Constantly fatigued

Options
Was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I am currently training for a half marathon, going off a 16 week schedule as opposed to a 12 week since this is my first one. I am running 4 days a week (one day being HIIT), and also doing 30 day shred twice a week. I am still getting two rest days. I eat about 1500-1800 calories a day, about 8 cups of water, and 95 grams of protein. I am finding that I am completely exhausted by the time 7 pm rolls around, and have been going to bed at 8-8:30 (though its not uninterrupted as I get up a couple times a night because I have a toddler waking up). Is this normal? Anything wrong or need to be adjusted with what I am doing? Right now in my training I am only running 4 miles so far so not sure if this is going to get worse as I go along.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

Replies

• phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    training for half marathon....30 day shred... these things are not compatible. Apart from that you might be overtraining (well from the description of fatigue you almost certainly are) which means you either need to increase your calories or decrease your weekly mileage or both.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at the last 4 or 5 days of your diary shows you're not eating nearly enough calories to support the activities you're doing. Hell, even without knowing your personal stats, I'd wager many days you're not even eating enough to support basic function (BMR). It's very likely that you're overtraining as mentioned above. Maybe cut out the 30DS and just concentrate on the marathon training. You also may want to increase your water intake.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Your calorie and protein numbers are not consistent to support your work. You might want to consider a protein powder supplement for the days you can't reach your protein. It will give you extra calories and protein. If you are just needing more sleep, I asked this very question yesterday and was assured that it is normal for a new routine. Good luck getting everything dialed in! It can be difficult at times.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My first impression is over-training and under-eating...
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Do you guys eat all our exercise calories back? I have a Fitbit and it tells me I am burning about 2800 calories a day, so I am shooting for 1500-1800 for a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 2 pounds a week. I am definitely not losing 2 pounds so I was worried I its because I'm not eating enough. Should I adjust my calorie goal? I am 30 pounds overweight so am definitely wanting to lose weight...
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    Two pounds per week is too agressive of a goal for someone with only 10 pounds to lose to get to goal. You should be aiming for only 1/2 a pound per week, which would be a deficit of 250 calories per day I'm not sure how it works when you use a FitBit but going by the traditional MFP method, you should eat back your exercise calories. I get mine from my HRM (Polar FT4) and eat them all back.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    I actually have 30 pounds to go total (my goal on the site is just a mini goal). Is it still too much a deficit you think?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yeah IMO, 1000 calorie deficit is pretty aggressive with 30lbs to go. Try cutting it in half and roll back just a bit with the exercise to see if it makes a difference in how you feel.
  • asilmegan34
    Options
    Will do. Thanks!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add in my two cents. If after you increase your food intake etc. you're still having a tough time with fatigue you may want to have your iron levels looked at. I know last year when i was training for my first half I had the same problem... although I was averaging 2,000-2,200 cals a day since I also teach group classes on top of my running. But anyway, After taking a look at my iron intake for the past few months I was noticing that my iron intake was significantly below goal 99% of the time. As a runner you may have a harder time with iron levels as it's been found that running can deplete your iron levels (not true for everyone, but it can happen). I made a conscious effort to increade iron rich foods and found me a multi vitamin with iron in it (a lot harder than you would think) and haven't had a problem since.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Fatigue could be from any of the things mentioned, but if addressing the above (increased calories, iron, sleep, water) and you still aren't better get checked out by a doc. Could be any number of things (thyroid, anemia, pregnancy, etc.)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eat more! If you are using your Fitbit number as your TDEE (total daily expenditure of energy), then you calorie deficit is set according to your weight loss goal. If you need to lose >20 pounds, set your deficit at TDEE-20%. If your need to lose 10-20 pounds, then TDEE-10 to 15%, and once you're down to <10 pounds to lose, set your goal to TDEE-5-10%. You should only be at a 20% deficit!
  • MinnieInMaine
    Options
    Oh yeah, I always forget about iron! I'd encourage you to start now by making you're eating iron rich foods and/or taking a vitamin w/ iron to avoid any concern with this. Spinach, red meat, whole eggs, dark dried fruit (raisins, prunes), lentils, etc.
  • mrsdean4
    mrsdean4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add in my two cents. If after you increase your food intake etc. you're still having a tough time with fatigue you may want to have your iron levels looked at. I know last year when i was training for my first half I had the same problem... although I was averaging 2,000-2,200 cals a day since I also teach group classes on top of my running. But anyway, After taking a look at my iron intake for the past few months I was noticing that my iron intake was significantly below goal 99% of the time. As a runner you may have a harder time with iron levels as it's been found that running can deplete your iron levels (not true for everyone, but it can happen). I made a conscious effort to increade iron rich foods and found me a multi vitamin with iron in it (a lot harder than you would think) and haven't had a problem since.

I second this! I have severe iron deficiency anemia related to my weight loss surgery (yes, I did do it to myself, I'm a big girl and I am handling my consequences!) and I can tell you that iron levels really do make a huge difference. As a nurse, my suggestion is always to have a complete physical including some basic lab work, especially if the other little tweaks that have been suggested don't make a positive change for you. Our bodies have ways of letting us know what we need...we just have to be willing to listen!
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You just started training for a race and you have a toddler that's constantly waking you up. That's why you're tired.

Good luck in your race.
  • piejin
    piejin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problems as you with fatigue! I'm currently doing T25 in the mornings and a P90X/Insanity hybrid in the afternoons, and I walk for 45 minutes to an hour every day. The one rest day a week I have just isn't cutting it for me in terms of getting recovered, but I can't afford to do any less exercise than I am because sticking to 1250 net calories a day is hard enough as it is when I hardly burn any calories despite all the exercise. (the problem with being short) I definitely feel like my performance is getting worse and worse, and my calves especially are killing me every day, but I can't burn enough calories unless I do this much exercise constantly. :( I don't want to eat even less, but I certainly can't exercise any more than I already am, and I feel like these are already really intense workouts, so I don't have more intense but less time-consuming workouts I could do instead. I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately I'm in the same boat!