I can't eat all these calories

Options
My TDEE tells me I should be eating 1,800 calories per day to maintain my weight and below that, but not under 1,400 calories, to lose weight. I'm 5"3 and 51 kgs and Im trying to lose body fat (sort of a skinny fat situation here), but I find it hard to eat that many calories per day. For example, the I eat 92calories worth of salmon that really fills me up, or 34 calories (2 egg whites) or green tea (no calories) or a seafood salad (175-275 calories, depends). All these foods really fill me up.. but they don't really reach 1,400 or even 1,200 (which is the standard requirement for women) calories per day. I dont know what to do - eat beyond my hunger or continue to eat these foods + exercise...?

Replies

• Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm facing the same problem; I often find that I have "too many" calories to try and fill in the course of a day.

The foods that you've mentioned (salmon, egg whites, seafood, etc.) are REALLY high in protein, which can fill you up really fast. That may be some of it. It is for me - I love fish, eggs, cheese, etc., but unfortunately ALL of those things are very protein-packed.

Wish I had an answer for you. I try to eat a little more than required, but some days I just can't meet it. I don't beat myself up about it, though, tomorrow is always another day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'd put some sauce on the salmon...hollandaise comes to mind...
    why not whole eggs?
    dressing on the salad?
    add avocado to the salad

Just eat more calorie dense items...

I sometimes fill my calories with chocolate or toaster strudel...

as for the "skinny fat" issue losing more weight wont fix that...you need to do a body recomp which includes lifting weights...

at 5 ft 3 and 51kg (about 115lbs) you are at a good weight just need to maintain some muscle while losing a few lbs...
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that 92 calories worth of Salmon FILLS YOU UP???? Are you weighing your proteins becuase 4oz of Salmon is roughly 200 calories so you are telling us that 2 oz of Salmon is filling!!!!!! I think you need to take an honest look at the foods you eat and your relationship with food. I have no problem hitting 1400 calories in a day and its never in a way I feel stuffed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ice-cream.jpg
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Having a huge deficit has resulted in your need to lose body fat more than actual weight.. you need to reduce your deficit to a lower level to lose the body fat without dropping more muscle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly hard to believe that 92 calories worth of Salmon FILLS YOU UP???? Are you weighing your proteins becuase 4oz of Salmon is roughly 200 calories so you are telling us that 2 oz of Salmon is filling!!!!!! I think you need to take an honest look at the foods you eat and your relationship with food. I have no problem hitting 1400 calories in a day and its never in a way I feel stuffed.

This too though...
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options

Not everyone is built the same way internally and externally, so yup I do find that 92 calories worth of salmon fills me up. I dont know how or why, which is why I posted this..

My relationship with food is a healthy one - I do like a treat once in a while like anyone else.. but in general, my eating habits are fine. I just want to know the consequences of eating below the requirement, because that's what's happening with me naturally.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if your weighing and measuring your food? I eat 1200 a day and if I am under I can always find somewhere to put a little more down lol. :) 24 almonds is 163 calories or a bowl of special k cereal and skim milk does the trick. I just don't feel good the next day if I don't eat enough.
  • rk_19
    Options
    Having a huge deficit has resulted in your need to lose body fat more than actual weight.. you need to reduce your deficit to a lower level to lose the body fat without dropping more muscle.

Im sorry but I dont understand... Im a fitness newbie
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    There's very healthy calorie dense foods like avocado, walnuts, coconut milk, olive oil, that will bump up your calorie intake in no time.

Also: cheese, butter, cream, but that's just me
  • rk_19
    Options
    why not whole eggs?
    dressing on the salad?
    add avocado to the salad

as for the "skinny fat" issue losing more weight wont fix that...you need to do a body recomp which includes lifting weights...

at 5 ft 3 and 51kg (about 115lbs) you are at a good weight just need to maintain some muscle while losing a few lbs...

Hey, thanks for the response. I've heard the body recomposition comment before - I've started weight training! Is there anythign else I need to do along with this ? There doesnt seem to be too much info on the web about this.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Not everyone is built the same way internally and externally, so yup I do find that 92 calories worth of salmon fills me up. I dont know how or why, which is why I posted this..

My relationship with food is a healthy one - I do like a treat once in a while like anyone else.. but in general, my eating habits are fine. I just want to know the consequences of eating below the requirement, because that's what's happening with me naturally.

The consequences is that you will remain what you call "skinny fat".
    It's not really that hard to add more calories without a lot more volume in food. 2 TBS of peanut butter is almost 200 calories. Do that each night before bed. Toss 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on your salad for another 100 or so calories. Eat full fat dairy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

What this is suggesting is because you're not eating enough food, your body is cannibalizing muscle tissue to find the nutrients it needs. This is why you have this sense that you're skinny-fat. Because your body is burning off its muscles instead of burning off the fat.

This poster is suggesting you eat more.
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You are already a product of those consequences which is why you are unhealthy. Underfeeding your body will cause everything you eat to store as fat, not to mention the massive metabolic damage. I can tell you having spent time working as a weight loss counselor that the MASS majority of people that come in with incredibly high body FAT percentages are people who underfeed their body.
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    Well I would suggest you add some fat to your diet... a handful of nuts, eat the egg yolks with the whites, maybe drizzle your salmon with some olive oil and herbs. I am not seeing any vegetables or grains in that list of foods you eat. Surely you are not eating just fish and egg whites?

Anyway if all you are eating is seafood {which is good for you} then adding some variety might help. Something with more fat in it naturally but I don't see how you can possibly be eating that little in a sitting unless you are eating every couple of hours. 92 calories of salmon is something like an ounce~ maybe two. A serving of fish is usually 4 ounces. You could easily double your calories by eating 2 ounces of ground beef instead of salmon.

I realize this is the fitness pal and fitness experts often say to eat more seafood so I am not trying to push red meat on you but could eat a meatball of something 0.o
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Also remember fat does not make you fat. Eat the whole egg.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The consequences are losing fat+muscle ......as opposed to losing mostly fat.

Losing weight slowly (small deficit) + eating lots of protein + strength training......is how you retain as much muscle as possible while eating at a deficit.

Think of your protien goal as a minimum.....concentrate on that. Then get enough fat.....egg yolks, olive oil, avocado, nut butters, nuts. These calorie dense foods have small portion sizes.
  • rk_19
    Options
    Well I would suggest you add some fat to your diet... a handful of nuts, eat the egg yolks with the whites, maybe drizzle your salmon with some olive oil and herbs. I am not seeing any vegetables or grains in that list of foods you eat. Surely you are not eating just fish and egg whites?

Anyway if all you are eating is seafood {which is good for you} then adding some variety might help. Something with more fat in it naturally but I don't see how you can possibly be eating that little in a sitting unless you are eating every couple of hours. 92 calories of salmon is something like an ounce~ maybe two. A serving of fish is usually 4 ounces. You could easily double your calories by eating 2 ounces of ground beef instead of salmon.

I realize this is the fitness pal and fitness experts often say to eat more seafood so I am not trying to push red meat on you but could eat a meatball of something 0.o

Ok great, thanks for the advice! No, I do eat vegetables haha I forgot to include that... :P
  • rk_19
    Options

The consequences are losing fat+muscle ......as opposed to losing mostly fat.

Losing weight slowly (small deficit) + eating lots of protein + strength training......is how you retain as much muscle as possible while eating at a deficit.

Think of your protien goal as a minimum.....concentrate on that. Then get enough fat.....egg yolks, olive oil, avocado, nut butters, nuts. These calorie dense foods have small portion sizes.

Thank you :) my protein goal as a minimum? Not quite following you there..!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why not whole eggs?
    dressing on the salad?
    add avocado to the salad

Hey, thanks for the response. I've heard the body recomposition comment before - I've started weight training! Is there anythign else I need to do along with this ? There doesnt seem to be too much info on the web about this.

Well as another poster suggested do TDEE-5-10% instead of 20%, ensure you are getting enough protien....8g per Lean body mass (so rough guess...min 90g) ensure you get enough fat into your diet as well.

Choose a program that challenages you such as Starting strenght or Strong lifts...or even bodyweight stuff until you are comfortable with the movements and your strenght increases.

You will find by doing that you get the results you want...now keep in mind the weight comes off slower but inches are key here and Body Fat %...take some pics for comparison...and measurments and watch how your cloths change in the way they fit.

I often use my sister as an example as she was a slave to scale too...except now she has watched me change the look of my body and she does a lot of circut training with dumbells...moved from 3lb to 15-20lb now..and she is about 19% BF I would say and is 126lbs...43 and 5ft4...so don't be a slave to the scale...just like what you see in the mirror.