Protein & Carbs vs. calories

Options
So I just started this program last week and it seems like every day I am under my calorie and fat goal but always slightly above my protein or carb goals for the day (usually 2-5). So my question is will I still end up losing the same amount of weight if my protein or carbs are slightly higer than goal?

Replies

• jasonweinberg
    Options
    imho being over your protein goal is good but for weightloss you definitely want to beat your carb goal. of course, mfp agrees and that is why they set your carb goal fairly low, as is your sugar goal. its okay/good to go over your fiber goal, tooo.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    55% carbs is low?
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    50% - 60% carbs is a good rule of thumb. Calorie intake is #1 priority, but it does give you better results when you are able to balance your macronutrients.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    55% carbs is low?

to tell you the truth i manually set my goals and am on a 1000 calorie a day level at 45% carbs so my goal is fairly low. i suppose if you use their guided goals it probably is quite a bit higher but i kind of assumed when the poster said they were having trouble meeting theirs their goal was low. i know if i have more than two slices of bread per day i am in trouble for carbs...
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The thing about MFP is that is gives you carbs, protein, and fat based on a set percentage instead of a range of percentages like the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range that the Institute of Medicine recommends. The actual AMDR for Carbs is 45-65%, protein is 10-35%, and fat is 20-35%. As long as you are in those ranges you should still be fine. That being said, some people have to adjust their macronutrient distribution for various medical conditions. Diabetics should be closer to the low end on carbs, people with kidney issues should be closer to the low end on protein, and people with a cancer history should be below the zone on fat. Other then that, play with the zones to see what works best for you because everyone's body responds slightly differently.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    bool. i've got mine set for 45%, 25%, 30%. usually always under on carbs and fat and over on protein...
  • GrandmaCarolyn
    Options
    I set mine at 45% carb, ,25 protein and 30 fat, too on the advice of my registered dietition.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I found the MFP standard values to be too weird so I initially set mine to:

Carbs: 50%
    Protein: 25%
    Fat: 25%

With the standard values, especially the protein and fiber are set way too low so I mainly worried about adequate protein intake when coming up with those values on 1400 Kcal/day diet. Now I'm doing 1800 Kcal/day and get about 800 exercise Calories on average exercise day so I guess it's time to transfer some of those Calories from protein to carbs..