4 Month Weight Loss

Options
I am 5'2" and 198 lbs. If I stick to a 1200 calorie intake per day, do strength training 2 days a week, and do cardio 2 days a week, how much weight can I lose in 4 months?

Replies

• ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    well in 4 months I would think you could get close to your goal and do it rather healthy.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I would guess anywhere from 0 - 16 lbs.. but who really knows.. 4 months is a long time to eat so little and not binge/quit/get discouraged
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would guess anywhere from 0 - 16 lbs.. but who really knows.. 4 months is a long time to eat so little and not binge/quit/get discouraged

Yup. So many things could happen. Especially with 1200 calories a day, which is IMO very little, the possibility of going over and binge is high. I know it was for me when I tried the whole 1200 calories thing.

Normally, a healthy loss is of about 1lb a week
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you log into MFP daily, it should help you estimate that (like when you finish logging and it says "If every day were like today, you'd weigh xx lbs").
    Kind of hard for us to give you a number when it depends how many calories you're burning and what kinds of food you're eating. For example,does "Cardio 2x per week" mean running for 90 minutes, or a 30 minute aerobics video?

But if you are just working with the 1200 number, here is a formula that may help you. It's how many days it will take you to lose 1 lb....

Weight x 11 = a
    a- calorie allowance = b
    3500/b = days it takes to lose 1 lb

So here you go..

198 x 11 = 2178
    2178-1200 = 978
    3500/978 = 3.6 days to lose one lb

120 days is 4 months, so 120/3.6 = 33 lbs, more or less, if you are consistent.

Good luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    50# in four months is kinda fast, in my opinion, if you're looking to keep it off forever. You look pretty young. Don't start the life-long trend of crash diet - gain it back +10 - crash diet - gain it back +10 more.

Your total weight loss will depend on the amount of your calorie deficit. If you have a calorie deficit of 750 every day, you should lose about 25 pounds in 4 months. A 1000 per day deficit would be about 34 pounds.

Total calories used - total calories consumed = calorie deficit

So if you used 2200 calories per day and consumed 1200 total, that would make a calorie deficit of 1000 per day.