Toning Belts - Do they work?

Options
Hi. I've been looking into toning belts and I wondered if anybody had any first hand experience. First of all, do they work on the obese? I understand that they help muscle definition (of course along with regular exercise) so I originally suspected they wouldn't really help with actually toning if you're obese (which I still am). However, some people I know swear that their waists have been getting a little smaller simply using the belt with very little exercise and I was wondering if it does aid with slimming to an extent?

Just to clarify - I know this isn't any kind of 'magic fix' and won't miraculously give me some kind of six pack. It would be combined with staying within my macros and under my calorie goal I'm just curious as to whether it would aid in firming up my stomach a bit as the weight goes down? Thanks!

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    They make you lose water weight temporarily in that area. We used to 'sweat' our horses' necks before shows to make them look more elegant. It lasts one day.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Save your money...

They are just a gimmick to get your cash. They don't do anything for muscle definition either.

Weight training and lowering body fat percentage is the only thing that will help muscle definition and a calorie deficit is the only way to lose fat.

Good luck...
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No. I used to work in Selfridges and they sold Slendertone belts - they also made ones for your face that was supposed to lift your cheekbones. It bloody hurt and cost a fortune. That money would be better invested elsewhere.
    Lose weight the proper way and stop trying to look for shortcuts - you didn't gain the weight over night!
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    No. I used to work in Selfridges and they sold Slendertone belts - they also made ones for your face that was supposed to lift your cheekbones. It bloody hurt and cost a fortune. That money would be better invested elsewhere.
    Lose weight the proper way and stop trying to look for shortcuts - you didn't gain the weight over night!

Well, I've lost 50lbs in 4 months and I specifically said I know they aren't a magic fix. I asked if they would tighten my stomach a little not if they would actually make me lose weight... When you lose weight things (such as skin) loosens and I wanted to know if a TONING belt helped TONE loose bits.

Thanks for the helpful replies though guys :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    They do once you plug them in....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Well, I've lost 50lbs in 4 months and I specifically said I know they aren't a magic fix. I asked if they would tighten my stomach a little not if they would actually make me lose weight... When you lose weight things (such as skin) loosens and I wanted to know if a TONING belt helped TONE loose bits.

The answers you got may not have been what you wanted to hear, but they were correct.

The only thing that's going to "TONE" you is body fat reduction - which can be achieved with a moderate calorie deficit, time, patience, and some exercise (strength training helps).
  • Dandman1990
    Options

The answers you got may not have been what you wanted to hear, but they were correct.

The only thing that's going to "TONE" you is body fat reduction - which can be achieved with a moderate calorie deficit, time, patience, and some exercise (strength training helps).

Yeah. I just took exception to the patronising tone of the "you didn't gain it over night". I know that I was eating like a pig and I know that it takes effort to set it right (hence the bit I did in the original post about it not being a magic fix and needing to be combined with diet/exercise regardless). I was just curious about whether or not they help in tightening things up as some Amazon reviews claim they do.

I found all of the other posts helpful :-)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Of course they do, you just put a belt on and they melt away the pounds while toning your muscles... Of course they are real... best part you can go a head and keep eating fast food 3 meals a day.
  • Dandman1990
    Options
    Of course they do, you just put a belt on and they melt away the pounds while toning your muscles... Of course they are real... best part you can go a head and keep eating fast food 3 meals a day.

This is getting really old. Once again, read my original post before commenting and trying to be a complete tool.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Yeah. I just took exception to the patronising tone of the "you didn't gain it over night". I know that I was eating like a pig and I know that it takes effort to set it right (hence the bit I did in the original post about it not being a magic fix and needing to be combined with diet/exercise regardless). I was just curious about whether or not they help in tightening things up as some Amazon reviews claim they do.

I found all of the other posts helpful :-)

It wasn't meant to come across as patronising and I did read your post fully. You admittedly have no experience trying out these products but I do and I'd rather just be blunt and tell you that they don't work. The effect that people claim to feel are the same as the effects you get from 'breast firming gel' or 'snake serum'. These products and machines are designed to create sensations/tingling which makes you believe that something is happening when very little is happening at all. It's great that you want to 'tightening things up' but how you do that is through exercising and there is no other way unless you are willing to undergo surgery. You may not like what I have to say or how I say it but I'm not saying it for my benefit I'm saying it for yours. If you want to leave it then leave it.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    No. They do however have the same electrodes as the TENS units at the physical therapist's office, so they are fantastic for pain relief.
  • quackers82
    quackers82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes they work, my ex partner used it everyday for 2 months and it seemed to make a difference. The clue is in the name, 'Slender Tone', he was 6ft and weighed 10 stone, so he was VERY slender and it helped him look more toned in the stomach. They won't do anything related to weight loss , you need to lose weight first to show off the area its working on. No good at all if your overweight, need to be slender first.
  • Dandman1990
    Options
    Yes they work, my ex partner used it everyday for 2 months and it seemed to make a difference. The clue is in the name, 'Slender Tone', he was 6ft and weighed 10 stone, so he was VERY slender and it helped him look more toned in the stomach. They won't do anything related to weight loss , you need to lose weight first to show off the area its working on. No good at all if your overweight, need to be slender first.

Fair enough. I figured it was more about muscle definition rather than weight loss; thanks!
  • Dandman1990
    Options
    No. They do however have the same electrodes as the TENS units at the physical therapist's office, so they are fantastic for pain relief.

That's a pretty good life hack then! Lol.