Post workout meal

Options
What is your post workout go-to meal? I know a few people who swear by chocolate milk, and some who drink those protein shakes that some gyms provide. I generally will do a workout that will burn anywhere between 200-550 calories, depending on how much time I have before work.

Replies

• pwmw1272
    pwmw1272 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I workout around 10am everyday for an hour. By the time I'm done it's close to lunch I will have a protein shake that I make myself at home (around 150 calories) and then eat lunch by 1230-1pm.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat after a workout...

I come home...eat...let food settle do my lifting or my HIIT depending on the day, done.

If I nosh it's whatever I feel like...if I have the calories left lately it's been toaster strudel...it's yummy

Otherwise it's breakfast the next morning.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning and have a protein shake without about a half hour afterwards. Mine usually will have some peanut butter and a banana to give me extra energy for the day.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually workout right when I get home (before dinner) so my post-workout meal is actually my dinner. However, if I workout some oddball time, I will usually have some plain greek non-fat yogurt with walnuts and fruit mixed in . Or another favorite is a slice of whole grain toast (I like Ezekiel sprouted grain with seeds) spread with some avocado and topped with a little smoked salmon.
  • simonsjo1
    simonsjo1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake, one piece of whole wheat bread, and an apple.
  • apercanis
    Options
    My post work out meal is never the same. Usually I eat something that has a good amount of protein like tuna.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It should be 2:1 Carb/Protein ratio whatever it is.
    I eat 2 RIPE bananas and a protein shake post workout.

Chocolate milk is generally 2:1 that is why it is a popular option.

I CrossFit 5x/week @ 5am. I go in fasted (carb load the night before), drink black coffee w/ coconut oil before but otherwise fasted and then my protein shake (30g Protein) and 2 bananas (60g Carbs)
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Usually just an apple and a ton of water. I do best on days when I work out while dinner's in the oven and I eat a bunch of protein right after. I feel satiated and really good energy wise when I eat dinner right after.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Umm I just eat dinner.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't eat to celebrate finishing a workout. Even a really hard one.

Well, there's beer. Is beer a meal?

Beer. My post workout meal is beer.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Carbs + protein - no fat.
    Fat takes longer to digest hence will slow down in the process your carbs and protein too.

I lift and i lift heavy and maximise my workout out with food - before and after.

I tend to have a shake (syntha 6 - decent proportion of carbs and protein) and when home usually potatoes and chicken.
    To make it less thick i mix the spuds with fat free yoghurt and hearbs / chilly.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

It is not eating to 'celebrate' a workout. It is to replenish your glycogen stores so your body doesn't steal it from your muscles.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you're serious or joking. The later part of your post probably is joking, but the first more likely serious. I don't remember writing anything about celebrating my workout. SMH
  • blackwing666
    Options
    What should I eat after doing hiit for fat loss.. Should I eat simple carbs like after my weight lifting training, or stay eating complex carbs
  • blackwing666
    Options
    Please give me advice