question for the ladiessssssssss lol

Options
any hints and tips for preventing bloating/water retention and feeling like a beached whale when on your period?
lol
thanks xx

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It seems counter-intuitive, but I've found that the more water I drink, the less bloated I feel. Midol also helps too.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    For me, keeping a tight leash on sodium levels before helped. Plus more water and raw mushrooms. Used to retain a lot and now it is barely noticeable.
  • blueelephant1212
    blueelephant1212 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    raw mushrooms??? how does that work?
  • karisamh
    karisamh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same as the other two gals - drinking lots of water and no sodium works really well!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Lots of Water, no sodium and lay off the chocolate as well. LOL! We are just no fun! I just know the beached whale effect was there anytime I had sugar too. Thank heavens it doesn't last forever....sigh... :o)
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I hear walking reduces that feeling and helps with cramps...
  • momtodeshawn
    momtodeshawn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've only been using MFP for a month now, but last month when my period showed, it was the easiest period I've had in a long time. I think drinking lots of water (I don't drink 8 glasses a day, but I drink more than I used to) and a little exercise actually helped a lot. I didn't overdo the exercise, just 20 minutes on the elliptical, but it was enough to reduce bloating and cramps. I honestly didn't have any cravings either. We'll see how it goes this time around....I'm due again next week.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    According to Dr. Oz he said taking 200 mg of magnesium a day can really help with fluid retention. The pharmacist says that it's mild, and it will not hurt you at all. It really helps me. (I found 250 mg bottles at Dillons) I take it every morning with my breakfast, and I do not feel bloated anymore. I also lost a few extra pounds the first week I took it.

Here is the link to that part of the episode: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/6-health-plagues-women-pt-2

Also, I agree with most of what everyone else said about drinking plenty of water and don't go overboard on the salt. Get a salt substitute or use Mrs. Dash seasonings. Morton lite salt is good, too.

Hope this helps!
  • nygal87
    Options
    same for me as others have said, less sodium, lots of water and midol.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For me lots of water and midol
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For me lots of water and midol
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've tried drowning myself with glasses of water and cutting back on salt during that time and I still gain 4-9 lbs each time! Cardio workouts seem to make a difference with me, as they keep the muscles loose, as well as drinking lots of coffee. The weight gain happens, but it doesn't feel as bad. I'll do anything to keep that horrible Jabba the Hutt feeling at bay!
  • kirra_80
    Options
    bananas work good along with lots of water and exercise
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    this month was the first in my life that i didn't gain a few pounds.
    the only thing i did differently was to workout even when i felt like crap and was really good about eating a lot of snacks and also upped my calories a little bit because i was starving!
    I think the combo of eating every few hours, and cardio really did it. I do drink a good amount water but didn't increase it at all.
    good luck