Hysterectomy Friends :)

I will VERY likely be having a hysterectomy soon. I am 29 and I have adenomyosis with a lovely side of CIN II and CIN III results in May and again now. Just waiting on one more result and then scheduling a hysterectomy to hopefully put this all in the past! I am looking for some friends who have gone through similar things. I would love to have a few people I can talk to during recovery :) I am worried that recovery will be very difficult for me since I have found running to be the best therapy for depression and I won't be able to for a while. I'm also worried about weight gain. I'd love to hear your stories or be there for you if you're going through something similar! :)

Replies

• Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    You can friend me if you would like. I am 34, and had my hysterectomy when I was 23. Early stage cervical adenocarcinoma. Kept ovaries, healthy and happy today.

Recovery is hard, but not too bad if you take care of yourself. Don't worry, you probably won't want to run for a little while after. :flowerforyou: I was not a runner then, but am now, so I know the feeling. Best of luck with your upcoming tests and potential procedure!!
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you! I heard back from my doctor and the plan is to go in, be put under, have a final cone biopsy done and do a frozen section to do a final test for cancer. So long as that looks okay, they'll be doing the hysterectomy then. I should have a date by the end of the week.

I suspect you're right about not wanting to do much running right away ;)
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Had a hysterectomy last October. Left ovaries. Hysterectomy was done by Da Vinci robot. Easy peasy. Seriously. I have 3 tiny scars that you can barely see. I was up and around the next day. The only pain that I could have had was pain from the gas which builds in your back and shoulderblades. I had my husband constantly massage my back b/c I had read about that online, and as a result I had no pain. I could have gone back to work within a few days, but since I'd already taken the time off I stayed home.

Ask if you are a candidate for the da vinci. http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-gynecology/treatment-options/minimally-invasive-surgery/hysterectomy.php
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Wow, that sounds great. Mine was done TV, but I was still off of work for a month. Things must have changed in 11 years!
  • trishd6
    trishd6 Posts: 20
    Hysterectomy for adenomyosis when I was 28, now 32. First surgery only removed uterus, kept ovaries and cervix. One year later cervix was removed. No problems with anything since!

Mentally prepare yourself to not run for awhile, recovery can be tough. I was out of work for 3 weeks the first surgery and another 3 for the second surgery. I did not feel back to 100% like I could exercise for a good couple of months.

Good luck to you, here for the support if you need it!!
  • MissLakeTime
    MissLakeTime Posts: 59 Member
    Had a hysterectomy last October. Left ovaries. Hysterectomy was done by Da Vinci robot. Easy peasy. Seriously. I have 3 tiny scars that you can barely see. I was up and around the next day. The only pain that I could have had was pain from the gas which builds in your back and shoulderblades. I had my husband constantly massage my back b/c I had read about that online, and as a result I had no pain. I could have gone back to work within a few days, but since I'd already taken the time off I stayed home.

Ask if you are a candidate for the da vinci. http://www.davincisurgery.com/da-vinci-gynecology/treatment-options/minimally-invasive-surgery/hysterectomy.php

I also had a hysterectomy this October, 2014. They also left my ovaries and mine was done by DaVinci robot. I also have 3 tiny scars. I had my surgery Thursday, October 3rd and was back to work Monday, October 14th and honestly could have probably went to work before that if it wasn't for the gas pains. I had a large uterine fibroid that I could feel on the outside of my stomach and my uterus was the size of like a 5 month pregnancy. I did gain weight and I'm on here to lose it. You are welcome to friend me.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    I had one December 2012 and am 32. Recovery was not as bad as what I was anticipating! I was really only down for a couple days, but went easy for a couple weeks. However, it is different for everyone.
  • I too had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago using the DaVinci robot. Recovery as a breeze! Check out hystersisters.com for support and suggestions. Lots of good information on what to expect before, during, and after surgery. Good luck!
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you all so much! I have been able to talk to a few friends who have been through it and they said they were up and back to normal activities about two weeks (though their normal activities didn't include running ;)) My doctor told me to expect to take it easy for 6 weeks although she said a lot of people felt fine after 4. The more people I talk to, the better I feel about the whole thing :)
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Check out hystersisters.com for support and suggestions. Lots of good information on what to expect before, during, and after surgery.

This IS a great site. That's how I knew about the back pain.

Also, the deal with exercise is that even with the Da Vinci, your insides have to heal and running/exercise/heavy lifting and cause real problems with healing. So it's not that you won't FEEL like running, it's that you just have to wait until everything on the inside is good to go.