Didn't loose weight this week, but WHY?

Options
From last tuesday (145.8) to Friday, I lost 5 lbs (140.8. Then on Monday I was down a additional lb (139.8) (6 lbs total) Now, this morning I weighed myself and It said I went up a lb (140.8) WHY?

This is what I do. I drink herbalife shakes, for breakfast and dinner, I have a regular lunch (usually soup, salad or tuna), and two snacks a day, sometimes 3, after I do my Jillian 30 day shred workout. That last snack is after 9 pm though. I drink 5 cups of water at least/day. I think I should drink more water.

I"m thinking I MAY be losing inches, I can notice a difference in my waist, but IDK if it's just in my head. I've done the herbalife shakes before and the lbs fell off quick! I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months. I was bigger though. I went from 162 to 130.

ANy idea why I didn't lose this week? Oh, and I did have a cheese burger on wednesday could that be why I gained back a lb?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1 week really isn't enough time to assess whether or not you're doing something wrong. You are going to have up weeks and down weeks for any number of reasons. Write it off unless it becomes a trend.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and everyone has day to day fluctuations owing to changes in water weight.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A cheeseburger isn't going to make you gain a lb. Indulging once in a while keeps us sane, so don't worry to much about it. :smile: To me is sounds like you might not be eating too much; maybe your body lost in the first week or two but could be in starvation mode now? Or, it could just be normal fluctuation. I agree that a 1 lb weight gain can be discouraging, but it could have just been food that is still waiting to be digested, maybe you drank more water that day, maybe you haven't had a bowl movement recently, maybe you gained a lb of muscle... It could be a number of things other than fat so don't focus too much on it. Watching what you eat and doing the 30 Day Shred WILL get you those lbs you want, just remember to be patient :flowerforyou:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    , maybe you gained a lb of muscle...

It wasn't this - it takes a female about a month of eating in a calorie surplus along with ideal training conditions to gain 1lb of muscle. Just to clear that up.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Kducky, sorry if it's TMI but I just realized that in fact, I have not had a bowel movement in days!
    Thanks for the motivation!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear your metabolism doesn't have access to Google calender (other online calenders are available) so it doesn't know one week from the next. Patience
  • Elite4LifeDono
    Options
    Lose*
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

It wasn't this - it takes a female about a month of eating in a calorie surplus along with ideal training conditions to gain 1lb of muscle. Just to clear that up.

There is just no way that this is true... you don't need a calorie surplus to gain muscle (maybe if you are looking to bulk up). If you are working out more than you normally do, you will gain muscle regardless of calorie deficit/surplus.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    I still have not seen a difference in weight loss. But, I do see a difference in my body. I guess the 30 day shred is helping me, but i wish the lbs were coming off since I'm still 20 lbs over weight!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

There is just no way that this is true... you don't need a calorie surplus to gain muscle (maybe if you are looking to bulk up). If you are working out more than you normally do, you will gain muscle regardless of calorie deficit/surplus.

Whether you believe it or not, it is true. Gaining muscle and bulking is the same thing.

I think where you might be getting confused is that one CAN gain strength and endurance through working out and if they lose fat, they will see more muscle definintion. This is not the same thing as gaining muscle.

The actual stall or increases one sees when they start a new workout program or increase the intensity of their workout program is water and glycogen storage, which is part of the natural healing process. It's sort of like when you twist your ankle and it swells only less obvious to the naked eye as it's spread out over a larger area.
  • SaraLady89
    SaraLady89 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I decided to start weighing myself daily because I once saw this cool post on here of a woman who did it daily then posted a picture of her weight loss chart. It went up and down but over a couple of months you could see her general weight going down even if you couldn't see it from day to day. Since I started doing it here are my weight measurements.

1/21 140.6
    1/22 140.6
    1/23 142.4
    1/24 141.6
    1/25 141.6
    1/26 140.8
    1/27 141.8
    1/28 142.2

I'm just trying to say you are going to see normal weight flucuations it coul be from having too much sodium or it being because you worked out hard the day before, so don't worry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wight loss is not linear..you will lose some weeks, break even other,s and maybe gain a little other times..the reasons are multiple - water retention, how much you pooped/peed, sodium intake, overrate one day and are bloated, regular bloat, etc, etc..

This is probably one reason that you should just weight yourself once a week at the same time …weight every day can get depressing for some people.

and why are you wasting your money on herbalife? Just eat real food, stay in deficit, hit macros, and work out/move more….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    A cheeseburger isn't going to make you gain a lb. Indulging once in a while keeps us sane, so don't worry to much about it. :smile: To me is sounds like you might not be eating too much; maybe your body lost in the first week or two but could be in starvation mode now? Or, it could just be normal fluctuation. I agree that a 1 lb weight gain can be discouraging, but it could have just been food that is still waiting to be digested, maybe you drank more water that day, maybe you haven't had a bowl movement recently, maybe you gained a lb of muscle... It could be a number of things other than fat so don't focus too much on it. Watching what you eat and doing the 30 Day Shred WILL get you those lbs you want, just remember to be patient :flowerforyou:

so OP is in starvation mode and gained a pound of muscle???? Wow…first it is not starvation mode; second, you can't gain a pound of muscle while eating in a calorie deficit, and based on fact that OP is using meal replacement for breakfast and dinner, and only eating real food for lunch, trust me, she is not gaining muscle...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Kducky, sorry if it's TMI but I just realized that in fact, I have not had a bowel movement in days!
    Thanks for the motivation!

Fiber is the answer
  • ndj1979
    Options

what, did you really just say that? You need excess energy to build mew muscle and the only way to have said excess muscle is to eat in a calorie surplus. Hello, bulking up is gaining muscle..if you are building new muscle you need a surplus, period.

Please go read up on this and stop posting a bunch of myth/bro science as fact that other people will take as fact...
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

what, did you really just say that? You need excess energy to build mew muscle and the only way to have said excess muscle is to eat in a calorie surplus. Hello, bulking up is gaining muscle..if you are building new muscle you need a surplus, period.

Please go read up on this and stop posting a bunch of myth/bro science as fact that other people will take as fact...

^This. Zomg. I WISH building muscle was that simple. Now strength! I've spent 7 months retaining muscle I've already had and gaining strength but that is not the same as building muscle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all the people who will tell you you're building muscle, it's not possible if eating at a deficit.

I only lose weight 2 weeks out of 5, typically... I have 2-3 weeks stalls every month.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    wight loss is not linear..you will lose some weeks, break even other,s and maybe gain a little other times..the reasons are multiple - water retention, how much you pooped/peed, sodium intake, overrate one day and are bloated, regular bloat, etc, etc..

This is probably one reason that you should just weight yourself once a week at the same time …weight every day can get depressing for some people.

and why are you wasting your money on herbalife? Just eat real food, stay in deficit, hit macros, and work out/move more….

I've done herbalife before and I love the shakes, they help me with other things other than weight loss, Like I said, I've lost 30 lbs before within 3 months. That's one reason. The other, is because they are VERY convenient for me. I have no clue what you mean by macros, and that calorie deficit stuff. Once I reach my goal weight, I will stop them I guess. For me it's better to eat "real food" once I have reached my goal and am just trying to maintain the weight, rather than trying to loose weight.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and everyone has day to day fluctuations owing to changes in water weight.
    ^^^^ THIS!!!!
    Don't get disheartened, you're in this for the long haul, it's a rollercoaster ride but by god it's good fun when you get there!
  • Rsharpe99
    Rsharpe99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to not believe in that whole "starvation" thing. However, after dropping more than 2 lbs a week for three weeks, I really stepped it up 2 weeks ago and had my most disciplined week ever -- food wise-- and took in very, very few calories while maintaining exercise regime. The result of that hard week of going to bed hungry every night was that I lost 0 lbs. So, last week I decided not to torture myself and up my calories a little bit. The result, and quickly, was a loss of 1.2 lbs in just 3 days.

Short story long: I starved myself and did not lose weight. Then I started feeding myself and my weight began dropping again.