New...Need advise...Can I do a 10K?

tiffabbey
tiffabbey Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I started running in July and have run 3 5ks to date. My best time was 33:10 and surprisingly that was my first one of the 3. I'm running at least 3x per week...anywhere from 3 miles to 5...have yet to run a long run but hope to do so this week...shooting to run the 10k route here in town. There is a 10k on Dec. 4th, I really want to run it...and finish it! Am I shooting to high? Do I need more training before I jump into this? I ran my first 5k on 10/23(all flat in 50 degrees), second one on 10/31(hills in 40 degrees), and third one yesterday 11/20(hills and flat in 50 degrees). The route for the 10K on 12/4 is hilly and flat (part of it is identical to the 10/31 race I ran - they are doing the same 5k that day, I want to try a 10 though!)
I do not run the entire 5k...I usually slow to a 1 minute walk 2 or 3 times after 2 miles. Typically sprint the last 1/4 mile.

Am I setting myself up to be injured or worse...failure?!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or thoughts.

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    I agree - Go for it! Your body should be able to take it but if it can't it will tell you well in advance of you doing any damage - you just have to listen to it.
  • I guess failure to me would be walking a lot or finishing in a really bad time...like over 90 minutes...I don't know...or even just physically not handling it and walking back? I'm thinking of doing a 5/1 or 6/1 interval to start with so I don't freak out.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    My advice? Just go for it.

You can do it :)

L.
  • i agree! Go for it! If you can already run 5 miles, tacking on an extra 1.2 won't be too bad. Even if you walk segments of it, seriously, you will be fine!! And as far as you time being 90 minutes, well you could WALK that entire 6.2 miles in that timeframe :) You will be fine and i look forward to celebrating w you on the 5th!! :)
This discussion has been closed.