Low blood pressure-Hypotension

I've never paid too much attention to my blood pressure because it has always been well within the normal range, despite me being overweight. For the last 3 years I have gotten a yearly physical for work, and have never had a doctor worried about it. I had another physical last week, after fighting a really nasty head cold all week, and my blood pressure measured at pre-hypertension levels. This freaked me out, so I bought a wrist cuff blood pressure monitor. I'm feeling much better, if not completely better from my cold and 3 measurements spaced 5-10 minutes apart each gave me a reading just above the hypotension level.

I've never paid attention to it, but a lot of the symptoms do match me. Jumping right into strenuous exercise like Focus T25 or Insanity can make me really dizzy. I thought it was because I am out of shape. I get winded pretty fast, and when jogging, I generally struggle for the first mile or so before I find my stride, then I can go for a lot longer comfortably. I also feel tired a lot. I usually wake up naturally after 8 hours, but given the opportunity, I can go back to sleep and sleep 2-3 more hours before I feel awake enough I want to get up. I haven't checked my blood pressure after exercise yet, but my pulse can shoot up really fast when I workout. Not sure how that affects everything. Again, I just figured all of this was because I am out of shape, and some of it definitely is, but I'm wondering if low blood pressure might play a part too.

Since it is right at the top of the hypotension range, I want to monitor it myself before I talk to a doctor about it. A lot of the literature I read said that some people just have a naturally lower blood pressure. I would love to hear from anybody who has this and how exercising and losing weight affects an already low blood pressure. The average of the three readings was 99/ 59.

Everybody talks about exercising to lower blood pressure. What will happen to somebody with an already low blood pressure?

Thanks!

Rachel

Replies

• rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Anybody?
  • viewerno6
    viewerno6 Posts: 2 Member
    Things like anemia and dehydration can cause hypotension. Also, blood pressure changes naturally throughout the day in response to resting, activity, or eating. Monitoring your blood pressure throughout the day (maybe choose a day where you can do a reading every hour) can help you identify your body's cycle and may even indicate what is causing a drop in blood pressure.

As to having naturally lower blood pressure: exercising is not likely to cause any harm. If there are underlying problems like anemia or dehydration, resolving them will make your exercising much easier.

Source: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blood-pressure-(low)/Pages/Causes.aspx
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    My blood pressure is fairly low; usually 90ish /50 something. I don't get any of those symptoms with exercise that you have unless I haven't eaten enough.

As the poster above says, there could be other factors which you may want to get checked out by your doctor.. I also wonder if you are eating enough to give you the energy to do your increased exercise.

BTW wrist BP cuffs are not that reliable. If you really want to check your BP at home, get an arm cuff one and have your doctor's office verify its accuracy.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    I would check your sodium intake level… I have High Blood pressure so I have to watch the intake… My doctor lowered my dose the last visit since I had lost 50 lbs it was going to low with the medicine I was on.

Eat something salty before your work outs and talk to your doctor about it.

Also when measuring your blood pressure you should wait inbetween --- The blood vessel needs at least 10 minutes rest or you will not get an accurate reading ,and also the wrist monitor is not 100 % accurate.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    I've never paid too much attention to my blood pressure because it has always been well within the normal range, despite me being overweight. For the last 3 years I have gotten a yearly physical for work, and have never had a doctor worried about it. I had another physical last week, after fighting a really nasty head cold all week, and my blood pressure measured at pre-hypertension levels. This freaked me out, so I bought a wrist cuff blood pressure monitor. I'm feeling much better, if not completely better from my cold and 3 measurements spaced 5-10 minutes apart each gave me a reading just above the hypotension level.

I've never paid attention to it, but a lot of the symptoms do match me. Jumping right into strenuous exercise like Focus T25 or Insanity can make me really dizzy. I thought it was because I am out of shape. I get winded pretty fast, and when jogging, I generally struggle for the first mile or so before I find my stride, then I can go for a lot longer comfortably. I also feel tired a lot. I usually wake up naturally after 8 hours, but given the opportunity, I can go back to sleep and sleep 2-3 more hours before I feel awake enough I want to get up. I haven't checked my blood pressure after exercise yet, but my pulse can shoot up really fast when I workout. Not sure how that affects everything. Again, I just figured all of this was because I am out of shape, and some of it definitely is, but I'm wondering if low blood pressure might play a part too.

Since it is right at the top of the hypotension range, I want to monitor it myself before I talk to a doctor about it. A lot of the literature I read said that some people just have a naturally lower blood pressure. I would love to hear from anybody who has this and how exercising and losing weight affects an already low blood pressure. The average of the three readings was 99/ 59.

Everybody talks about exercising to lower blood pressure. What will happen to somebody with an already low blood pressure?

Thanks!

Rachel

99/59 is not hypotensive. I wouldn't worry but ask your dr if u are concerned.
  • wilsoje74
    And wrist ones are not very accurate.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    My blood pressure is usually very low, 80-90/50-60. It's always been that way and they always take my blood pressure twice to double check.

I black out sometimes if I stand up too quickly and I do get lightheaded easily, but it doesn't effect me with my workouts and doesn't seem to change much even when I was super fit (not so fit now).

One thing that really helps is staying hydrated. I am often slightly dehydrated so I feel that's a larger problem than my blood pressure and can contribute to any symptoms I feel.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    My BP is normally in the 90s/50s or 60. I've only had issues when it dropped into the 80s/40s or when standing up from a low squatting position or deadlifting heavy. The nurse at work has had me eat something salty if this happens, and drink water to stay hydrated.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    My BP has always been on the low side. Mineral water helps me sometimes, because of the high sodium content. But just staying hydrated in general helps. It's really important to recognize the signs of fainting also, so that you don't hurt yourself (not that I would know that from experience, or anything).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    My BP also tend to be the low side of normal, which is totally fine. my is around .100/60. ( 99/59 using an inaccurate wrist measure is not a biggie)

I only had problem when I was pregnant and/ or was anemic during extended breastfeeding . At the time it dropped to 85/ 50 and I felt dizzy and fainted a couple of times plus had extremely low energy. Lots of water, iron pills and starting to eat more beef helped.
  • wilsoje74
    My blood pressure is usually very low, 80-90/50-60. It's always been that way and they always take my blood pressure twice to double check.

I black out sometimes if I stand up too quickly and I do get lightheaded easily, but it doesn't effect me with my workouts and doesn't seem to change much even when I was super fit (not so fit now).

One thing that really helps is staying hydrated. I am often slightly dehydrated so I feel that's a larger problem than my blood pressure and can contribute to any symptoms I feel.

Dehydration causes low blood pressure
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    I have low blood pressure, and I exercise every day. I don't really feel it affects my workouts, but I will black out if I stand up too fast. Also, I backpack, and on a backpacking trip last summer I let a friend pack the snacks and seasonings...I didn't know she has a bit of a salt phobia (as in, we had no salty snacks or seasonings), and by day two of lugging a pack in Aug at elevation I felt pretty horrible and nearly passed out on the trail. I feel like that is pretty normal regardless of blood pressure though, since I'd assume you lose a lot of electrolytes when you hike seven hours a day with a pack.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 222 Member
    Sodium intake and exercising can both increase your BP. You said your BP was high after a cold. If you took any sort of decongestant (sudafed,etc.) they will raise your BP. Low BP in the vast majority of people is due to volume depletion. If you notice yourself getting dizzy when standing up try to drink some water and eat something salty to help raise it.

Regarding feeling tired in the morning, have you considered whether or not you may have obstructive sleep apnea? It can cause you to feel exhausted even after getting a full nights sleep and can also cause your blood pressure to get out of wack. Something to consider if you are overweight and/or know that you snore pretty badly.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Your readings aren't that low that I would be worried, personally. Mine are in the same range and everyone's always happy about it.

Just eat more salt.

*disclaimer- always check with your doctor. I'm not a doctor, just relaying my experience.