Fish Oil - To Burp or Not to Burp...

Options
Per my MD I have to take 2,000 mg's of fish oil a day... I burp tuna for hours after i take it - I hate it!!!

I have tried one in the am and one in the pm; i have tried a LOT of water with it; I have tried with meals, without meals I still often burp fishy ick afterword.

Does anyone know what I can do? I am an obese diabetic that needs to follow doctor instructions but this is killing me!
I am going to finish off what I have and then try a new kind if I can get some suggestions.

PLEASE!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I take mine right before I go to bed.

Problem solved.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Change brands. The burpless kind are a little more expensive but do help. If absolutely no help, ask your doctor if you can take flax seed oil instead. They are very similar with mainly same benefits.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Articles/Supplements/Fish-Oil-Basics.aspx#.Uukmm_m4F9M

There are different brands, types, etc
    Just keep trying til you find one that doesn't irritate you?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Change brands. The burpless kind are a little more expensive but do help. If absolutely no help, ask your doctor if you can take flax seed oil instead. They are very similar with mainly same benefits.

There are "burpless" supplements? Who knew? lol
  • markpom
    markpom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try keeping the pills in the fridge/freezer. They will not dissolve until they get further through your intestines and may stop the burp odor.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Get the enteric coated variety.

Also, it's wise to ask your doc what amount of DHA/EPA (Omega 3s) he is recommending, rather than the amount of "oil" as not all oils have the same concentration of DHA/EPA and the number on the front of the bottle only tells you the groos amount of oil per serving.

Sometimes getting a more concentrated oil can reduce the burps just by lessening the oil amount.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Change brands. The burpless kind are a little more expensive but do help.

This is true. I took fish oil for a time several years back, but hated mid-morning fishy burps. As a stocking stuffer my wife got me NatureMade Burpless Fish Oil pills -- and they have been true to their name. Been taking them daily since Christmas and not a single fishy burp. Works for me!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

That's what they call them in the description. I think it is some kind of special capsule.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That's what they call them in the description. I think it is some kind of special capsule.
    Yes, "enteric coated" pills don't dissolve until they are in the small intestine, so, no burbs (or upset stomach like enteric coated ASA)
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Second putting in freezer, never happens to me
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Krill oil is supposed to be better than fish oil, and when I took it I didn't have the fishy burps. They're smaller too, more concentrated I guess.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Might want to consider switching to krill oil -- never had a burp problem with even the cheap brands of that.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Storing it in the freezer helps until you can switch to a different type. I never had a problem with it once I made the switch to Krill Oil.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the cheap brands - even if I put them in the freezer, ate with food and all the other tips out there.

The only brand that has worked for me are the Nordic Naturals Ultra Omega. They are expensive, but combined with freezing them I never got fish burps. They also have a much higher dose of fish oils than most other brands.

But now I eat so much fish anyway that I've stopped supplementing with fish oil altogether.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Optimum Nutrition's brand of fish oil for 3 years... They're Enteric coated- I've never had a fish burp once.
    Before those, I took Nordic Naturals strawberry flavored capsules... I had -some- burps with those but they tasted like strawberry.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No advice as I never have this issue but thanks for reminding me to take mine, I had completely forgotten.
  • Yorkxan
    Options
    Be careful on the "no burp". Tried a brand and it shot my blood pressure up 40 points. Didn't know what was going on, went to the Dr. When asked what I was doing different that was the only change, got off of it and it went down in 48 hours
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Be careful on the "no burp". Tried a brand and it shot my blood pressure up 40 points. Didn't know what was going on, went to the Dr. When asked what I was doing different that was the only change, got off of it and it went down in 48 hours

Bizarre. Hope you both reported the reaction.
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Per my MD I have to take 2,000 mg's of fish oil a day... I burp tuna for hours after i take it - I hate it!!!

I have tried one in the am and one in the pm; i have tried a LOT of water with it; I have tried with meals, without meals I still often burp fishy ick afterword.

Does anyone know what I can do? I am an obese diabetic that needs to follow doctor instructions but this is killing me!
    I am going to finish off what I have and then try a new kind if I can get some suggestions.

PLEASE!

Simple solution. Place your fish oil capsules in the freezer ... once they are frozen you can take them and not experience any "fishy burps" because they don't dissolve in your system until they pass the burp inducing place. My daughter got this advice from her Doctor. Works famously! :happy:
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OmGosh thank you all so much!!!! I was soooo nervous posting about burps, lol.

I will try the freezer and then I think i will switch to Krill! I am afraid of my BP going up I just managed to get it to manageable with out them increasing my meds - which they almost did.

I am afraid of taking it right before bed because I know I will forget to take it :ohwell: