I'm new :)

Options
Hey everyone,

My name is Megan and I'm a first year university student taking a five year co-op bachelor of life sciences. I plan to do two more years of schooling after I get my bachelor to attain a masters. I've been slowly gaining weight since I started taking birth control pills about two years ago. I used to be 145 pounds, and I've gotten up as high as 190 pounds. I'm now off the pills, and using a new form of contraception and my weight has since stabilized. I have finally realised that I'm going to have to work at losing this weight by eating healthier, controlling my appetite for desserts, and to get into the habit of working out.

I found this website through an app on my android cellphone. I loved how accurate the food searcher was in comparison to the other apps that were available. I plan to record all the food I've eaten, and exercise I've undertaken at least until I've made significant progress. I'm 5'9' and although my weight is only 15-20 pounds overweight, I'd like to get back to being fit and comfortable in my body.

I haven't made any friends here at school, so I'm hoping to make some online buddies who I can encourage and be encouraged by to raise my spirits :)

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• pattysw17
    Options
    Hi Megan! It's great to meet you....I am new to myfitnesspal as well. Would love to be your friend! Where do you go to school? I think your goal of losing ten pounds is very realistic...as long as the holidays are not too crazy fo you. 1-1 1/2 pounds a week is a nice amount to lose...what are you doing for exercise?
  • megan_elynsabeth
    Options
    It's nice to meet you too :) I'm going to school in Oshawa, Ontario at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT is simpler, but no one has heard of this university because it's only 8 years old). I'm glad my first goal is realistic :) I'm trying to do this slowly... I have to admit I haven't really been doing exercise on a regular basis. I hate running just to run, and I'm only motivated to do so in sports (which I haven't been able to do since two years ago) or if I'm doing it with a friend. I like using the bike machines at my schools gym on the hill intervals. So I plan to do that for an hour a day from monday - friday. It might seem excessive for a first go but I think I need to do that to stick with it.

Also, does anyone do a cheat day? 1350 calories a day is going to kill me when I probably eat 2000 a day now. My mom suggested a cheat day where I can (moderately of course) eat something I want to without having to worrry about calories, or have a few drinks. What's the general consensus on that?