Need advise ...

Options
Been faithfully following a 1200 calorie diet, with cardio at least 5 times per week and free weight machines 3 times per week, and the scale hasn't moved in close to 7 days. Feeling frustrated and almost ready to say the hell with it.

I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 164.5 (started at 173.5).

Please look at my diary and let me know where I'm going wrong.

Thank you!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    7 whole days?

You need a wee bit more patience.
  • jv0898
    jv0898 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I misspoke...I started on January 1 and have lost 9 pounds, and the scale hasn't moved in the last 7 days.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I misspoke...I started on January 1 and have lost 9 pounds, and the scale hasn't moved in the last 7 days.

melaniecheeks's advice still applies. Dieting is not linear - some weeks you will lose, some you will stay the same, some you will gain. It's something you'll have to learn early if you want to stop yourself getting discouraged.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

still need patience.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've lost 9 pounds in 4 weeks- that's great! Keep on doing what you're doing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Patience is a good answer :). The first thing you want to do is make sure you are measuring your food, preferably with a scale, and consistently logging everything. You also want to make sure you are not overestimating your calorie burn.

If all this is correct, you are not eating enough. I checked your diary, and you are not following a 1200 calorie a day diet. You are often below 1000. You should be eating a portion of your exercise calories back and trying to net 1200.
  • jennkess
    Options
    9lbs is awesome!!

i glanced at your diet, and if you are logging everything you are not eating enough. while you want to watch what you eat to loose, you also need to keep your body fueled.

your body needs a certain amount of calories for basic function, breathing, liver, kidney, heart. and the magic # is not 1200. that is the number for some people yes. however everyone is different and your current age and weight are factored into what your body needs.

i'd suggest finding your RMR resting metabolic rate this is the amount your body needs if in a coma... start moving around and your body will need more.

scooby workshop and fitness frog are both sites that have calculators. read a little. hit a goal and keep it for at least a month, if you still are not seeing results , adjust the goal. but don't adjust every few days your body will not have time to know what the hell is going on.

I am female 5'3 190lbs. i calculated my RMR and my TDEE and went in the middle with a daily goal of 1800 calories. i am averaging just under a pound a week. which isn't alot, however in a year I will be almost 50lbs lighter. and as i go down i re-calculate and i will adjust. slow and steady really does win the race, especially if you want to keep it off.

good luck and keep at it!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I started in late December, lost 10 pounds in a little over 2 weeks, and then nothing for another 2. Stick it out! The scale will move again. And a 9 pound loss in your first month is fantastic!
  • befitnow3
    befitnow3 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Been faithfully following a 1200 calorie diet, with cardio at least 5 times per week and free weight machines 3 times per week, and the scale hasn't moved in close to 7 days. Feeling frustrated and almost ready to say the hell with it.

I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 164.5 (started at 173.5).

Please look at my diary and let me know where I'm going wrong.

Thank you!
    Too much cardio. Too much stress. Do some yoga and relax a bit. We didn't gain the weight in a month and we're not gonna lose it in a month!! Have a look at this-
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-10114/8-reasons-why-youre-not-losing-weight.html
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stay positive! There is great advice on MFP! You are doing great.
  • aimeepro55
    aimeepro55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi JV. I have just started but I'm reading everything I can on nutrtition to try and learn how our bodies work. I reviewed your food diary and these are a couple of things that come to mind. I don't know how busy your days are so you might have to plan but I think you need more natural foods. Try to get the most bang from your calories. I think I would skip the string cheese and those chocolate cake cookie things. I didn't see an good oil (fat) in your diary but I may have missed that. See http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fatty-acids.aspx
    Consider that you may be building muscle and you also may be exoperiencing a 'plateau'. You seem to be very dedicated so keep it going! You will succeed!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Could be a plateau, could be retaining water, could be a number of things. Don't get too frustrated with just one week of no loss. You'll get there! Plus, you're not super overweight, and sometimes it takes longer to lose the pounds when you only have a few to lose. You can do this!
  • jv0898
    jv0898 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel I am very dedicated, that's why I'm so frustrated.

Thanks all!