Struggling to get my carbs up

Options
Junctionbox
Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
I've changed my eating habits as I could see from my diary that I was never getting near my protein goal, so I've corrected it by eating lots of lean meat like turkey, chicken and beef as well as fish like tuna, mackerel and salmon. But the corollary of that is I find myself full and yet I am under half my carb goal. I am eating lots of fruit as well, typically apples and bananas with a fair amount of berries.

I suppose it is a nice problem to have, the weight is coming off after all. But I sometimes feel weaker than I should and unable to complete my regular cardio workout.

I'm 48, 190lbs, 6 ft, sedentary job but I get to the gym five times a week. I'm not overweight, just trying to shift a pot belly.

What I could use is some advice on lunchtime recipes that are higher in "good" carbs.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sandwiches, pasta salad, rice salad, jacket potato with regular or sweet potato....
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Open up your food diary.

But in general, bread/rice/potatoes/pasta.
  • Junctionbox
    Options
    I've made my diary public. I'm trying to avoid bread though, it makes me sleepy and I don't want to exercise afterwards. But thanks for the rice and pasta ideas.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need more food in general.. some days you only eat 1300 cals... your fat is also low, you could add some nuts and seeds or peanut butter, all good fats and lots of calories.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, sweet potato, fruits, vegetables, oatmeal & pasta
  • Junctionbox
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am going to look up some sweet potato recipes. It's not something I have had very often and I fancy a change. I'll try nuts too, but have to find a way to make them palatable as they can be very dry on their own. Can't stand peanut butter, but wifey has just bought some almond butter which sound intriguing. Had to get it online as the local supermarkets don't seem to have it.
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Might be worth just adding smallamounts of rice or potato to what you eat for each meal. Trying to get a lot of the starchy foods in one might be what impacts upon your body making you sleepy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have the energy for the workouts, not because you aren't getting enough carbs, but rather you are not getting enough calories.

Since you are a normal weight for your height and are trying to lose less than 10lbs, you should be aiming to lose no more than 0.5lbs/week and you should be eating back the cals burned from exercise.

Some days you are netting less than 1000 calories (eating 1400ish and burning 500, is like eating 900 on days you don't workout) I would suggest eating no less than 2000 Net cals, based on your stats and goals. And you may have go protein up but still looks quite low for 190lbs, you should be getting 140+ everyday to help ensure that you are losing fat, not lean muscle.

A large deficit, lack of strength training, and not enough protein when you don't have a lot of fat to lose will result in a large % of your loss coming from muscle.

You could even fit in a pop-tart ice cream sandwich everyday. You will get some protein with a good dose of calories, fat, and carbs, that you so desperately need.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am going to look up some sweet potato recipes. It's not something I have had very often and I fancy a change.

Sweet potato is amazing in place of a normal jacket potato with cottage cheese on it. Or you can roast it, make soup out of it... Loads of stuff but having a sweet-jacket is definitely my fave!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You just increased your protein intake to 80g/day?

I am 40+ with a desk job as well. I am currently eating 300+g/carbs a day. Feel free to look at my diary.
    I have had a couple of bread heavy days this week, so ignore those :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I've changed my eating habits as I could see from my diary that I was never getting near my protein goal, so I've corrected it by eating lots of lean meat like turkey, chicken and beef as well as fish like tuna, mackerel and salmon. But the corollary of that is I find myself full and yet I am under half my carb goal. I am eating lots of fruit as well, typically apples and bananas with a fair amount of berries.

I suppose it is a nice problem to have, the weight is coming off after all. But I sometimes feel weaker than I should and unable to complete my regular cardio workout.

I'm 48, 190lbs, 6 ft, sedentary job but I get to the gym five times a week. I'm not overweight, just trying to shift a pot belly.

What I could use is some advice on lunchtime recipes that are higher in "good" carbs.

From looking at your food diary I think that your problem is not your carb intake, but your food intake in general.
    There are many days where at the end of the day you have anywhere from 500 to 1400 calories left over. Also, you don't actually eat as much fruit as you think. Two pieces on average a day is ok, but not much. You might have upped your protein, but you are still frequently under.
    I also couldn't find any vegetables to speak of, no legumes at all, no pasta, rice or other starchy foods ( which with the calories left over you could easily eat ). If you don't like bread....don't eat it, but you must in general eat more than you do. I am not surprised that you often feel weak....please eat more.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I can't eat grain due to intolerances so I rely on fruit and sweet potatoes. Beans are another good source of carbs plus they have protein. For me I can't rely on them because they make my stomach hurt but you might find them to be a good addition.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you need more food in general.. some days you only eat 1300 cals... your fat is also low, you could add some nuts and seeds or peanut butter, all good fats and lots of calories.

What she said ^^^ Is there a reason that you eat so low on some days? I'm a smaller (5'4") female, and I'd feel weak and unable to complete my workouts if I only ate 1300 or 1500 calories on a regular basis. I have occasional days where I'm really low, but they are far and few between. Generally speaking, since you are a male and you work out, I would expect that you could eat significantly more than you are and still lose weight. A huge calorie deficit that makes you feel weak won't do you any favors in the long run.
  • Junctionbox
    Options
    And you may have go protein up but still looks quite low for 190lbs, you should be getting 140+ everyday to help ensure that you are losing fat, not lean muscle.

That's interesting, MFP has my recommended protein at 69 a day. I'll try what you say and increase it. I'll also start doing some strength training, thanks for the tips.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think my problem has been focusing too much on getting my protein and I have taken my eye off the overall calories goal. It's not as easy as it looks is it? I'm exercising, eating enough not to be hungry and losing the weight but nevertheless I need to think about long term sustainability.

I'll try to get more food down my neck, using all your good suggestions. Many thanks again.