Can someone please look at my diary and explain?

Options
2»

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Again, really only looked as far as the weekend, agree with above, bit generic (home made soup, are all the individual ingredients being logged as a meal, what size is the 1.5 cups you're having), carbs are high (bread was my biggest issue as well).
    Other thing I noticed is that you logged 2 fried eggs for breakfast one of the days but there's no oil logged??

I had a body fat analysis done (loads of measurement, lying on a freezing floor whilst having the 'bits' attached and the machine doing the reading) and it gave me a resting metabolic rate of just under 1800 calories, I've based my adily calories on that and aim for between 1800-1900 calories per day and take on an extra 100-200 (or 200-300 calories if I'm doing 2 exercises) on the days I exercise, so Monday I run 3miles so an extra 100-200 calories (despite myfitness pal saying it's worth nearly 500 calories, unless I have a heartrate monitor on I can't know how many calories I come close to burning and think 500 is rather generous), Tuesday & Thursday I run 4miles followed by an hours weights so add an extra 200-300 calories and Wednesday I have a PT session (and basically knackered after that), I tend to stick to full fat versions to try and avoid hidden sugars (they take the fat out and put sugar in to make it taste better, especially yogurts), I have a protein shake or mix protein powder with yogurt after weights since I've been pounding my muscles (or it certainly feels that way) and have whole milk in between running and weights for the calories without wanting to throw up half way through a class!!
    Nuts/Seeds are good for increasing calories by only taking a small amount, yes they're high in fat, but it's mainly the good fats and also high in protein for muscle damage/rebuilding.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: you aren't eating enough, particularly with your exercise regime.

If you find it hard to up your calories, eat calorie dense food, like peanut butter, nuts, avocado, full fat milk, cook with oil, etc.

Sodium can indeed make you retain water, this is food more in processed foods, takeaways, anything you find in a can, for example. I wouldn't worry about cutting out certain foods just yet, if at all.
  • meryt88
    Options
    i didnt realise I had been eating overly processed foods, if someone could let me know which foods is the overly processed ones I shall try avoid them in future :)

I would start by changing those snacks. An alternative could be fruit with plain low-fat yogurt ;)
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have a lot of homemade foods, which is great, but sometimes it is hard to tell the calories. I had beef stew last nigh and mpf said it was under 400 calories, but I can tell how I feel today it must have been more. It looks like you are under your calorie goal which will help with if you are going over. Try to estimate on the high side and weigh everything, try to never guess. One time when I was dieting and seeing no progress i just gave up, and I gained a ton! Even if you are just maintaining it is better than gaining.

Also try adding some HIIT workouts instead of those long, marathon sessions. They are great fat burners with a long after burn.

I
  • jdsinau
    Options
    hey there, yep bread i.e any white carbs/ grains and sugar are the worst for sticking, bread has a high sugar content as well as turning into sugar when its metabolised.

try for 2 weeks to restrict your sugar, carbs, wheat and dairy and red meat, and upping your protein,
    you should also have 5 meals a day of 250 cals per meal.. this means from the time you have breakfast to the time you have dinner you are eating every 3 hrs, this is so your body is burning fat all day.

. a meal is considered a meal when it has protein in it, so 2 of your daily meals can be be in the form of a protein shake, i personally buy the Michelle bridges protein as it has the least amount of sugar and a higher % of protein. great alternatives to rice or pasta is quinoa,
    if you don't want to consume soy milk try quinoa or rice milk instead, oats and berries are great breakfast or try making your own muesli to have with berries,

if you really want sweet try natvia instead of sugar and bake up some muffins, you can then have the treat without the sugar content.

i have done all if the above and dropped between .5g and a kg per week, keep up the exercise and see how you go good luck
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    From a quick look at your diary, your logging isn't always accurate, doesn't look like you are using a food scale. Some of your entries look like you used recipes that were saved in MFP database not your own, so you can't be sure what exactly you were consuming.

Log accurately and consistently

If you aren't losing you aren't in a deficit
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi again. Added you :)

As to macros, MFP is set at 55% carbs, 15% protein and 25% fat ( I think?). This doesn't work great for everyone once they start restricting calories as carbs are not that filling (just my take on it, folks). Once you add diet foods into the mix you are able to eat more of these foods that are IMO, not satisfying and quite misleading.

Now, I'm not a dietician so I'm not recommending 40/30/30 but that's what I use ( there are more complicated methods like, 1-1.5g protein per lb LBM and 0.35g fat per lb body weight but for me the above percentages fall nicely into this range).

Using these numbers, you'd have to cut back the bread/starchy carbs etc but not rule them out completely and having more protein and fat in your diet does tend to keep you 'full' for longer.

I'd say though, that regardless of whether you change your macros or not, you need to start logging accurately. E.g. Don't enter 'mashed potatoes' - log 'x g potatoes', 'x g butter(try to use the brand name)', ' x ml milk'. Or like another poster said, do not log, 'fried egg' - log, '1 small/medium/large egg' and ' x g oil'. Also weigh food instead of using entries that say cup. And if the entry is raw, weigh it raw or cooked, weigh it cooked. Seems like a hassle but it becomes second nature.

ETA: once you have entered all the ingredients for say, your homemade soup once you can then save that entry as a meal.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi,

im guessing, lets say you have a goal of 145lbs, per your height and age, working out 3-4x/week

Your BMR is: 1441

Your TDEE is: 1981

like everyone said you need to eat a bit more.
    its safe to say that you can eat at 1500ish calories to lose 1lb/week
    under eating will just stall your weight loss.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    maybe not enough? youre around 1000 - 1300 what I saw. Also you work out. When I was on 1200 I didnt lost a gram.
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was like you, staying the same, fluctuating, doing 5-6 hours exercise a week, wearing a heart rate monitor so not over estimating calories burnt (I would recommend a heart rate monitor if you don't have one). But the simple fact is, if you aren't in calorie deficit you won't lose weight. This was a really hard fact for me to swallow for months and months and I was really in denial.
    I was not logging consistently and correctly and "forgot" about the odd biscuit or sweet here, but those add up.
    Now I put everything on my diary and I am losing weight, 10lbs in 3 weeks.

I would start by looking at your macros, protein fat and carbs. I have my protein and carbs balanced at 35% each and fat at 30%. My fat is high, but it is made up of good fats, I keep an eye on saturated fats. Protein fills you up and also helps if you have a busy gym schedule, I'd be so sore if I didhn't eat as much protein as I do. I choose to avoid bread, potatoes, pasta and rice because I find these calorie dense, you don't get as much bang for your buck as it was.

I rarely eat processed food. Whenever I create a recipe at home I weigh everything that goes in it and create a new recipe, that way its as accurate as it can be.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have a lot of homemade foods, which is great, but sometimes it is hard to tell the calories. I had beef stew last nigh and mpf said it was under 400 calories, but I can tell how I feel today it must have been more.
    Huh?
    It's simple to be accurate when calculating calories and nutrients of homemade foods...weigh each ingredient before cooking and log it. Simple. (You can use the recipe builder, too, if it's something you make often, or in large batches)

If you just pick someone else's database entry of course it's going to be inaccurate, everyone's recipe is different.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    Probably aren't eating enough calories and your macros are off, like others have mentioned. I'm your height and weigh just a bit under you, don't exercise in the winter because I'm lazy and hate treadmills, and consume 1,400 cal a day. When I run 5-6 days a week I eat 1,850 cal a day and never eat back exercise calories. Increasing helped me start to lose again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!