Didn't loose weight this week, but WHY?

Options

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Also I saw something the other day about the 5lb rule, not sure how much is in it...
    but always look to lose 5lb below your goal weight so it will come up to your goal weight. Something about the body storing stuff. Can anyone add to this? Not sure where I saw it now and was wondering if there was anything in it?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    wight loss is not linear..you will lose some weeks, break even other,s and maybe gain a little other times..the reasons are multiple - water retention, how much you pooped/peed, sodium intake, overrate one day and are bloated, regular bloat, etc, etc..

This is probably one reason that you should just weight yourself once a week at the same time …weight every day can get depressing for some people.

and why are you wasting your money on herbalife? Just eat real food, stay in deficit, hit macros, and work out/move more….

I've done herbalife before and I love the shakes, they help me with other things other than weight loss, Like I said, I've lost 30 lbs before within 3 months. That's one reason. The other, is because they are VERY convenient for me. I have no clue what you mean by macros, and that calorie deficit stuff. Once I reach my goal weight, I will stop them I guess. For me it's better to eat "real food" once I have reached my goal and am just trying to maintain the weight, rather than trying to loose weight.

So...to summarize...you did herbalife before, lost 30 lbs. Didn't learn what truly happened while taking herbalife and how it created a calorie defict. Went back to eating normally, because after all you don't want to drink herbalife for the rest of your life everyday for breakfast and lunch, gained back the weight because you didn't learn how to properly balance out your diet and macros (which are carbs/fat/proteins)...then decided to do it all over again?

Wouldn't it be easier to eat "real food" while reaching your goal so you know how to shift into maintaining when you get there so you don't end up doing this again a third time?
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I do get what everyone is saying, and I appreciate the responses. I know everyone is different, and what might work for some, might not work for others. I guess, the reason why I'm so thrown off by not losing weight, is because like I've mentioned before, I have done the same diet before (minus the 30 day shred workout every night), instead I was doing zumba a couple days/week and I lost so much weight quick. So that's why I thought "hey, i'll do it again, and I'll loose these 20 lbs in no time". Also, I did think eating less is better, but I guess I'm wrong!
  • fitphoenix22
    Options
    I can guarantee you didn't lose 6 pounds of fat in one week... you're losing water weight (most likely from cutting out processed foods and carbs). Once your body levels out after the first few weeks, you shouldn't expect losses like that. It's not a race. There will be days the scale goes down and other days the scale goes up - as long as it's trending downwards, you should relax and keep at it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Because weight loss isn't linear. It goes in fits and starts.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    wight loss is not linear..you will lose some weeks, break even other,s and maybe gain a little other times..the reasons are multiple - water retention, how much you pooped/peed, sodium intake, overrate one day and are bloated, regular bloat, etc, etc..

This is probably one reason that you should just weight yourself once a week at the same time …weight every day can get depressing for some people.

and why are you wasting your money on herbalife? Just eat real food, stay in deficit, hit macros, and work out/move more….

I've done herbalife before and I love the shakes, they help me with other things other than weight loss, Like I said, I've lost 30 lbs before within 3 months. That's one reason. The other, is because they are VERY convenient for me. I have no clue what you mean by macros, and that calorie deficit stuff. Once I reach my goal weight, I will stop them I guess. For me it's better to eat "real food" once I have reached my goal and am just trying to maintain the weight, rather than trying to loose weight.

So...to summarize...you did herbalife before, lost 30 lbs. Didn't learn what truly happened while taking herbalife and how it created a calorie defict. Went back to eating normally, because after all you don't want to drink herbalife for the rest of your life everyday for breakfast and lunch, gained back the weight because you didn't learn how to properly balance out your diet and macros (which are carbs/fat/proteins)...then decided to do it all over again?

Wouldn't it be easier to eat "real food" while reaching your goal so you know how to shift into maintaining when you get there so you don't end up doing this again a third time?

Actually, I drank the shakes from Jan 2012 to May 2012 then became pregnant and I stopped drinking the shakes. I did what I could doing my pregnancy and ate pretty good to not gain too much weight, inevitably I gained 40 lbs during my pregnancy. I had my baby Feb 2013, and from then til now I've lost 30 lbs, mostly from watching what I eat and drinking the shakes here and there. I understand what you are saying, but since I know the shakes do work, I wanted to drink them again. And to answer your last question, I would LOVE to learn how to eat real food, but I don't even know where to start!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's just one week- don't panic until nothing has happened for 3 weeks, then tweak your program after that. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You will have ups and downs. Just stay consistent with your calorie deficit and exercise and you'll see results.
  • erinbartholomew5
    erinbartholomew5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too, and it's annoying, but don't worry. You only gained .2 pounds. It sounds like you may have made a lot of tiny food decisions during the week that added up, or did something that was off-schedule. I doubt you will stop loosing weight, and weight lose really does change in speed. Also, although the cheeseburger probably didn't add that much weight, it can be helpful to minimize the damage by not eating both halves of the bun and not ordering fries.
  • brad2021hk
    Options
    I can guarantee you didn't lose 6 pounds of fat in one week... you're losing water weight (most likely from cutting out processed foods and carbs). Once your body levels out after the first few weeks, you shouldn't expect losses like that. It's not a race. There will be days the scale goes down and other days the scale goes up - as long as it's trending downwards, you should relax and keep at it.

Yeah seriously. Just do the thought experiment. If you assume a pound of weight loss takes a 3500 calorie deficit, that's a 3000cal/day deficit for a week to lose 6 pounds. If you eat nothing and exercise for an additional 1000 calories...basically 1.5 to 2 hours of high intensity exercise for 7 whole days you could do the work to lose 6 pounds.

It's astounding how much energy is stored in a pound of fat and how efficient the body is at using it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I promise I am not trying to be mean ….but if you did herbalife before, lost thirty pounds, gained it back, and now are on herbalife AGAIN, don't you think that you might want to try and do it differently this time, so that you do not end up losing the same weight and gaming it back?

A calorie deficit is simply where you create an energy deficit to lose weight. MFP does this for you if you just enter your stats into it it will give you a daily calorie goal to lose, say, one pound a week. Then, if you do any exercise you log that exercise and eat back your exercise calories so that you "net" the number that MFP gives you.

Example - you have to eat 1500 calorie a day to lose 1pd per week. You go for a run and burn 300 cals..you then eat 1800 - 300 burned = 1500 netted..

As far as macros this is the percent of your calories that come from protein, fat, and carbs. A pretty standard setting is 40P/30C/30F, you can adjust these in MFP settings.

I would then say that you should eat 80% healthy and 20% whatever it is you want = beer, pizza,ice cream,etc….

If you do this you can lose 30 pounds, or more, and keep it off for the long term….
  • liddienicole
    liddienicole Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was kind of in the same situation as you and I know how you feel! The first week, I lost about 3 pounds. Then, the next week I put on nearly a pound. It really demotivated me, but I carried on coz I knew it was just fluctuations. I used this app in the summer and was losing weight really well on it, so I know it works and I know I'm counting calories correctly! Every day for the past couple of weeks I've been the same weight, no change at all. Then suddenly, this morning I've lost nearly a pound, and it's not even my weigh in day for a few days yet. Some weeks you might not lose weight and then other weeks you might lose more than you'd expect. Weight loss is not linear, but look at your weight loss report graph and it should show a steady decrease, despite all the constant fluctuations you might see! Just try and not let it bother you - maybe weigh yourself less often so you don't get put off. Good luck!:)
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options

I promise I am not trying to be mean ….but if you did herbalife before, lost thirty pounds, gained it back, and now are on herbalife AGAIN, don't you think that you might want to try and do it differently this time, so that you do not end up losing the same weight and gaming it back?

A calorie deficit is simply where you create an energy deficit to lose weight. MFP does this for you if you just enter your stats into it it will give you a daily calorie goal to lose, say, one pound a week. Then, if you do any exercise you log that exercise and eat back your exercise calories so that you "net" the number that MFP gives you.

Example - you have to eat 1500 calorie a day to lose 1pd per week. You go for a run and burn 300 cals..you then eat 1800 - 300 burned = 1500 netted..

As far as macros this is the percent of your calories that come from protein, fat, and carbs. A pretty standard setting is 40P/30C/30F, you can adjust these in MFP settings.

I would then say that you should eat 80% healthy and 20% whatever it is you want = beer, pizza,ice cream,etc….

If you do this you can lose 30 pounds, or more, and keep it off for the long term….

I gained it back because I got pregnant and gained 40 lbs throughout my pregnancy. I've lost 30 lbs from that, but I'm still 20 lbs from my goal weight. Trust me there is no way I would let my self go for nothing!! Wether I lost it with the shakes or with real food, it was hard!!! Yes, I replace 2 meals with the shaked, but I still have that one meal plus 2 or 3 healthy snacks, and workout., it's not that easy as people think! And thank you for the info, I don't think you are being mean. Like I said, I would love to learn how to eat and enjoy real food. I do plan to do that eventually!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    To know where to start, read the information for newcomers to this site. There is a lot of great information there. I don't have the link handy but there is a forum called your guide to fitting into sexy pants. Read that and all the links that are in it.

Google how to read food labels or go to the food pyramid site. Educate yourself, there is tons of information out there, both good and bad.

There are no bad foods. Spend your money on a nutrition class instead of shakes that you admittedly have not succeeded long term on. You need to find something you can maintain for the rest of your life.

Also, take measurements. You may not always see a drop on the scale but will see a drop in inches, especially with 30DS.
  • stayfocus3d
    stayfocus3d Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    don't worry too much on that scale, go more of how your clothes is fitting and check your inches. just keep pushing through with your health. this is not a race, it's a health journey. one day at a time. i believe you are not eating enough. also you want to lose weight start lifting weights. so not only will you lose but tone up at the same time. enjoy your journey don't stress yourself over it. hugs.

when i first started
    lunapic_134033088624526_2.jpg[/URL]

and me still working on my health journey

]1551539_10153634068345403_750925984_n_zps4b7ee27d.jpg[/URL]
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    don't worry too much on that scale, go more of how your clothes is fitting and check your inches. just keep pushing through with your health. this is not a race, it's a health journey. one day at a time. i believe you are not eating enough. also you want to lose weight start lifting weights. so not only will you lose but tone up at the same time. enjoy your journey don't stress yourself over it. hugs.

when i first started
    lunapic_134033088624526_2.jpg[/URL]

and me still working on my health journey

]1551539_10153634068345403_750925984_n_zps4b7ee27d.jpg[/URL]

Thats awesome!! You look good!! Thanks for the motivation!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I gained 3lbs since last week.

Not really. Weight loss isn't linear.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BusyRaeNOTBusty/view/weight-loss-slow-and-non-linear-621716
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Doing 2 shakes per day is hardly sustainable. It's not the complete answer. It could be that you need to bump up your cal intake now, especially if you're building muscle.
  • jennkess
    Options
    I do get what everyone is saying, and I appreciate the responses. I know everyone is different, and what might work for some, might not work for others. I guess, the reason why I'm so thrown off by not losing weight, is because like I've mentioned before, I have done the same diet before (minus the 30 day shred workout every night), instead I was doing zumba a couple days/week and I lost so much weight quick. So that's why I thought "hey, i'll do it again, and I'll loose these 20 lbs in no time". Also, I did think eating less is better, but I guess I'm wrong!

you kind of have your answer right there, last time you lost weight.... this time you are doing the 30ds. your body needs fuel (food) to keep it going. if you are doing the 30ds and you are at the same caloric intake as previous you will not loose. your body will keep everything you put in to keep fueled.

I'd suggest find your TDEE and your RMR. a good site is Fitness frog. or the scooby's workshop site

RMR resting metabolic rate you don't ever want to go below. it is what your body needs to keep breathing. start to move around and your body will need more.

and maybe hide your scale. pounds flucuate daily and within the day especially for women as depending on our cycle what we weigh. I am attempting to only weigh in every 4 weeks on Monday morning. it is super hard, but i don't want the number I see to sway me from my decision to get healthy
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options

you kind of have your answer right there, last time you lost weight.... this time you are doing the 30ds. your body needs fuel (food) to keep it going. if you are doing the 30ds and you are at the same caloric intake as previous you will not loose. your body will keep everything you put in to keep fueled.

I'd suggest find your TDEE and your RMR. a good site is Fitness frog. or the scooby's workshop site

RMR resting metabolic rate you don't ever want to go below. it is what your body needs to keep breathing. start to move around and your body will need more.

and maybe hide your scale. pounds flucuate daily and within the day especially for women as depending on our cycle what we weigh. I am attempting to only weigh in every 4 weeks on Monday morning. it is super hard, but i don't want the number I see to sway me from my decision to get healthy

I should do that, thanks for the websites.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I gained it back because I got pregnant and gained 40 lbs throughout my pregnancy. I've lost 30 lbs from that, but I'm still 20 lbs from my goal weight. Trust me there is no way I would let my self go for nothing!! Wether I lost it with the shakes or with real food, it was hard!!! Yes, I replace 2 meals with the shaked, but I still have that one meal plus 2 or 3 healthy snacks, and workout., it's not that easy as people think! And thank you for the info, I don't think you are being mean. Like I said, I would love to learn how to eat and enjoy real food. I do plan to do that eventually!

Hello doll! First of all, there is no need to defend your use of Herbal Life, we are all bombarded with earfuls of sales tactics and magic beans for weight loss and it's hard not to fall for the propaganda because it's often less hassle then trying to decide what to have for breakfast. But here is the truth, you said you'd love to learn how to eat normal? Well guess what.. there is nothing to learn!!

Now that you know, here's how to start. USE MFP. That's it. Eat anything you want, and track it with MFP.. to calculate how to lose weight? Just like everyone else said, use the online tools out there. Once you have that number, then build your MFP diary around it and voila, you'll lose weight.... no diet shakes required. And the best part is? There is nothing you have to ween yourself off of when you've reached you goals. No regain... and no "relearning how to eat". If you just do this right in the first place? You results will be long term. But I can almost guarantee you that if you use shakes to meet your diet goals you WILL gain it back, and most often more then where you started.

You don't have to listen to any of us, but I hope you do... I'd love to see you succeed.