hi- confused?

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP... I have been put on a 1440 calorie "lifestyle" with MFP. I have a few questions:

Are net calories "extra calories" that I can eat during the day?
What happens when the number turns RED?
If I go over sodium or sugar, can I still lose weight if I am still under 1440 calories a day?
Whats the difference between calories REMAINING verses NET CALORIES?
Should I always eat my NET?

How do I know if I'm losing weight? I'm just confused..... HELP!

Thanks,
Ali

Replies

• nicolared1
    Options
    Your net is just your total calories for the day. When the number turns red, you've exceeded your calories for the day, ie you've eaten too many. You should still lose weight regardless of sodium or sugar - but I don't track those so someone else may have a more detailed answer on that one. And as for how do you know if you're losing weight...do you not just step on your scales and weigh yourself? If you don't do that, how do you know what you weigh in the first place? I might be missing something, but as far as I know, an app/website can't tell if you've actually lost weight.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    The sugar max is unrealistically low in most cases. It's the first number I exceed. I don't even track it anymore. Exceeding sodium may lead to water retention giving you a false weight making you think you're not burning fat when you are. Focus on protein, fat and carbs, trying to keep carbs below the max, but feel free to exceed on protein and if your total calories stay on target, you'll still lose weight.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Are net calories "extra calories" that I can eat during the day?
    What happens when the number turns RED?
    If I go over sodium or sugar, can I still lose weight if I am still under 1440 calories a day?
    Whats the difference between calories REMAINING verses NET CALORIES?
    Should I always eat my NET

As nicolared1 said, net calories are how many calories you have eaten after you factor in exercise. If you eat 1200 calories, then burn 300 exercising, you have "netted" 900 calories for the day. It's like your paycheck. Gross calories, minus taxes, equals net calories.

When the number is red, you've eaten all your 1440 calories plus more for the day.

Sodium and sugar is a highly individualized factor. I cannot eat a smidge over my daily recommended sodium because my body holds water like a camel when I do. Therefore, I track very carefully my sodium. Sugar is another thing some people watch. If you're pre-diabetic, diabetic, or hypoglycemic, tracking sugar is important for health reasons.

Remaining calories is anything you haven't eaten to equal your 1440 calories. Net calories is how many you have actually eaten.

For me, planning my day out helps immensely for food consumption. I can see where my sodium, protein, carbs, and sugars are after what I plan on eating, then I know how much exercise will add to those numbers.

People do different things, so just finding what works for you takes a bit of experimenting. I eat back about half of my exercise calories to get to my 1200 calories for the day. That way, I'm eating enough to fuel my body and eating less than I burned.

Good luck!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You should get as close to your NET calories as you can (if you enter exercise this number will increase) Remaining calories is what is left of your net after you have entered food. If it turns red you are over (some areas like sodium, carbs and sugar are frequently red at the end of the day and if the number is high look at your foods to determine why and adjust a bit but don't get alarmed about it). MFP calculates a built in deficit of calories so if you stay within 100 calories on either side of your net you should be okay. Your increase in calories that comes from exercise is due to your body needing fuel for exercise - if you exercise you should try to eat back at least half of the calories burned exercising othewise you will be low on "fuel" and your body may react by "storing". This is just my summary and I am not an expert but pretty much what I go by for now. If you exercise A LOT I would eat back more than half my calories added for exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    deja vu. I answered in your other thread.
  • aboland06
    Options
    thank you all for the help.

last question- I know its annoying but just to clarify!

How do I know how many calories I need to burn during my workout? I run for like 40 minutes on the treadmill, and burn almost 500 calories.... is that enough to lose weight?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the help.

last question- I know its annoying but just to clarify!

How do I know how many calories I need to burn during my workout? I run for like 40 minutes on the treadmill, and burn almost 500 calories.... is that enough to lose weight?

With MFP's set-up you can burn 0 calories and still lose weight. Any amount is fine for weight loss and how much you do should depend on whatever fitness goals you might have.
  • aboland06
    Options
    youre awesome!!!! thanks a lot doll :)