Feeling weak during PMS?

Options
Is it normal to feel weak during the days right before your TOM and also maybe during? I have never noticed this before, but today I cranked out 30 pushups and it about killed me. I never feel like that after doing only 30. Also I am cramping and bloated... but muscle fatigue??? Anyone??

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you're cramping it means blood flow is going to those muscles instead of the ones you're using for pushups, which means they'll tire out easier. Also, if you're bloated you're carrying around a couple extra pounds.
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had that problem. I find myself getting light-headed on the cardio equipment at times. When it's bad (like, beyond the "I feel icky and I don't wanna work out, whaaaa!!" feeling), I'll generally do what I can but be ready to give it a rest or call it quits for the day if necessary. It's very frustrating, without a doubt!

I'd love to hear if anyone has had a similar problem and has found a better solution though--That would be great!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I get some serious fatigue. I wonder if it could not only be the blood going to the cramping areas but also temporary anemia from actual blood loss. I know it's PMS and the blood isn't moving yet, but it's def. out of circulation, right? My doc told me that a heavy period can cause anemia until you get a chance to build it back up and anemia does cause weakness and general fatigue.

I wonder if it would help if in prep for your period, (I'm talking to myself here too) you ate iron rich foods to fortify your system? I do this for a week before I'm gonna give blood. Seems like the logic would work here too.
  • eillamarie
    Options
    z
  • eillamarie
    Options

I don't know how "up" on current medicine your doc is, but that is an old wives tale. It used to be a common belief that heavy periods cause anemia, that blood isn't coming from your blood stream, it's coming from your uterus, you still have the same amount of blood and same amount of iron circulating throughout your body.

I do, however, agree that blood isn't circulating as well since it's going to the muscles of your uterus.