Options
Hey looking for some advise. I'm training for a 30k race, and my schedule is
Sunday- easy run
Tuesday- speed work
Wednesday - cross train
Thursday - hill work
Friday -off
Saturday - long run

Now I'm having a hard time since starting the hill work, the workout is fine as are my legs on Friday. But the first 4k of my long run I get brutal shin splint type pain & general calve muscle pain. It goes away, but I'm worried that its going to progress into real shin splints.

Advise?

Thanks

Replies

• ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bumping? Hoping for some help
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is the shin pain on the inner half or outer half of your shins? That gives a clue as to the cause.

Does the shin & calf pain happen when going uphill, downhill, or both?

What does your "cross train" consist of?
  • libbycopeland
    Options
    i do XC and track and my coach recommends to just squish the shin which means push as hard as you can directly on the shin for 30-60 seconds and that should help ALOT! also ice it!:)
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    I have suffered with shin splints all the way back to Parris Island 29 years ago. Last year I finally found something that helped. I read shin splints are sometimes caused by tight calves. It said to put your toes up on a wall or step, heal on the ground and stretch your calves good before and after running. It has been amazing in my level of pain. I still get them if I run on concrete to often but this really worked for me.

Good luck,
    Doug
  • jscheuf
    jscheuf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon and feel like I start to get shin splints also. My husband is a big runner and says to be sure to really stretch your legs after a work out. That has seemed to help me, along with icing them.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've read quite a bit that this can be from the wrong shoes. Suggestions have been to find a good running shoe store (a local, not a national chain) and have them do a gait analysis and recommend some shoes. Looking on Yelp, I found multiple shoe stores with raving reviews about cured shin splints.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If it's only on the first part of your Saturday run ... I doubt it's shin splints as those would hurt other times as well. If it's the calf itself (back side) I would guess it's just delayed muscle tightness from the hill workout. Without knowing your stretching, massage, cool down, warm up programs it's impossible to tell.

If it is calf tightness after the run, a change in your cool down and post hill stretch could help as could a Strasbourg sock.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Amazing thanks for the replies -

I have properly fitted shoes
    X training is usually bike or swim
    pain is around the entire calf with more pain being up/down the front

Admitedly stretching is not my strong suit - usually aim for 15 minutes, but it's more focused on hips/back quads/hams than calf muscles
  • naters_0823
    naters_0823 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with Shin Splints/Calf pain at times as well. Read about foam rolling to help with splints and loosening up tight calves. I bought a grid roller and it is WONDERFUL! When stretching, I incorporate the roller in for my calves. Just a thought!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bump
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My Team in Training coaches (one who is a physical therapist), says that the cause of many shin splits is going too fast or pushing too hard, especially in the beginning of the run.
    Maybe try to start a little slower, and see if this helps.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your gait is correct & hasn't changed for some reason(injury?) since you've last had it analyzed.

I would look at the downhill of your hill work. Along with the stretching after your run.

Assuming you a properly warmed up with a mile or so before you do hill work.

Uphill should be stretching your calves & is much more easier on all the joints/bones, but downhill is a lot more punishing. Are you shortening your stride and keeping your feet lower? More of a sweeping stride?

The stretch with your toe on a wall is pretty good, as is walking around(as stupid as it looks) with your toes off the ground has helped some people I've heard.