at Kroger in the organic food section. It's about $4 or $5 dollars and you'd use it like a sprinkle the way you would parmesan cheese. It does have a cheesy flavor, but there is a yeasty breath odor afterward, so be forewarned. Put it in the same "not a date night food item" as garlic. :wink:

I saw it used on the cooking show Cook Your *kitten* Off a few weeks ago. He tried to crust his chicken in it, but nutritional yeast isn't like a bread crumb so it didn't get crunchy like the chef was hoping. It's still really good, though and so cheap the bottle will last you for months.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I hate it

so much hate

It's kind of ok but I hate kale worse and I'm not a fussy eater at all.
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Good to hear it is not expensive! I have never had umani, no idea what that even is. I do want to try it, even my husband does and he loves his meat and cheese. I'll try and find a health food store near me, shouldn't be too hard. I live 30 minutes from a rather large city.

I want to try it for the nutrition, and to replace breaded chicken.

Is it gluten free? I've been told recently I may have a gluten intolerance.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued to try it but haven't managed to find any in real life shops yet. Keep meaning to order some online.
  • jayjay12345654321
    Options
    Good to hear it is not expensive! I have never had umani, no idea what that even is.

Is it gluten free? I've been told recently I may have a gluten intolerance.

Nobody knows what umami tastes like. That's the definition of the word. It's a flavor you can't depict but know "you like it." It's most commonly associated with MSG because the same receptors are activated, so whatever it is, people taste it differently and just know they want more, which is what MSG does - it makes you crave more of something you can't even identify. Crazy word. I never use it.

Yes, nutritional yeast is gluten free. It's a yeast, so there is no wheat in it.

Jester - check amazon or iHerb.com. I order lots of stuff from iHerb. Free shipping on orders over $20, so I usually get some flaxseed, chai cookies (really made of seed with chai seasonings) and The Mother as well to avoid shipping fees.
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is the best of popcorn toppings. I haven't really liked it when I tried it on other stuff though.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    nutritional yeast, oats walnuts.. make a good crumb for chicken.. i have used it with spices for eggplant fries.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Anyone from UK who's tried this - Does it taste like marmite? Tell me it does! Canada is so depressingly "marmite-free"... I'll run out to buy a truckload if the taste is the same. Marmite is made of yeast, I think...?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure I was going to like it, so I bought a small container at WF last week for around $6. They also have a 5 lb size and it's avaiable in the bulk bin. It's on Amazon too, but shipping is $$$.

So far I've only had it on popcorn. It's OK. I don't think I love it enough to want 5 lbs of it, though.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    NO. it t tastes nothing like like marmite.. thank god i hate it LOL. marmite you love or you hate.. there is no in between.. i love nooch.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Oh well... (curls up and wallows in self pity)

Thanks for telling me. Sniff. May be I'll try it anyway.

You're right - you either love or hate marmite... But you sure never forget it lol
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's a flavor that has for sure grown on me...I'm still not a fan of it as a cheese sauce, but if you make a cheese mixture with nooch and a potato, carrot, and onion it's pretty good...

I try to put it in everything for the B12, especially in my toddler's foods.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I often chuck some in veggie soups and stews. Adds a bit of flavour as well as some vitamins and extra protein.
  • jayjay12345654321
    Options
    Anyone from UK who's tried this - Does it taste like marmite? Tell me it does! Canada is so depressingly "marmite-free"... I'll run out to buy a truckload if the taste is the same. Marmite is made of yeast, I think...?

Can you not order marmite online and have it shipped to Canada? I know you can find lots of sellers on eBay that ship to Canada. I've seen it listed individually for $10 or 3 jars for $20.
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Adds a unique but pleasant taste to smoothies