Problems with my legs towards the end of jog.

Options
When I used to jog I started jogging at night for 15-20 mins without any problems then to 45 mins and experienced a problem with my legs towards the end of the jog at around 43 mins, its hard to explain the feeling it is but it feels like I lose control of my legs, become uncoordinated, stiffness/heavy its really hard to explain but I thought it could be lactic acid but I wasn't feeling a burning sensation like they say you should feel so I dont know about that.

Replies

• revv123
    Options
    bump
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Are you taking in any electrolytes/gels/food during your run? I am seriously no expert at all, but I have run a few full marathons and if what you're feeling is similar to what I'm thinking - that tends to happen to me if I need electrolytes (sodium, typically, in my case). I eat 1-2 Clif Shot Bloks every 40-50 minutes during long runs (long for me is anything over 60 minutes). The margarita flavor has more sodium than the other flavors, and that always made me perk right up, and that heaviness/wobblyness (if that's even a word...) would dissipate quickly.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Are you taking in any electrolytes/gels/food during your run? I am seriously no expert at all, but I have run a few full marathons and if what you're feeling is similar to what I'm thinking - that tends to happen to me if I need electrolytes (sodium, typically, in my case). I eat 1-2 Clif Shot Bloks every 40-50 minutes during long runs (long for me is anything over 60 minutes). The margarita flavor has more sodium than the other flavors, and that always made me perk right up, and that heaviness/wobblyness (if that's even a word...) would dissipate quickly.
    You really shouldn't need anything for any run below around 90 minutes. The OP is only running at around 45 minutes so unless there is a medical problem it is unlikely to be that.

OP what is your level? How long have you been running? How often do you run and at what sort of pace do you run at? without that sort of information it will be difficult for anyone to offer any advice
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't need anything for any run below around 90 minutes. The OP is only running at around 45 minutes so unless there is a medical problem it is unlikely to be that.

OP what is your level? How long have you been running? How often do you run and at what sort of pace do you run at? without that sort of information it will be difficult for anyone to offer any advice

Well maybe you don't need to fuel during your run, but are you eating enough in general? If you're not fueling your body properly then maybe that's part of the problem. What's your calorie goal?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Did you build to 45 minutes or try to jump from 20 to 45 at once?
  • revv123
    Options

I don't know what you mean by what my level is, all of this was in the span of 2 months, I used to run every day and my pace was slow.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I used to jog I started jogging at night for 15-20 mins without any problems then to 45 mins and experienced a problem with my legs towards the end of the jog at around 43 mins, its hard to explain the feeling it is but it feels like I lose control of my legs, become uncoordinated, stiffness/heavy its really hard to explain but I thought it could be lactic acid but I wasn't feeling a burning sensation like they say you should feel so I dont know about that.

Not to state the obvious - but what part of your legs? The whole thing? Lower leg? Quads? Hamstrings?

Although people are making good guesses with an electrolyte imbalance, there COULD be a lot more going on here.... Just saying
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds like 'restless leg syndrome'. Google :)

Actually ignore that, I misread and thought you were getting symptoms after your run not during.
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try mixing half apple juice and half water and drink this on your runs. I find the sugar in the juice gives me that little extra bit of energy I need to keep on going. I think you are just exhausted at the end, I used to feel like that sometimes too. Also try running more frequently, that should build up your stamina. Good luck!
  • tunarunner
    tunarunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Not to state the obvious - but what part of your legs? The whole thing? Lower leg? Quads? Hamstrings?

Although people are making good guesses with an electrolyte imbalance, there COULD be a lot more going on here.... Just saying

I don't mean to be ENTIRELY dismissive here, but that kind of thing happens. A lot. Almost every run I've ever had (which is a lot, considering about 10 years of cross country) will end in this way. It really just takes time for your body to adjust. Mostly, this would happen when I was increasing my mileage too quickly or at the end of a very long run. You sound like you've been increasing at a good rate, but everyone's body is different and it may be too quickly for what your body prefers.

OP, try to dial back your mileage/time and stick there for a week or two. THEN progress further as you feel comfortable. Remember, running is pretty harsh on the body and some mild discomfort is to be expected. Keep up the good work!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tunarunner is dead on. Other factor i'd be curious about is diet, but, at most you're doing what, 4.5 miles? you should be able to handle that just fine diet wise without any changes from what would be considered normal.
  • revv123
    Options
    I built to 45 minutes

I think its my calves

and I remember the problem coming back at around 30 minutes and then I stopped jogging I just got so discouraged
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Stopping isn't going to fix it. Running more will if it's a fitness issue, eating differently will if it's a diet issue.
  • bitten2better
    bitten2better Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I built to 45 minutes

I think its my calves

and I remember the problem coming back at around 30 minutes and then I stopped jogging I just got so discouraged

This was why I asked.. I had similar symptoms that people tried to throw the book at me to worry about electrolytes and nothing else. But, I'm stubborn and didn't listen to them. I had a much more serious issue that required surgical intervention. So by all means, take fitness progression and diet into consideration, but don't be scared to consult a physician (preferably someone in orthopedics or sports medicine) if simple fixes don't work.