I love baking... but what to do with them afterwards?

Options
Hello, i'm new to this, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I thought this might be the right one to post it in!

Basically I LOVE to bake (if uni fails i'd totally start my own bakery/coffee shop haha... it's a lil daydream of mine) but I don't know what to do with the goods I make! I live far away from my family, I obviously limit/stop myself from eating much/at all as it's not the best thing for weight loss... there are only so many cakes and pastries and biscuits my boyfriend can eat, and I don't really have any friends. What can I do with these baked goods? Obviously the most obvious answer is to not bake any more but i'd be sad to stop doing something that makes me happy/is a hobby! Any ideas?

Thanks guys (and sorry if this is random!)

Replies

• colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I bake for a local shelter specifically for domestic violence survivors (so lots of families/kids). You can see if there are any shelters (homeless, domestic violence, etc) around you, but make sure to check with them to see if they'll accept outside food like mine does. Also, you could take some in to class since you're in university, but again I might check with the professor ahead of time since some don't like food in class.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I grew up baking, and I too had to figure out a way to enjoy it without waste or adding to my waist.

I will cut recipes in half/fourths/to a single egg. I set aside a few for me and partner, then I wrap up plates and hand them out to my neighbors. Keeps me friendly with the neighbors despite my crazy dogs. I have also started putting 1\2 my cookie dough batches in freezer bags, flattening & labeling them and keeping them available for single servings or when I have company stop by. Or whatever the reason, keeps them available without being in my face.

I also volunteer to bake for other clubs on campus when they have their fund raisers too. They appreciate it and get to break into my chocolate chip stash! I am sure there are opportunities to enjoy your baking without being left with a pan of goods in your house.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine loves baking cupcakes and decorating them in unique ways. She contracts with a local bakery to be the cupcake supplier. Maybe there's an opportunity like that for you if you can supply something they don't already sell to bring in more business. Here's one of her cakes.

553601_10202110693746680_1177603985_n.jpg
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Shelters, churches, food banks, senior centers would be great ideas!
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Same problem!!! I LOVE to cook in general. It's so soothing for me. But as a person practically you can only eat so much...

I used to bring cookies/brownies/muffins that I made to work all the time. Sharing helps with portion control and makes people like you better. But the last two batches of cookies I baked were just soooo good that I was really reluctant to share them with anybody XD

BTW feel free to friend me if you live in the bay area. I love hosting dinners! And I promise I'll make healthy food :)
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I haven't baked in a while for this very reason! I have 3 kids and my husband, but they still can't eat all I'm trying to make ha ha. I need to just start making it and bringing in half to work and leaving the other half for the family.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I will either bring stuff to work or I'll freeze it in single packages so I can grab and go too and don't have to worry about them going bad.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I avoid it, lol. Or I eat everything in two days. My kids don't even help that much.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I love baking too. The ways around it for me have been:

-bake less frequently (may not be the way you want to go!)

-bake to coincide with friends' birthdays, parties, Christmas, bake sales etc

-give stuff away at work, or to neighbours, friends etc (there is a limit to this)

-bake stuff that is freezable (for example I've found that brownies freeze quite well; cookie dough freezes and you can slice some off and bake as required) or that has a long shelf-life (for example I made gingerbread and lebkuchen before Christmas, both of which lasted ages and in fact got better with age)

-bake things that fit more easily into my goals (eg focusing on artisan breads rather than cakes; perfecting my protein brownies; baking fruit loaf, scones or gingerbread instead of ganache slathered, buttercream filled chocolate cake; saving the really calorie dense stuff for special occasions)

-bake in smaller quantities (buying tins for smaller cakes or loaves, baking 6 cupcakes instead of 12 etc)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I love baking. I love experimenting with baking recipes and making the results look just beautiful...

I volunteered to do coffee hour baking at church 2 weeks a month and I'm in a community group that does a potluck every sunday night. They know I'm the one who ALWAYS brings dessert.

The rest go to my neighbors in my apartment complex and if I have a LOT I give it to the complex office and they put them out for resident's/prospective residents.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I eat them. That's why I don't bake:( I love to bake, but not right now! But I have my children bake, so I can remain detached!
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Give birth to 5 boys. Leftovers are no longer a problem.:smile:
    Seriously, I limit my baking days. I bake on Sundays, because that's our thing and my boys love it. We do big batches and choose a family in our neighborhood to take half to. Love it, and we are getting to know our neighbors better. My other treat making day is Wednesday because I am a cub scout leader and we have den meeting at my house on Wednesday afternoons, and my boys love a treat after den meetings. This year has been a learning experience for me since one of my scouts has gluten and dairy allergies. I have found new ways of baking without gluten and dairy! My key is timing - I always bake when I know I can share. That way, I don't have to worry about leftovers (which I will nibble on until they are gone. Really gotta work on that willpower thing!)
    Good luck!
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    and I don't really have any friends. What can I do with these baked goods?

This is a perfect way to make new friends!! Students LOVE free food!! If you live in halls, go knock on some doors, introduce yourself and take your goodies. Take them to lectures and offer them to the people sitting near you, or invited people to a study group and promise to provide cookies/cakes etc.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Find out if there are any shelters in the area that accept left over food. There is one in my area (Boca Helping Hands) that accepts food donations to give to poor/homeless.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    give to homeless
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    the homeless shelter idea is fantastic. do that!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the charitable ideas. How about putting your talents to some form of fund raising for a charity or charities.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I love baking, but I'm not so good at it, so I can't already sell anything. And my friends and flatmates never eat much :/ I usually bake muffins, cupcakes or cakes if someone is coming around. Otherwise I keep some for my breakfast, but since most pastries are not edible after 1-2 days, I need to give them away.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bring them to work (or send them with your boyfriend) and leave them in the break room. They will be gone in 5 minutes.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too love to bake, but living near a university is helpful. I called the housemother of a fraternity and the guys love them. I also send boxes of goodies to my oldest grandson who is in the Air Force going to school. His friends love everything. I send them in the flat rate boxes and it's less then $18 and they get them in 2-3 days. I also take some to our local police and fire departments and they sent me a beautiful card with a picture them all eating my fudge.