I'm scared of the scale...help!

Options
I just joined this site a few days ago and haven't weighed myself in quite some time. I guessed my weight when I completed my profile but I know that I'll benefit the most if I actually weigh myself and keep track of my progress from week to week. I'm scared that once I get on the scale it will be much higher than what I anticipated and I'll just get depressed. Does anyone have any motivating words that will make it easier to take that first *step*?

Replies

• eck219
    eck219 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site a few days ago and haven't weighed myself in quite some time. I guessed my weight when I completed my profile but I know that I'll benefit the most if I actually weigh myself and keep track of my progress from week to week. I'm scared that once I get on the scale it will be much higher than what I anticipated and I'll just get depressed. Does anyone have any motivating words that will make it easier to take that first *step*?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Just consider it the first step in your journey to health. Doesn't matter what it says--you plan on changing to see those numbers go lower anyway, right?
  • bbright53
    bbright53 Posts: 81
    Options
    Just think of it as your starting point. I think it would be more depressing in a couple of weeks after you know you have lost weight to get on the scale and have it appear that you haven't lost anything.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Yep- it is just a number that will ebb and flow. What is important really is increasing healthy habits and finding new ways of incorporating health into your life. Even when you do weigh- the number is only one marker of success. I have to keep reminding myself that when my scale doesnt move at all despite my great efforts. Then I have to step back and realize how great I feel, how much energy, how I can run now- how much good food I am taking in my body and I know the scale will catch up.

So to begin with it is just a number and along the way dont let it dictate your successes because it doesnt always equate. You are beginning this journey on this site- so welcome and when you are ready to weigh do it. Until then....make some goals and work toward attaining them. That feels as good as the scale!

Keep posting here for support and join and group to log in to every day- that has been really helpful for me!

Welcome aboard!
  • Lowrider
    Lowrider Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Important to remember you are not doing this alone, we are here. Keep posting your feelings, concerns and we will help. Share your successes, none are too small. Let us know when you have lost even one pound and we will cheer your on. That scale is just are reminder of where you were, you are the one that determines where you are going and we are here along with you on your journey to a healthy happy life. Get on that scale and say "Bite ME" , what ever the number it is not my future!
  • eck219
    eck219 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support! Tomorrow morning I will conquer my demon.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale too. Two years ago it had been a year since I had weighed. I knew it would be up when I finally had to weigh at the doctor. It was devastating. But that was the beginning a change for me. I am healthier, fitter than I have ever been. I still have some pounds to lose, but I feel GREAT!

Even now, the scale stresses me out. Just a gain or no change can send me into a talespin. BUT, I am learning to take it with a grain of salt, b/c so many things can make it fluctuate either way.

If you are ready to make a change, then no matter what that number says today...it can only get better from this point.

Get on that scale and claim a victory for making today the start of a new you!!!!
  • vindicator6
    Options
    Unfortunately, the scale is a necessary....EVIL!

LOL :laugh:

Seriously though, you have to initially weigh yourself...you do not need to post this if you do not want to.
    The reason? You need to know where you are to know where you are going.

I weighed my self when I first started & was not happy. I weighed myself 3 months later...20 lbs lost.

You can get in the trap of over weighing ...I do not use weighing every week as a method. i weigh once & put scale away. Pull it out at the end of a month or two.

I do this because the body fluctuates during weight loss...up & down.

So...your first step of this journey should be on the scale....the next is to plan out good nutrition and exercise, and third step is to stick with it.

:happy: