Food on the brain.

Options
I have a tendency to make too much for dinner (I cook for others) and then there ends up being left overs which I end up unwillingly thinking about then eating which even if it's healthy (which it usually is) makes me go over my limit. Any advice? I've gained back some of the weight I've lost too.

Replies

• rie_q
    rie_q Posts: 73
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. Are the leftovers enough for another meal? If so, portion it out into a container and refrigerate freeze them, then they're there for lunch tomorrow or dinner another night when you might not feel like cooking.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    If you sit a lot and don't have hobbies that's probably a good place to start...

no offense to people who sit at home all day, but all I see are people posting either: Is vacuuming exercise? and I can't stop thinking about food!!

(This isn't pointed at you, just something I've noticed on the forums) Find something you're passionate about that has nothing to do with food.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Only cook enough portions for the people you're going to feed. Even if somebody wants seconds and you didn't make enough for seconds- nobody ever died by not having enough second servings. They can have something else after dinner if they're still hungry.

If you're cooking for 4, make your entire recipe exact for 4 portions, then divide the meal up evenly and then it's done.

I'm a chronic overcooker too, and I've just had to learn to cook less food. (Mine is for waste purposes, I never eat leftovers and they end up sitting in my fridge until they're bad....just a terrible waste)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Pack up the leftovers for tomorrows lunch.
    put it in your insulated lunch bag or a brown paper bag... so it's not staring you in the face if you go into the frig to get a drink or fruit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to make too much for dinner (I cook for others) and then there ends up being left overs which I end up unwillingly thinking about then eating which even if it's healthy (which it usually is) makes me go over my limit. Any advice? I've gained back some of the weight I've lost too.
    I have the perfect solution! Save those leftovers for another meal. That's all it takes. :smile:
  • tenatroy1
    Options
    If you sit a lot and don't have hobbies that's probably a good place to start...

no offense to people who sit at home all day, but all I see are people posting either: Is vacuuming exercise? and I can't stop thinking about food!!

(This isn't pointed at you, just something I've noticed on the forums) Find something you're passionate about that has nothing to do with food.
    I actually have a disability which makes it very hard for me to socialize with other people in person and I only have one friend. It also makes it extremely hard to get and keep a job so yeah I don't have much else to do but I try to keep busy even if it's hard for me to be around people other than my family.