Weighing meat

Options
Do you weight it raw or cooked? To me, weighing it cooked makes more sense because it tends to shrink up and lose weight as it cooks. And I don't know about you but I certainly don't eat chicken raw :noway:

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The nutritional information on the label of your meat is for the raw weight, because as you said it's going to shrink up once you cook it. If you choose to weigh it after it's cooked be sure you're choosing the appropriate entry in the database (ie, not the standard raw entry but one that says cooked).
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw, the cooking process may affect the calories, like roast beef

If you weigh it raw, and it loses fat in cooking so be it, you will be under calories, if cooking process adds calories, like frying, you would need to include the oil / fat in the food log, like 5ml oil for instance
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Raw is more accurate, but if you have to weigh it cooked (like me), find an entry for cooked.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome post, I think you read my mind I was just thinking about that this morning. Sometimes I weigh raw, sometimes cooked but yeah I try to find the proper nutrition info on MFP by making sure if i weighed it cooked it says it's for cooked because it will say higher calories/protein/carbs/fat since it accounts for the water loss. Sometimes it's hard to know which entry to trust though even if they say cooked/raw :/ today i was putting in 5.5 oz of cooked chicken breast and it said 105 calories which seemed too low so I switched to another and it said closer to 200. In general I like to be a little under my daily calorie goal for discrepancies like that! :)
  • Soufre
    Soufre Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So I know the MFP database has info on both raw and cooked meat. Would it be more accurate to weight it raw and use the raw information, or to cook it then used the information for the cooking method you used? Like baked chicken vs broiled chicken vs grilled chicken.

The more I think about it, the more I just want to weigh it raw because it's easier hahaha
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    So I know the MFP database has info on both raw and cooked meat. Would it be more accurate to weight it raw and use the raw information, or to cook it then used the information for the cooking method you used? Like baked chicken vs broiled chicken vs grilled chicken.

The more I think about it, the more I just want to weigh it raw because it's easier hahaha

Do what's easiest for you, for me I weigh cooked. I am cooking for more than myself so to weigh raw is to difficult in trying to keep track of what piece is mine. Lol! I sometimes have the scale right on the table, throw it in and then on to my plate. Done! Good Luck!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I've found weighing it raw and using the raw data to be the most accurate for me. But the cooking method can add calories, too. So it's a bit of a guesstimate if you're doing things like frying in oil how much of that oil you're actually putting in your mouth.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options

Baked v. broiled v. grilled shouldn't make any difference (compared to each other), assuming you're cooking to the same degree of doneness and you don't add any fat or marinade, or you account for any added fat or marinade.

Raw is probably a little more accurate, since a database entry for cooked can't account for differences in how done (or dried out) the chicken ends up. But there could be more variation in the raw chickens based on how much water weight the processor has added, although in theory that shouldn't be an issue with parts that are sold just as chicken (i.e., no labeling or ingredients list to account for any liquid "solution" added).
  • Soufre
    Options
    Raw is starting to make sense. Even if the meat shrinks, all the calories should be there. If not, I'd rather over estimate my calorie consumption than under estimate it.

So would it be safe to assume that vegetables follow this rule as well?
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Baked v. broiled v. grilled shouldn't make any difference (compared to each other), assuming you're cooking to the same degree of doneness and you don't add any fat or marinade, or you account for any added fat or marinade.

I thought the same until a friend of mine (she's a cook specialized in healthy food) told me that way you cook the meat does affect the nutritional value. She explained something about the temperature and the cooking times. And as a example she told me that grilled chicken breast has more protein per gram than baked.

I weigh cooked, and choose the cooking method when logging. To me is just easier. that way. Some other stuff I do measure before cooking, for example pasta.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said about raw being the most accurate. However, it is also dependent on choosing an accurate entry in the database. MFP entries for meat tend to be all over the place. I usually try to look for " USDA raw" entries. For foods that have a ton of variability in the entries, I often do a web search outside of MFP and try to find an entry that matches up closest to other calorie counting websites that do not rely on member entries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options

Do whatever is easiest for you...sometimes you have to do cooked because it's a roast or something. But having worked in the restaurant industry for a number of years I can tell you that to meet the stated calories, everything is raw weight unless otherwise stated...bacon is the only thing that comes to mind where the calories per serving are for cooked slices.
    I thought the same until a friend of mine (she's a cook specialized in healthy food) told me that way you cook the meat does affect the nutritional value. She explained something about the temperature and the cooking times. And as a example she told me that grilled chicken breast has more protein per gram than baked.

The difference would be negligible and hardly worth obsessing over.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i weigh it raw. i usually buy a lot and weigh it out and put in baggies and put in the freezer till i use it.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Raw is starting to make sense. Even if the meat shrinks, all the calories should be there. If not, I'd rather over estimate my calorie consumption than under estimate it.

So would it be safe to assume that vegetables follow this rule as well?

Yes for veg, weigh raw or the cooking method will affect the weight / calories, for instance roast potatoes versus plain boiled

Cabbage, raw versus boiled or steamed?
  • xchelsae
    xchelsae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What if the chicken is frozen? Does that make a difference? A lot of times I will just stick the frozen chicken into some boiling water...
  • Soufre
    Options
    What if the chicken is frozen? Does that make a difference? A lot of times I will just stick the frozen chicken into some boiling water...

I think it doesn't make a difference. The water in the chicken will expand when frozen and contract when thawed but otherwise it should weigh the same.

http://askville.amazon.com/frozen-meat-weigh/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4234700
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    raw. That is the most accurate. During cooking, the meat loses some of the water (that has no calories) and becomes more calorie dense. However there is no telling how much water it lost, so now it becomes a guesstimate.

weigh raw whenever you can to be as accurate as possible.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Along with a lot of the reasons stated here for weighing it raw, I have another,, I usually by a large package of chicken, like boneless breasts , then I will weigh and portion them out before freezing them. I will write the size like 4 oz. And the date and then into the freezer they go. Oh and this is also a good time to remove any fat etc before weighing and packaging them !!